WHY are you thinking of changing DAW? (if you are)

This forum is for discussing Propellerhead's music software. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
MattiasHG
Posts: 281
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 28 Aug 2019

electrofux wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Matthias cant you give us a bit more specifics about how the plugin works? Like will there be Midi Out/Notes to Track, is Remote Present, how is automation handled with the myriad of parameters a Rack can have etc.
No MIDI Out in the first version, but it's definitely being considered. Remote is not present, for VSTs DAWs generally handle hardware and MIDI control. You can automate parameters via the host, it works differently in every host and we're not 100% done with implementation but in Live, for example, you can turn rotaries to "learn" them in Live's interface etc.
diminished wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Mattias, thank you. I'll take your word for it.
Just two consecutive questions, you've probably read many opinions on R11.
Can you _understand_ why this is for the most part still not an attractive upgrade for Reason-only users and will this be discussed internally?
I understand, the marketing was heavy on the plug in message because it's very important that it reaches outside of our normal channels. I've compared Reason 11's feature set to a lot of older .0 upgrades and I still stand by it being solid and great features. I can't wait for you guys to try Sweeper (coolest effect I've used in years, it can do SO much!), the new track zoom and curved automation for example. I do understand that it's not attractive for all Reason-only users, I've seen both negativity and positivity from that group, but I read all the posts so I understand your reasoning. I still hope you'll really like the upgrade when you try it, but my main point was: we're not abandoning Reason as a DAW.

User avatar
MannequinRaces
Posts: 1044
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 28 Aug 2019

We really are lucky that the product manager talks to us! Thanks Mattias!

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 2235
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Post 28 Aug 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
28 Aug 2019
We really are lucky that the product manager talks to us! Thanks Mattias!
I'd rather track folders & freezing, high-res GUI and scaling, alias clips, etc... ;) :D

Just kidding. Great to have Mattias around! :)
Bitwig 3 // Reason 10 // Cubase Pro 10 @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604
other stuff - "Psytrance in Bitwig Studio" tutorial

EdGrip
Posts: 1506
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

Post 28 Aug 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
28 Aug 2019
We really are lucky that the product manager talks to us! Thanks Mattias!
Word! :)

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1157
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 28 Aug 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
28 Aug 2019
electrofux wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Matthias cant you give us a bit more specifics about how the plugin works? Like will there be Midi Out/Notes to Track, is Remote Present, how is automation handled with the myriad of parameters a Rack can have etc.
No MIDI Out in the first version, but it's definitely being considered. Remote is not present, for VSTs DAWs generally handle hardware and MIDI control. You can automate parameters via the host, it works differently in every host and we're not 100% done with implementation but in Live, for example, you can turn rotaries to "learn" them in Live's interface etc.
diminished wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Mattias, thank you. I'll take your word for it.
Just two consecutive questions, you've probably read many opinions on R11.
Can you _understand_ why this is for the most part still not an attractive upgrade for Reason-only users and will this be discussed internally?
I understand, the marketing was heavy on the plug in message because it's very important that it reaches outside of our normal channels. I've compared Reason 11's feature set to a lot of older .0 upgrades and I still stand by it being solid and great features. I can't wait for you guys to try Sweeper (coolest effect I've used in years, it can do SO much!), the new track zoom and curved automation for example. I do understand that it's not attractive for all Reason-only users, I've seen both negativity and positivity from that group, but I read all the posts so I understand your reasoning. I still hope you'll really like the upgrade when you try it, but my main point was: we're not abandoning Reason as a DAW.
Thanks so much. What the others said. It feels good to be heard.

I'll definitely try what R11 is offering, but if it's not enough for me to upgrade, skipping a version isn't unheard of and that's totally fine, too.
Like you said, it's important to reach more people than just the hardcore crowd and your company is trying that in a brilliant way, so congratulations.

Ok guys I need a hug now. :D

chaosroyale
Posts: 224
Joined: 05 Sep 2017

Post 28 Aug 2019

I don't think this is so hard to understand. It is not the case that people who were perfectly happy suddenly decided to abandon Reason.

Think back to the early days of Reason - at that time a "DAW" was a "MIDI sequencer" or an audio recorder. Reason came along with this really new and cool paradigm of making a whole (electronic) studio in software. A lot of Reason fans liked having this powerful and unique tool.

Years went by and other DAWs improved their features until they were overtaking Reason, and VST instruments were starting to get better than Reason's instruments. A lot of people gave up on Reason around then. BUT! Reason adopted VST compatibility in 9.5, and it seemed like they were going to get back into the fight! So the hardcore fans continued, hoping for a performance upgrade and more DAW features.

Then 10 came along and was very underwhelming. BUT! 10.5 had the performance and workflow fixes. Reason fans saw this as a sign that the advanced features they wanted would arrive soon.. maybe in Reason 11!?

So - Reason 11! No combinator 2, no NN-next, no hi res UI, no updates to the mastering suite, no track folders/VST MIDI/etc.. Instead it is promoted as a plugin for other DAWs. This was the trigger for people to finally "give up waiting" for a future Reason that was cutting edge, and look for another DAW.

The question should be, not "why did you give up now?" but "why did you wait so long?". I think it shows the inspirational quality of that Reason (used to) have, that it could keep people using it, even when the competition was overtaking it.

I avoid speculation, so who knows where Reason is going now. I wish them good luck, they seem like decent guys.

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1447
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 28 Aug 2019

MrFigg, the reason I'm now looking at getting a 2nd DAW is that with this update it's time for me.

For £69 I can get Reason 11 Intro and for me the loss of Grain, Malstrom, Klang etc and a smaller Soundbank from the full version will be acceptable. 16 tracks coupled with a New DAW will work fine.

All my REs will be available in my new DAW via the Reason VST. I'm confident I'll find a new way of working with Reason VST inside my new DAW so that I will rarely open up R11 Intro as a DAW.

I'll sell my old R10 Full license and use the funds to put towards my new DAW. Studio One Professional is available as rent to own (£16.99 per mnth for 24 months) on Splice.com so that's looking attractive right now. I'll use the 30 day trial to see.

Before I sell my R10 license I'll spend some time going through files to make sure I have access to anything I might want to revisit or complete. But to be honest a fresh start sounds invigorating right now.

I really want to use MIDI based VSTs. I want more sequencer/arrangement features and mixing and mastering options. I think the combo of S1 and R11 Intro will give me that and save me money in the long run.

It was nice to hear from MattiasHG in this thread but for me the actions of R11 say to me that I will be better off switching to a new DAW for DAW features.

R11 is a blessing in disguise for me I think. I can drop down to Intro and still have my RE rack but with another DAWs sequencer/arrangement/mixing/mastering options. And MIDI VSTs! :)
Image
Now available, see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7512836
New tune (Happy House) 'big fat' viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7513201

madmacman
Posts: 476
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 28 Aug 2019

Ok, here's my take: I jumped ship earlier this year, because I lost confidence into further development.

On the one hand, I somehow understand, that a product like Reason cannot fulfill everyone's needs. But on the other hand, I have always been fascinated by the mere number of features in the other major players (mainly I mean Cubase, Logic, Studio One - with their „classic“ approach). I come from Cubase and Logic and in the seven years of Reason I had lots of fun (yes!), but in fact I barely finished a track. Starting Summer 2012 (R6), I finished and published my first track with Reason in 2018 - and ironically it was recorded with hardware synths only.

Final nail in the coffin was the absence of Propellerheads @Superbooth2019, where all „important“ players in electronic music are present - except for Propellerheads. I then started playing around with Studio One Prime and realized what a €379 product (Reason) is missing compared to a freeware. Everything seemed to be suiting my needs better and in April I took the plunge and bought Studio One 4 Pro as crossgrade. Needless to list all the features I love about S1. In summary: In the meantime (4 months) I already have finished and published four more tracks. Statistics speak for themselves. Heck, I even finished >5 year old unfinished ideas within days after migrating stems to S1.

So I had to realize, that the more technical and classic DAW approach seems to be better for my creativity. I never uninstalled Reason, and I have no plans to do so. Therefore the Reason Rack Plugin is highly welcomed. BUT: I doubt I will ever touch Reason as a DAW again to create a new track. In this sense I’m lost as a customer.

User avatar
Goriila Texas
Posts: 495
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Houston TX

Post 28 Aug 2019

No ReWire

RobC
Posts: 1118
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 28 Aug 2019

No way I would! After 12 years of Reason, why would I?

I 'do' look at Reaktor, but that's because I'm very interested in developing tools. Speaking of which, since the protected Rack Extensions can reach other DAW's this way, there's even more reason for me to get into developing.

Finally, for editing, I prefer Gold Wave, and I don't mind at all to get outside of Reason now and then, cause it kind of refreshes you.

People come and go. Those who leave, are always going to be more loud than those who arrive.

owlymane
Posts: 178
Joined: 27 Feb 2019

Post 28 Aug 2019

MrFigg wrote:
28 Aug 2019
I’m wondering why there’s so much talk just now of switching DAW. No judgement either way. I’m just interested as to why. What I mean is there we are (I’m assuming of course) happily plodding along with Reason 10 then suddenly when Reason 11 comes there’s quite a lot (not sure exactly how many) of people deciding to move. I’d really like to hear what reasons there might be for this. Thanks :).
Tbh with you, I really wasn't planning to change DAW. My plan was to stick to Reason and was hopeful of a major workflow update where I could be more productive.

This is how it all started for me:

- I'm a hardcore Reason user. My first ever DAW was Fruity Loops that I tried for a year and then I shifted to Reason and never looked back ever since (13 years)

- I've been making electronic music, mainly Techno and Deep House.

- Around the time Reason 8 to 9.5 came out, I was already seeing major changes in the music industry, where Ableton has settled to become the industry standard for electronic (dance) music

- in 2017, my whole life changed and my style of music changed with it. I'm more into Future Beats, Trap, Nu Wave, etc... which required ALOT of variations, effects and sequencer utilities which are extremely easy to do on other DAWs, but on Reason it was doable with workarounds, and didn't sound quite nice compared to the stock effects that the other DAW provided.

- As I started collaborating with other artists on Fruity Loops and Ableton, I realized the particular genre I'm into is far easier to do on those DAWs than on Reason. Whether it's the creative adding of variations, the accurate modulation effects, the fast and precise sidechain, and last but def not least, the advanced sequencers that provided you all the tools to not even look at the other sections of the DAW.

- So from that point, I started feeling disappointed about Reason's workflow as far as the genre I want to produce is concerned. Weak/Basic sequencer, cheap/mediocre RE effects, no easy way to directly play keys on your keyboard fluidly, the not-so-easy to find Legato mode. These are really some of the things on the top of my mind atm. There's much more.

- Here I am in 2018, nothing less but shocked of the "Biggest...Reason...Update....EVER" where they just provide some instruments, a couple extremely basic "advanced functionality". This is where I start freaking out...

- I tell myself "you know what, It's OK, I fully support props, I'm sure the years that come will be major for them" (Never Upgraded though, but kept buying REs)

- I join this forum and start voicing my concerns, about why the F&#% is Reason slowly becoming the DAW that is still using Diesel compared to the others, who even some of them went electric.

- After the long......silent.......blue balls.....wait for R11 and the last ridiculous 10.4 update, they finally show up a couple of days back, to announce the LONG-AWAITED R11, IN A 2 MINUTES VIDEO....this is where I said OOOOH BOY, Disappointment here I come.

- Started watching....saw Ableton in the 2-min video ad, saw the slogan "Add The Reason Rack to Any Daw"....not gonna lie man, I got emotionally angry.

- So now, not only do I want to change DAWs (Decided to move back to the old me, the fruity looper) but I don't even see the necessity of the Rack in the other DAW, I'd much prefer investing in companies such as UAD and NI Komplete 12, Izotope than having the same old Rack, that I know by heart by now. So for me, since I'm changing DAW, I might as well change all my habits. Fresh start! Nothing better like it.

That's about it. As days go by I'm starting to feel indifferent to Props and Reason, I gave a company so much support and money, but in return they did not make me happy.

User avatar
zebbleganubi
Posts: 8
Joined: 15 Oct 2017

Post 28 Aug 2019

ive been thinking about switching to linux for the last few years now. every time i try it out im getting more used to it and finding replacements for the windows programs i use. unfortunately reason doesnt have a linux version which is why im probably going to go with bitwig or reaper at some point. or maybe both. (i still might have to dual boot if i want to use another daw with reason as a plugin though. unless i run both in wine...)

anyway thats one reason, but there are lots of other things ive really wanted for ages like track/mixer folders, mpe support, video preview, and something that would be better for live performance. (i dont play live but i just mean being able to mash up some arrangement on the fly while adjusting parameters, instead of having to listen to the same loop over and over like in reason).

i think i would have been waiting a very long time for all of these features to be added in reason so its great that i can use another daw and still keep all the rack stuff ive paid for. the rack is mainly what i chose reason for in the first place.

ive been using reason since version 5 though so im not going to quit it completely. im just taking a break for a while. its not you its me!

electrofux
Posts: 634
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 28 Aug 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
28 Aug 2019
electrofux wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Matthias cant you give us a bit more specifics about how the plugin works? Like will there be Midi Out/Notes to Track, is Remote Present, how is automation handled with the myriad of parameters a Rack can have etc.
No MIDI Out in the first version, but it's definitely being considered. Remote is not present, for VSTs DAWs generally handle hardware and MIDI control. You can automate parameters via the host, it works differently in every host and we're not 100% done with implementation but in Live, for example, you can turn rotaries to "learn" them in Live's interface etc.
Args, i was fearing that. Getting the rack controlled will be a super work heavy task. I was hoping VST 3 offers something to facilitate it -or Remote is still present as an alternative. I am already reading into the Live remote scripting and whereever i see there are alot of restrictions, seems to me alot more than in Remote. Next to no official documentation also. To me it seems Ableton is out of the race, maybe Bitwig, they seem to have a good API or i stay purist and nag around for the rest of my live for a clip launcher in Reason. ;-)

Do the devices in the VST Rack report all their Remote items as controllable items to the host? Or is there a restriction ? Like the first 128 or so (hope not)?
Last edited by electrofux on 28 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Oquasec
Posts: 2392
Joined: 05 Mar 2017

Post 28 Aug 2019

Because Reason has always been a VST : /
It's not a traditional daw
Producer/Sound Designer.
Currently checking out peff & hydlide's archives.
FL & Reason 11.

RobBarnett
Posts: 26
Joined: 15 Jul 2015

Post 28 Aug 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
28 Aug 2019
I don't think this is so hard to understand. It is not the case that people who were perfectly happy suddenly decided to abandon Reason.

Think back to the early days of Reason - at that time a "DAW" was a "MIDI sequencer" or an audio recorder. Reason came along with this really new and cool paradigm of making a whole (electronic) studio in software. A lot of Reason fans liked having this powerful and unique tool.

Years went by and other DAWs improved their features until they were overtaking Reason, and VST instruments were starting to get better than Reason's instruments. A lot of people gave up on Reason around then. BUT! Reason adopted VST compatibility in 9.5, and it seemed like they were going to get back into the fight! So the hardcore fans continued, hoping for a performance upgrade and more DAW features.

Then 10 came along and was very underwhelming. BUT! 10.5 had the performance and workflow fixes. Reason fans saw this as a sign that the advanced features they wanted would arrive soon.. maybe in Reason 11!?

So - Reason 11! No combinator 2, no NN-next, no hi res UI, no updates to the mastering suite, no track folders/VST MIDI/etc.. Instead it is promoted as a plugin for other DAWs. This was the trigger for people to finally "give up waiting" for a future Reason that was cutting edge, and look for another DAW.

The question should be, not "why did you give up now?" but "why did you wait so long?". I think it shows the inspirational quality of that Reason (used to) have, that it could keep people using it, even when the competition was overtaking it.

I avoid speculation, so who knows where Reason is going now. I wish them good luck, they seem like decent guys.
+1

RobBarnett
Posts: 26
Joined: 15 Jul 2015

Post 28 Aug 2019

Zac wrote:
28 Aug 2019
MrFigg, the reason I'm now looking at getting a 2nd DAW is that with this update it's time for me.

For £69 I can get Reason 11 Intro and for me the loss of Grain, Malstrom, Klang etc and a smaller Soundbank from the full version will be acceptable. 16 tracks coupled with a New DAW will work fine.

All my REs will be available in my new DAW via the Reason VST. I'm confident I'll find a new way of working with Reason VST inside my new DAW so that I will rarely open up R11 Intro as a DAW.

I'll sell my old R10 Full license and use the funds to put towards my new DAW. Studio One Professional is available as rent to own (£16.99 per mnth for 24 months) on Splice.com so that's looking attractive right now. I'll use the 30 day trial to see.

Before I sell my R10 license I'll spend some time going through files to make sure I have access to anything I might want to revisit or complete. But to be honest a fresh start sounds invigorating right now.

I really want to use MIDI based VSTs. I want more sequencer/arrangement features and mixing and mastering options. I think the combo of S1 and R11 Intro will give me that and save me money in the long run.

It was nice to hear from MattiasHG in this thread but for me the actions of R11 say to me that I will be better off switching to a new DAW for DAW features.

R11 is a blessing in disguise for me I think. I can drop down to Intro and still have my RE rack but with another DAWs sequencer/arrangement/mixing/mastering options. And MIDI VSTs! :)
This is exactly where my head is at. Been watching YouTube videos of Studio One for most of the day

reggie1979
Posts: 817
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 28 Aug 2019

I'm not. I mean I think there are a lot of people that wanted to use other hosts with reason RE's/synths but hated rewire.

Reason is my Riker.

User avatar
Timmy Crowne
Posts: 185
Joined: 06 Apr 2017
Location: California, United States

Post 28 Aug 2019

Reason gets too messy with large projects. I don’t need to see racks and screws and cables and *every, single* mixer channel and automation lane. I’d be happy if this stuff could be hidden behind the scenes. Bitwig handles this problem with a really clean modern, minimal interface which I find really attractive. Kompulsion is really the only thing keeping me in Reason now.

ShawnG
Posts: 107
Joined: 31 Aug 2015

Post 28 Aug 2019

I have always had another DAW, I still use Reason, and still will, I'm just happy I can use all my stuff in all my DAWs now.

User avatar
Raveshaper
Posts: 1057
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 28 Aug 2019

owlymane wrote:
28 Aug 2019
MrFigg wrote:
28 Aug 2019
I’m wondering why there’s so much talk just now of switching DAW. No judgement either way. I’m just interested as to why. What I mean is there we are (I’m assuming of course) happily plodding along with Reason 10 then suddenly when Reason 11 comes there’s quite a lot (not sure exactly how many) of people deciding to move. I’d really like to hear what reasons there might be for this. Thanks :).
- Around the time Reason 8 to 9.5 came out, I was already seeing major changes in the music industry, where Ableton has settled to become the industry standard for electronic (dance) music

- in 2017, my whole life changed and my style of music changed with it. I'm more into Future Beats, Trap, Nu Wave, etc... which required ALOT of variations, effects and sequencer utilities which are extremely easy to do on other DAWs, but on Reason it was doable with workarounds, and didn't sound quite nice compared to the stock effects that the other DAW provided.

- As I started collaborating with other artists on Fruity Loops and Ableton, I realized the particular genre I'm into is far easier to do on those DAWs than on Reason. Whether it's the creative adding of variations, the accurate modulation effects, the fast and precise sidechain, and last but def not least, the advanced sequencers that provided you all the tools to not even look at the other sections of the DAW.

- So from that point, I started feeling disappointed about Reason's workflow as far as the genre I want to produce is concerned. Weak/Basic sequencer, cheap/mediocre RE effects, no easy way to directly play keys on your keyboard fluidly, the not-so-easy to find Legato mode. These are really some of the things on the top of my mind atm. There's much more.

- Here I am in 2018, nothing less but shocked of the "Biggest...Reason...Update....EVER" where they just provide some instruments, a couple extremely basic "advanced functionality". This is where I start freaking out...

- I tell myself "you know what, It's OK, I fully support props, I'm sure the years that come will be major for them" (Never Upgraded though, but kept buying REs)

- I join this forum and start voicing my concerns, about why the F&#% is Reason slowly becoming the DAW that is still using Diesel compared to the others, who even some of them went electric.

- After the long......silent.......blue balls.....wait for R11 and the last ridiculous 10.4 update, they finally show up a couple of days back, to announce the LONG-AWAITED R11, IN A 2 MINUTES VIDEO....this is where I said OOOOH BOY, Disappointment here I come.

- Started watching....saw Ableton in the 2-min video ad, saw the slogan "Add The Reason Rack to Any Daw"....not gonna lie man, I got emotionally angry.

- So now, not only do I want to change DAWs (Decided to move back to the old me, the fruity looper) but I don't even see the necessity of the Rack in the other DAW, I'd much prefer investing in companies such as UAD and NI Komplete 12, Izotope than having the same old Rack, that I know by heart by now. So for me, since I'm changing DAW, I might as well change all my habits. Fresh start! Nothing better like it.

That's about it. As days go by I'm starting to feel indifferent to Props and Reason, I gave a company so much support and money, but in return they did not make me happy.
Here's a hypothetical scenario to describe the anger on the forum about all this:

Imagine that you like the look of a deck of regular playing cards. This deck is cheaper than the others on the shelf so you justify the purchase. You buy the playing cards, and receive one suit in an ultra slim box. You think "this isn't a full deck, but maybe there was a mix up. I can wait for them to fix this". After waiting a long time, you're informed to look at your cards again, where you discover a second suit symbol has been stamped in the corners of all the cards. You are then asked to pay for having that stamp added. "Ok, maybe they're funding being able to release a full deck. I guess I'll pay". This repeats until all four suits are stamped in the corners of the cards.

So you look down at your single suit of cards and think "I just paid for the same thing over and over, it isn't complete for what it is, and all the changes they made along the way are very minor and make no sense." You start getting mad and want to do something about it, until they announce a big change.

Now, they ask you to look down at the box containing your single suit of cards. There, they say, you will find a larger box with a smiley face drawn on it as a good will gesture. The extra space in the now "full deck sized" box? Well, that's so you can supplement the missing cards with a separate deck. Since you already have such an awesome, unique, and different deck, the combination represents nothing short of a revolution!

EDIT: Oh, and the price of being able to supplement with another deck is higher than ever. Meaning the volume of air in the new bigger box is more valuable than the substance of getting what you thought you ordered in the first place.

So, after all that, after having paid over and over well beyond the price of the more expensive decks on the shelf for what ended up being the same thing, again, you throw out the weird multi-stamped single suit of cards and get a nice, full deck.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

User avatar
Biolumin3sc3nt
Posts: 474
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 28 Aug 2019

Zac wrote:
28 Aug 2019
MrFigg, the reason I'm now looking at getting a 2nd DAW is that with this update it's time for me.

For £69 I can get Reason 11 Intro and for me the loss of Grain, Malstrom, Klang etc and a smaller Soundbank from the full version will be acceptable. 16 tracks coupled with a New DAW will work fine.

All my REs will be available in my new DAW via the Reason VST. I'm confident I'll find a new way of working with Reason VST inside my new DAW so that I will rarely open up R11 Intro as a DAW.

I'll sell my old R10 Full license and use the funds to put towards my new DAW. Studio One Professional is available as rent to own (£16.99 per mnth for 24 months) on Splice.com so that's looking attractive right now. I'll use the 30 day trial to see.

Before I sell my R10 license I'll spend some time going through files to make sure I have access to anything I might want to revisit or complete. But to be honest a fresh start sounds invigorating right now.

I really want to use MIDI based VSTs. I want more sequencer/arrangement features and mixing and mastering options. I think the combo of S1 and R11 Intro will give me that and save me money in the long run.

It was nice to hear from MattiasHG in this thread but for me the actions of R11 say to me that I will be better off switching to a new DAW for DAW features.

R11 is a blessing in disguise for me I think. I can drop down to Intro and still have my RE rack but with another DAWs sequencer/arrangement/mixing/mastering options. And MIDI VSTs! :)
If I'm not mistaken, once You sell Your Full Reason 10 license, You don't have those RE's anymore ( non transferable ). They're attached to Your account and then You're basically starting at square one. Check into things before You make an incredibly dumb decision.

What exactly do You mean "use Midi based VST's? At this current state, You're not gonna be controlling Serum via QNG or Sequences as there's no Midi out for RE's. You sure as hell can control Expanse via QNG in the Reason Vst Rack, but there's no VST hosting inside the new rack VST.

Seems like You're gonna make on hell of a shitty decision before You know all the facts.

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 2235
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Post 28 Aug 2019

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
28 Aug 2019
If I'm not mistaken, once You sell Your Full Reason 10 license, You don't have those RE's anymore ( non transferable ). They're attached to Your account and then You're basically starting at square one. Check into things before You make an incredibly dumb decision.
REs bought in the shop are linked to the account, not to Reason license. He can sell v10 and will still own e.g. Vk-2, Complex-1 or Antidote (as an example of non-Reason REs).
Bitwig 3 // Reason 10 // Cubase Pro 10 @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604
other stuff - "Psytrance in Bitwig Studio" tutorial

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 2235
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Post 28 Aug 2019

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
28 Aug 2019
What exactly do You mean "use Midi based VST's? At this current state, You're not gonna be controlling Serum via QNG or Sequences as there's no Midi out for RE's. You sure as hell can control Expanse via QNG in the Reason Vst Rack, but there's no VST hosting inside the new rack VST.
He clearly said "VSTs" so he rather means stuff like Cthulu, Scaler, Riffer, etc. Not Reason's players.
Bitwig 3 // Reason 10 // Cubase Pro 10 @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604
other stuff - "Psytrance in Bitwig Studio" tutorial

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1447
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 28 Aug 2019

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Zac wrote:
28 Aug 2019
MrFigg, the reason I'm now looking at getting a 2nd DAW is that with this update it's time for me.

For £69 I can get Reason 11 Intro and for me the loss of Grain, Malstrom, Klang etc and a smaller Soundbank from the full version will be acceptable. 16 tracks coupled with a New DAW will work fine.

All my REs will be available in my new DAW via the Reason VST. I'm confident I'll find a new way of working with Reason VST inside my new DAW so that I will rarely open up R11 Intro as a DAW.

I'll sell my old R10 Full license and use the funds to put towards my new DAW. Studio One Professional is available as rent to own (£16.99 per mnth for 24 months) on Splice.com so that's looking attractive right now. I'll use the 30 day trial to see.

Before I sell my R10 license I'll spend some time going through files to make sure I have access to anything I might want to revisit or complete. But to be honest a fresh start sounds invigorating right now.

I really want to use MIDI based VSTs. I want more sequencer/arrangement features and mixing and mastering options. I think the combo of S1 and R11 Intro will give me that and save me money in the long run.

It was nice to hear from MattiasHG in this thread but for me the actions of R11 say to me that I will be better off switching to a new DAW for DAW features.

R11 is a blessing in disguise for me I think. I can drop down to Intro and still have my RE rack but with another DAWs sequencer/arrangement/mixing/mastering options. And MIDI VSTs! :)
If I'm not mistaken, once You sell Your Full Reason 10 license, You don't have those RE's anymore ( non transferable ). They're attached to Your account and then You're basically starting at square one. Check into things before You make an incredibly dumb decision.

What exactly do You mean "use Midi based VST's? At this current state, You're not gonna be controlling Serum via QNG or Sequences as there's no Midi out for RE's. You sure as hell can control Expanse via QNG in the Reason Vst Rack, but there's no VST hosting inside the new rack VST.

Seems like You're gonna make on hell of a shitty decision before You know all the facts.
You sound angry?

I buy R11 Intro with my account and sell my full R10 license. I can use all of my REs (very many) in R11 Intro and in the Reason VST in my new DAW. And yes, Antic was right, I want to use MIDI VSTs in my new DAW because I can't use them in Reason.

Is this OK with you?
Image
Now available, see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7512836
New tune (Happy House) 'big fat' viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7513201

User avatar
Biolumin3sc3nt
Posts: 474
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 28 Aug 2019

Zac wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
28 Aug 2019


If I'm not mistaken, once You sell Your Full Reason 10 license, You don't have those RE's anymore ( non transferable ). They're attached to Your account and then You're basically starting at square one. Check into things before You make an incredibly dumb decision.

What exactly do You mean "use Midi based VST's? At this current state, You're not gonna be controlling Serum via QNG or Sequences as there's no Midi out for RE's. You sure as hell can control Expanse via QNG in the Reason Vst Rack, but there's no VST hosting inside the new rack VST.

Seems like You're gonna make on hell of a shitty decision before You know all the facts.
You sound angry?

I buy R11 Intro with my account and sell my full R10 license. I can use all of my REs (very many) in R11 Intro and in the Reason VST in my new DAW. And yes, Antic was right, I want to use MIDI VSTs in my new DAW because I can't use them in Reason.

Is this OK with you?
I absolutely misread your post by a mile!

Got back from Intensive Care this afternoon and Yeah I was upset with the World in general.

Please forgive Me!

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Creativemind and 1 guest