Be honest: What were you 100% sure would be in V11 but didn't make the cut?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Luxuria

29 Aug 2019

I honestly thought, with all my heart, that we were going to see themes (black + blue) for the mixer.

Other then that, I was 75/25 split on thinking Combinator2 was going to make an appearance. It's been a long time since combinator has been released. The hardware that keeps coming out has at minimum 8 knobs or pads. The partnership with Akai should have put some pressure on the idea.

What feature surprised you the most that it wasn't in Reason 11?

Last Alternative

29 Aug 2019

*overhaul of sequencer (much better audio editing & user-friendliness)
*modern-looking resolution on everything (ReDrum, NNXT, Mclass stuff, etc.)
*fix the slight video lag on Mac here and there
*make themes apply to the mixer
*more stuff for guitarists
*more included devices (existing or new)

I thought this one would be huge since 10 wasn't. Looking forward to updates.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

lakinlakin

29 Aug 2019

GUI update.
When this finally does happen, I will upgrade from v10.

joeyluck

29 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
29 Aug 2019
*overhaul of sequencer (much better audio editing & user-friendliness)
What more specifically with this?

They've added:

- increased vertical zoom
- individual track zoom
- crossfade audio clips
- automation curves
- multiple note pencil
- muting of MIDI notes
- new piano roll showing played and selected notes

Something I'd like to see is alt audio tracks presented the same way as additional note lanes; all visible in the Sequencer (not having to dive into comp edit) and not duplicating devices to create alt/dub audio tracks.

toddbooster

29 Aug 2019

I really thought we'd get track freezing, and some kind of improvements to project versioning and history (Imagine if Reason could save differential versions of the project file automatically).

I kinda hoped there would be punch markers.

Can't the mixer stay white? An SSL 9000 is kinda white anyway, so it doesn't bug me too much.

guitfnky

29 Aug 2019

auto punch; GUI/resolution updates; markers; VST MIDI; track folders; crossfades (glad this made the cut); independent track resizing (glad for this too)

those are the things I was convinced they’d be giving us, by now, but I expected those updates and a slew of others that people have been asking for.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2019

I thought for sure we would get high res graphics, track folders and Combinator 2.

Loque

29 Aug 2019

Track folders.
Reason12, Win10

Luxuria

29 Aug 2019

Ok, to prevent this from becoming another request thread.

Think of all the version updates before this one. Notice how they had at most 10 features all together even after point updates.

Having that said. Be realistic and state 1, maybe 2 features that you were sure would be in V11.

rgdaniel

29 Aug 2019

I was confidently (if quietly) predicting VST3 support. You know, given that VST2 is now deprecated...

guitfnky

29 Aug 2019

Luxuria wrote:
29 Aug 2019

Think of all the version updates before this one. Notice how they had at most 10 features all together even after point updates.

Having that said. Be realistic and state 1, maybe 2 features that you were sure would be in V11.
we are being realistic. personally, I was convinced they were going to listen to users and that workflow updates/improvements were going to be the main focus of the release. I was expecting significantly more than 10 of these kinds of features would make it into Reason 11.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

fieldframe
RE Developer

29 Aug 2019

Luxuria wrote:
29 Aug 2019
But that's the First Law of ReasonTalk!

As the length of a thread increases, the probability that it will turn into a feature request thread always trends toward 100%.

plasticfractal

29 Aug 2019

I would have bet big money that the scalable high res GUI would have been in v11. I just thought no matter what else, that one just had to be there. I had no idea the main feature would be a new product for other DAW users. But I respect the choice they made from a business standpoint, and I also expect the high res update in a point update (if there is a god).

diminished
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2019

VST3, HiRes gfx, auto punch, Combinator 2 and track folders.
Not my personal favorites, but that's what I expected besides the usual cool Prop things nobody even thinks of.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

parma

29 Aug 2019

Three things I thought were almost certain:

- VST3 support (how this didn't make it baffles me)
- VST MIDI support
- Better slicing functionality (like having Recycle inside Dr Rex)

Last Alternative

29 Aug 2019

parma wrote:
29 Aug 2019
VST3 support (how this didn't make it baffles me)
Because they rushed it. LOL the SSL devices weren't even in the video! :D
Gotta say it makes them look even worse IMO like .. the fux goin on over there? haha

P.S. I'm hoping for the best wishes to REASON STUDIOS to do right by us and continue been our favorite Daw.
(sorry to get off track, OP)
Last edited by Last Alternative on 29 Aug 2019, edited 3 times in total.
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Goriila Texas

29 Aug 2019

Markers at the very least which seems very easy to implement.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
29 Aug 2019
parma wrote:
29 Aug 2019
VST3 support (how this didn't make it baffles me)
Because they rushed it. LOL the SSL devices weren't even in the video! :D
Gotta say it makes them look even worse IMO like .. the fux goin on over there? haha
Well, they kinda could not wait any longer. Actual release end of Sept, it means any annoying bug that shows up HAS to be fixed before Black Friday. That is very tight - I'd be nervous. From Black Friday through X-mas they will make huge amount of sale, like everyone selling to consumers, they just can't screw that up. So, it is what it is, they had to fix the VST CPU issue (took "forever"), then work to clean up the bugs after that, then they had 5w of vacation.

So, they probably worked harder than ever on this update, but for us customers it is still a bit underwhelming, because the customer look at new features and usefulness/value. So, I do feel a bit sorry for them, but they also made their own bed, by pushing out a bad VST version even though most of it, if not all, of that VST code was written years before release. Their fault for sitting on it and then still not getting it right. Meanwhile Presonus pushes out 60 to 80 new updates in their 4.1 and 4.5 releases for FREE, so yeah expectations are high. The "DAW update war continues"... If they did half of what Presonus did, say 30 feature updates (incl fixing the new Rack VST feature set) in a 11.2 update, I think they can turn a lot of this badwill around.

Just stop selling a new RE for $99 bucks (Processed Pianos July 25th) and do a deal of the week on another for $49 (Umpf Aug 18) a few weeks/days before you price them in a bundle for about $12/$8 bucks each. The message not to buy Reasons own REs individually is SOO STRONG when this happens. And this took place on the new CEOs watch too (started June 4?), not the best of starts...

Niklas - time to write up some new marketing and campaign guidelines - fix the process. Communicate with customers. It may be some hard words in the first few feedbacks you get, but done right, it will serve better in the long run. Be sensitive to the core Reason DAW users too, crossgrades to other DAWs are sold for just a tad bit more than a Reason upgrade - that is probably your most fierce competitor at the moment. Like they say on YouTube - stay woke!
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

VariableX

29 Aug 2019

I thought VST midi and some kinda hot new Synth.

MannequinRaces

29 Aug 2019

I thought for sure a new Combinator.

Data_Shrine

29 Aug 2019

HDPi display resolution update, with zoomable rack. Now I won't even believe it will happen in R12.

gaclab

29 Aug 2019

VST3 and some RE that writes the entire song for me. :)

Raveshaper

29 Aug 2019

This is a weird question.

It's weird because I don't honestly believe that any meaningful change will happen because so little of it does. Worse than that, I have no reason to believe anyone working on this program has the training required to write the changes people want or need.

It's almost like hobbyists cobbling together this weird thing for other hobbyists, but not really knowing what they're doing because they've never had to know in the past.

So, if that outlook qualifies, I would say that I 100% expected the same stuff as before to be sold again, but with possibly minor changes that address very old bugs that should never have made it into production. They legally have to do something, no matter how small, to constitute a new product. Even if that's taking existing code and duplicating it into "new" devices, like the rack version of Master Comp. Users already paid for that. They don't need to buy it again.

You have to get your head straight about the game so far. These aren't product updates, they're a donation drive. This is a periodic crowdfunding campaign that houses, feeds, and clothes a very small support team. The nominal price of $129 pays for that, not for vast sweeping changes. It's just too cheap to fund anything more than that.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

boingy

30 Aug 2019

VST3 and VST Midi.

Reason claims VST compatibility but without VST3 and VST MIDI it's a bit like claiming Windows compatibility and then excluding the 64 bit versions.

Last Alternative

30 Aug 2019

Harsh words but true to say the least. Has anyone reached out to them for some public clarification? We deserve answers. Does anyone here live in Sweden that can knock on the door and ask what’s up?
Last edited by Last Alternative on 30 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

• Information