What new feature(s) are you most excited about with Reason 11?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2019

So I think we've covered most of the criticisms with this upgrade in other threads already.
Let's focus on the positive aspects of Reason 11.
It doesn't matter whether you're planning to upgrade right now or not. You can still benefit from the new changes later on if you upgrade when R12 (or even R13) is released.

What new features are you most excited about?

WeLoveYouToo

29 Aug 2019

crossfades.
and resizing track heights on an individual basis.
and midi mute will be nice to avoid ctrl+x/crtl+v midi sections to a new track
nothing worth 129.99 though.

Faastwalker

29 Aug 2019

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
29 Aug 2019
crossfades.
Same here. But that's about it to be honest. Definitely not worth the upgrade price for me. I've been doing these things in Acid Pro for close to two decades now! :o So the upgrade price for these features is kind of ludicrous for me personally. The new devices are fair enough but not that exciting. The new Hybrid instrument RE, if it were included in Reason 11, looks like it could have swung the upgrade for me. But it's only available in the bundle thing ......... except it isn't though. Apparently it's going to be available separately, which is good but makes the bundle even less enticing than it already wasn't! :?
Last edited by Faastwalker on 29 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

CephaloPod

29 Aug 2019

I've always wanted to use Reason within another DAW (Logic Pro). Looks like now I'll be able to, once they do a AU version. I never could get into ReWire. Too much of a hassle. It will be interesting to see how everything works within another DAW, and what limitations there will be, and how that actually plays out when composing.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

Last Alternative

29 Aug 2019

Yeah crossfades and curve automation. The new fx look cool but we already have tons of fx. So 2 things is all Propellerhead really offered me this time around and it’s unbelievable they are just now adding them in 2019!
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

DParris

29 Aug 2019

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
29 Aug 2019
crossfades.
and midi mute will be nice to avoid ctrl+x/crtl+v midi sections to a new track
nothing worth 129.99 though.
Yep, crossfades and curves top the list.
Also, it's not groundbreaking, but I'm looking forward to using the rack-mountable channel strip eq/compressors. That will open up more options for routing those particular devices in different orders with other inserts.

boingy

29 Aug 2019

Absolutely the Rack VST. That is going to hugely increase my use of Reason instruments. I'll be carefully watching the point increments in R11. There is bound to be an 11.1 fairly soon to incorporate the inevitable bug fixes but I'm expecting that to include a few more workflow improvements too - stuff that is currently almost finished but didn't quite make it into the main release.

Last Alternative

29 Aug 2019

DParris wrote:I'm looking forward to using the rack-mountable channel strip eq/compressors
So weird how the R11 promo video didn’t even show them when the narrator girl was talking about adding them to the rack. Guess they really rushed everything.
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

DParris

29 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
29 Aug 2019
DParris wrote:I'm looking forward to using the rack-mountable channel strip eq/compressors
So weird how the R11 promo video didn’t even show them when the narrator girl was talking about adding them to the rack. Guess they really rushed everything.

Yeah, looks like they haven't finished the graphics for the new rack units?

antic604

29 Aug 2019

Other than Rack VST? MIDI keyboard highlighting and jumps by +/- 1 octave. Pretty sad, really.

Steedus
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2019

Updating (or adding new devices rather) the stock chorus, flanger, phaser and filter effects is something I'd begun to give up on, especially after the RE format came in, so that's awesome!

I'm also excited to see what the new Scenic instrument is.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2019

SSL Master Bus Compressor as a rack device. Love that compressor. If it had been available as a RE before I'm sure I would have bought it a long time ago, even for a good amount of money.
Curved automation.
The 2 new effect devices. Sweeper Modulation Effect. Quartet Chorus Ensemble. Judging from the demos I think they sound pretty good. Looking forward to trying them out.
Octave shortcut. This is one of those seemingly small improvements, but I suspect I'll be using this a lot.
Key visualization.
Mute midi notes.
Crossfades.

Yonatan

29 Aug 2019

Well, if I upgrade on a point update later, coming from R10, I really find the vertical zooming handy, as that was what I loved when testing Audition and Ableton.

And the octave up-down with midinotes as well as to see the notes better in the keyroll.
Crossfades and curved automation will be nice, but could manage without, but it may save some time when editing for sure, so very welcome. And muting midinotes not at least!

And off course I do like the opening up of using all REs in other softwares as a plugin. It will be fun to see lot more videos on youtube about reviews of Rack Extensions etc.

And the 3 part of the mixer will be heavily used in my rack as one have come to know them almpst like 2nd nature, how they work and sound. And would help even when working in another DAW.

Least excited about the 2 modulation efx. Mostly because having many such already and those demo clips dont do it for me, so have to try it within my own songs. I do see the good in updating those half racks. So it is cool. Who knows, they might become a "go to" choice when drag an drop in some modulation. And I do look forward to checking thay filter out.

So in all I think it is a little goodie bag, but need AU and more improvements to th core of Reason to get onboard to the latest version.
Probably knows more next year.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

29 Aug 2019

The SSL sections as rack devices is kind of enticing as it sort of harkens back to the old days when you'd have to toss an EQ on the device instead of having it all happen in the mixer, but using them comes with the cost of losing the precision of the spectrum. Options I definitely wouldn't have thought about but are kind of cool nonetheless. Having that master compressor available to toss on anything sounds like fun.

EdGrip

29 Aug 2019

Apart from the VST Rack?

Muting midi notes. Have often wanted that.

Loque

29 Aug 2019

Crossfades and curved automation. The scaling of a single track is cool too. Having the SSL Comp and SSL Master Compressor in the rack is great.

The additional fx, gate and EQ are welcome, mostly for patch creation and sharing. The rack VST is great, but not much for me at this point.
Reason12, Win10

Boombastix
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2019

I'm stoked about the Rack Plugin of course (and I'm begging to god that it soon will be able to host VSTs and do all the internal midi things too).
Mute midi notes in the sequencer - of the few sequencer updates, they picked a good one - this feature is super useful when playing around with melody ideas. Was not possible before.

Auto curves - nice, could kinda do ok "curves" before, but this is way nicer. Once I start using them I think this feature will be more appreciated. I hope we can save automation clips and quickly use them in other songs.
Move octave up/down is nice but I could do it before by hand, so not critical but nice to have. When looking at "layered" clips that are an octave apart and you just make the notes jump up an octave to see how it matches the other clip, and then jump back, that can be quite useful I guess.

I will probably enjoy the keys light up on the piano roll, nice, but not super critical.
Will probably use the new FX (if I upgrade), but I have enough of such devices already. Will know when I hear them to early to say.
Crossfades - suppose I can use them instead of just doing fade in/fade out, little bit better.
Zoom - nice to have but won't change that much, guess I don't have to lean forward as often.
SSL modules, meh, I have too many EQ and Comp, but I know it has been requested, so fine then.

They take away is, it is a few nice additions, and I absolutely prefer the ones that does something that was not possible before, or was extremely cumbersome to do.
So we cannot do: midi comping, I cannot see the audio "notes" layered with midi notes, and there is no easy way to do auto punch in/out (using locators), and the jumping of the window position after getting in/out of a clip, drives my nuts sometime.
Hopefully we will see more focus on features that was impossible or very cumbersome to do, or stuff that are kinda broken the way they work.

But if the Rack Plugin cannot host other VSTs will I use it instead of R10 Rewire, I just don't know? If I don't then the three updates I like is $40 bucks each, $40 buck to mute midi notes, good lord...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Creativemind

29 Aug 2019

CephaloPod wrote:
29 Aug 2019
I've always wanted to use Reason within another DAW (Logic Pro). Looks like now I'll be able to, once they do a AU version. I never could get into ReWire. Too much of a hassle. It will be interesting to see how everything works within another DAW, and what limitations there will be, and how that actually plays out when composing.
Yes, there'll be no browser I'm guessing so how will you easily audition Dr.Octo.Rex patches in another daw. Interesting to see/ hear how it all works . Hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

All the features look cool and all will be use by me but still in 2 minds whether I'll upgrade. A few more features:- sync'ing windows and browsers on the fly, cloning clips, tempo detect of audio with fit to tempo, undo history, midi chase and themes affect mixeru option would've ptobably swung it for me.

I've signed up for the beta so hopefully in the next few days I'll be on that to test out the new features and may even demo it as well. After that I'll have to really weigh up if I think 6 features is worth it for £100 lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

ShelLuser

29 Aug 2019

Reason as a rack and obviously the master bus compressor as a separate device. In fact, I think it's funny that Live introduced the "Glue Compressor" (a device from both Cytomic & Ableton) after Reason had released the master bus compressor. Also because there are some similarities between them (IMO of course)...

compressors.jpg
compressors.jpg (48.11 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
(left: master bus compressor, right: Live's glue compressor)

Each to their own but to me this is proof that Reason definitely set some standards in its time.
--- :reason:

Last Alternative

29 Aug 2019

Will we keep saying “maybe next time” every time? Maybe they’ll upgrade the graphics.. maybe they’ll modernize the sequencer... maybe they’ll fix the bugs... maybe they’ll do a new sampler.. maybe next time it’ll be a huge upgrade..
While we keep shelling out money for puny upgrades? PH knows damn well they’re stiffing us lol

joeyluck

29 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
29 Aug 2019
Will we keep saying “maybe next time” every time? Maybe they’ll upgrade the graphics.. maybe they’ll modernize the sequencer... maybe they’ll fix the bugs... maybe they’ll do a new sampler.. maybe next time it’ll be a huge upgrade..
While we keep shelling out money for puny upgrades? PH knows damn well they’re stiffing us lol
There will always be something missing that someone wants. So unless everything imaginable is included in the next update, then yes, some people will keep doing that.

And those people will proceed with doing it, and repeating themselves in every thread imaginable, even the threads that ask users what they are excited about and note to keep the criticisms to other threads... :P :lol:

exxx

29 Aug 2019

Is there a lot of updates that can be picked and uneven?

exxx

29 Aug 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
29 Aug 2019
Reason as a rack and obviously the master bus compressor as a separate device. In fact, I think it's funny that Live introduced the "Glue Compressor" (a device from both Cytomic & Ableton) after Reason had released the master bus compressor. Also because there are some similarities between them (IMO of course)...

compressors.jpg

Each to their own but to me this is proof that Reason definitely set some standards in its time.
Everyone ! Do you see a good 'dry / wet' knob that is easy to use?
Last edited by exxx on 29 Aug 2019, edited 2 times in total.

exxx

29 Aug 2019

exxx wrote:
29 Aug 2019
ShelLuser wrote:
29 Aug 2019

Everyone ! Do you see a good 'dry / wet' knob that is easy to use?

Last Alternative

29 Aug 2019

joeyluckpost_id=461916time=1567086866 wrote:There will always be something missing that someone wants. So unless everything imaginable is included in the next update, then yes, some people will keep doing that.

And those people will proceed with doing it, and repeating themselves in every thread imaginable, even the threads that ask users what they are excited about and note to keep the criticisms to other threads... :P :lol:
I guess you missed my point of the specific things I mentioned. Things we should have had a long time ago since it IS 2019 and all.. Obviously it’s never complete because there’s always new technology but Reason is always lagging behind what’s out there. I’ve always known you’re a good little loyalist tho, defending PH at all cost.

I did say what I like about R11 in my first post here by the way...

Ban me if you want. No loss.

• Information