WHY are you thinking of changing DAW? (if you are)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
guitfnky

13 Sep 2019

Oquasec wrote:
13 Sep 2019
Tbh I don't mind if the sequencer stays the same but blocks mode is kinda weak.
it should have 999 blocks.
Version 5-11 should be rewritten with 999 blocks...
there’s a limit? I can’t imagine ever needing more than 10, so I would never know it, but what is the current limit?
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Oquasec

13 Sep 2019

32 pattern blocks is the limit for the sequencer part of Reason.
If you want infinity you basically need to disregard blocks
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EdGrip

13 Sep 2019

Been reading the Ableton Live manual like a total nerd - am intrigued by the different follow-on rules and probabilities you can string together for clips in the session view. Seems to lend itself very well to generative music, which I had assumed would be a weakness of Live.

Raveshaper

13 Sep 2019

EdGrip wrote:
13 Sep 2019
Been reading the Ableton Live manual like a total nerd - am intrigued by the different follow-on rules and probabilities you can string together for clips in the session view. Seems to lend itself very well to generative music, which I had assumed would be a weakness of Live.
Careful, challenging assumptions is going to lead to a whole lot of eye opening. You won't see things the same. And that's great!
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

EdGrip

13 Sep 2019

I see the forum has embedded no fewer than two ad links in my post above. Not a fan of that. If we need to have a fundraiser...

Edit. They seem to have gone now.

KEVMOVE02

13 Sep 2019

I think Propellerhead has already responded to this question by suggesting that what they want above all things is for more people enjoy music making in there own way. Wanna stay? Good, we hope you find our recent offerings inspirational. Moving to another platform? Good, we hope you will consider taking the Reason Rack with you. We hope that offering our newly announced Reason Suite at a $249 for existing customer is huge demonstration of good will. That's why I'm not leaving.

MannequinRaces

14 Sep 2019

KEVMOVE02 wrote:
13 Sep 2019
We hope that offering our newly announced Reason Suite at a $249 for existing customer is huge demonstration of good will.
Well it's not if you already own most of them, haha. Even as I type this Processed Pianos is selling for $99 and Polystep is selling for $69 in the shop. Imagine the people that buy those at full price and then looking at upgrading to Suite only to see that they could have got these for a greatly reduced price! Good will my a$$. There's already been tomes written about how the Reason only crowd feels about this upgrade so I won't beat a dead horse. :lol:

Zac

14 Sep 2019

KEVMOVE02 wrote:
13 Sep 2019
I think Propellerhead has already responded to this question by suggesting that what they want above all things is for more people enjoy music making in there own way. Wanna stay? Good, we hope you find our recent offerings inspirational. Moving to another platform? Good, we hope you will consider taking the Reason Rack with you. We hope that offering our newly announced Reason Suite at a $249 for existing customer is huge demonstration of good will. That's why I'm not leaving.
The more I'm playing with other DAWs, the more I'm warming to the idea of the Reason VST.

It really has opened my eyes to the multi-daw set up. I haven't decided on what my new set up is going to be yet but so far in an ideal world (money not an issue!) I could see myself going to a more audio based workflow:

Sound designing and trialling sound compatibility of instruments beside each other in Reason;

Composing and arranging in Live;

Mastering in Studio One.

As of now, I don't know what I'll actually settle on but I'm saving cash to keep my options open.

What I do know is that my outlook has completely changed. I started out wanting the workflow updates of R11 but not the VST. But now I realise how good, and frankly not intimidating to learn, other DAWs are, I now only want the VST.

I'm definitely going to switch to R11 intro and sell my R10 full license. And wierdly to me it's looking like some version of Live I'll be getting first.

moneykube

14 Sep 2019

looking at what I paid for the 11 racks I own included in suite .... and well the 249 for a few more racks I did not want or would have bought during the many sales... is a slap in the face... discount what we paid you for, and I will consider upgrading... ignore loyal users and lose money... period,,, really bad form... great for getting new users only, RIP
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Ermitage

14 Sep 2019

artotaku wrote:
13 Sep 2019
If your assumption is true (and we don´t know for sure without having access to the source code) it´s maybe best to rewrite the sequencer from scratch or at least parts of it depending on the way the sequencer code is currently structured. This can be a quite complex endevour and will take some time and costs and it´s quite unclear if it will happen at all.

Your perspective and perception seems from a software developer´s view (which I can fully relate to since I´m one as well at my day job) and most of the other Reason users without this background won´t care about this in detail. But I have to agree if it hinders further development of the sequencer it´s maybe best to rewrite it. It´s not the first time stuff is thrown away in software projects. I mean the sequencer is now about 20 years old and things have progressed.
They did rewrite much of the audio rendering code for 10.3, so there's that.

KEVMOVE02

14 Sep 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
14 Sep 2019
KEVMOVE02 wrote:
13 Sep 2019
We hope that offering our newly announced Reason Suite at a $249 for existing customer is huge demonstration of good will.
Well it's not if you already own most of them, haha. Even as I type this Processed Pianos is selling for $99 and Polystep is selling for $69 in the shop. Imagine the people that buy those at full price and then looking at upgrading to Suite only to see that they could have got these for a greatly reduced price! Good will my a$$. There's already been tomes written about how the Reason only crowd feels about this upgrade so I won't beat a dead horse. :lol:
For you, Is purchasing music making software a hobby or investment?

KEVMOVE02

14 Sep 2019

moneykube wrote:
14 Sep 2019
looking at what I paid for the 11 racks I own included in suite .... and well the 249 for a few more racks I did not want or would have bought during the many sales... is a slap in the face... discount what we paid you for, and I will consider upgrading... ignore loyal users and lose money... period,,, really bad form... great for getting new users only, RIP
Did you feel that way before they announced the upgrade offer? The validity of your emotions are not based on being defrauded, but being mad that you can't benefit from the offer.

kuhliloach

14 Sep 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
14 Sep 2019
KEVMOVE02 wrote:
13 Sep 2019
Until they can calculate specific upgrade prices based on previously owned products the Propellerhead Shop will remain a perfect demonstration of bad will and incompetence. My question is, since this has always been the status-quo, will it ever change?

Reminiscence

14 Sep 2019

Image-Line does it right?

moneykube

14 Sep 2019

KEVMOVE02 wrote:
14 Sep 2019
moneykube wrote:
14 Sep 2019
Did you feel that way before they announced the upgrade offer? The validity of your emotions are not based on being defrauded, but being mad that you can't benefit from the offer.
Only one of many issues that have also been discussed to death above. I could parrot the same things... but choose not to today thanks... annoyed at the price as well... so stated so. period.... and even before the upgrade offer I was not impressed enough to upgrade to the normal 11 upgrade, neither the suite upgrade... performance and work flow issues seemed to have been ignored somewhat imo... quite simply I will stay with 10. I have more then enough to work with already. Only one if the extra devices interested me, Likely at some point I can buy the device I am interested in. If not... no big deal.... I just don't see a reason to update at this point in time. I am not changing my DAW... If I need to use a different daw I use logic and can actually see videos I am working on at the same time as making music and syncing events... what a concept :puf_wink:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

reggie1979

14 Sep 2019

edit, I didn't understand the question.
Last edited by reggie1979 on 16 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

MannequinRaces

14 Sep 2019

KEVMOVE02 wrote:
14 Sep 2019
MannequinRaces wrote:
14 Sep 2019

A hobby. If it were an investment I wouldn't be wasting a penny on this upgrade and would wait to see what the point updates bring and what R12 entails.

Re8et
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2019

Oquasec wrote:
13 Sep 2019
32 pattern blocks is the limit for the sequencer part of Reason.
If you want infinity you basically need to disregard blocks

I'd be happy enough if blocks could be created as some sort of insta-snapshots of the looped section you are playing, that would mirrors everything: mutes, different patches for one same instrument, main mixer settings, automations, sequencer, etc etc.

Arjanders

15 Sep 2019

After the announcement R11 with the rack VST, I felt the urge to go looking for another DAW. And yes there are some really nice features and workflow things. But I came to the conclusion I can do what I want in Reason and there are still so much things waiting for me in Reason, it would be very distracting to invest time in another DAW.
For me it is the same excitement/desire feeling trailing a new plugin/Re and convince myself "o I really need this". And because it will only add up to the already so much choices, probably will never learn it from inside out.

KEVMOVE02

15 Sep 2019

kuhliloach wrote:
14 Sep 2019
MannequinRaces wrote:
14 Sep 2019

Until they can calculate specific upgrade prices based on previously owned products the Propellerhead Shop will remain a perfect demonstration of bad will and incompetence. My question is, since this has always been the status-quo, will it ever change?
It has changed, several times. Its commonplace for buyers remorse to kick in when the perceived value of loyalty is not met with the appropriate acknowledgement. Case in point: I just found out that Cakewalk went belly up. The new owner is now offering the pseudo platinum version of Sonar for the low low price of signing up for their free service. Me expecting to get a refund on software that I used for 5 years is insane. I don’t think you would have a complaint if Propellerhead allowed you to resale your landlocked plugins. Status quo is consumers wanting the scales to tip in their favor 100% of the time: lowest price when I buy, highest price when I sell, plenty of free stuff in between. That’s why SaaS is expanding to every corner of the universe.

KEVMOVE02

15 Sep 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
14 Sep 2019
KEVMOVE02 wrote:
14 Sep 2019

A hobby. If it were an investment I wouldn't be wasting a penny on this upgrade and would wait to see what the point updates bring and what R12 entails.
If it were an investment, you would consider software upgrades as an expense and pass the costs on to your customers, or find a way to offset the cost by reducing spending elsewhere. If you choose to change platforms, don’t forget to calculate the training and development costs of learning and mastering the platform, as well all the free stuff you have to give away to disgruntled customers. Since it’s a hobby, none of this applies, and it shouldn’t bother you at all because theirs no risk or need to upgrade. Maybe your other hobby is throwing shade?

KEVMOVE02

15 Sep 2019

kuhliloach wrote:
14 Sep 2019
MannequinRaces wrote:
14 Sep 2019

Something tells me Propellerhead’s balance sheet tells a very different story.

WillyOD

16 Sep 2019

In short: R11 update on the announced price point was a slight disappointment. I might have overreacted since I feel passionately about Reason. I guess I was also hoping Props would wake up and smell the coffee and rethink some of their practices.

Anyways, since I got into beta and just started up Reason I was back in the flow and zone in seconds (without using any of the new R11 features I might add).

So NO I'm not switching. I did checkout Bitwig and Studio One, but they do feel a bit like "old" DAWs and Reason with all of its entity is still a creative unicorn ;) Of course some of it is because of my familiarity with Reason.

Still haven't decided on updating to R11, but as usual if I work on more projects with the beta I just might have to update to keep working on these songs.
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

EnGee

17 Sep 2019

I sold my full license of Reason 10 some time ago (and recently bought it again but the intro license). The reason for selling is that I had already another two or three DAWs and it was the time (I thought) to choose only one, so I sold Live 9 Standard and Studio One 4 (beside Reason 10) and I upgraded Bitwig from 2.4 to 2.5 (then to 3.0 as I still have my plan till June or July 2020).

I don't regret my decision as Bitwig is my main DAW in Linux and in Windows. Bitwig has everything I need but it is not perfect (nothing is!). Now, I already have good Racks (synths) that I miss (Antidote, PX7 and Parsec). I also miss other great tools in Reason but I don't know if I want the full license, so I went ahead and bought an intro license from 2nd hand market (actually I have traded it with a synth I no longer need).

Anyway, if you ask me before one month, I would criticise Reason 10 to no end! But now, I feel different! The main reason is when I started to setup my Linux to be a music workstation (kind of!). This experience made me grow up (not that I'm young anyway! hihihi). I mean I could make some noise (or music!) with just Reaper and same samples. I added some Linux native u-he synths and I didn't feel I'm limited! So, I realized that 'limitation' is mostly psychological effect that marketing and other people infected us with (intentionally or not!).

However, Bitwig is great and felt a perfect match to Ubuntu (or any Linux) as it installs in seconds and run perfectly fine under Alsa drivers. The thing I missed is the Maschine mikro as it doesn't work with Linux at all. This made me didn't get rid of Windows.

Now, I'm in Windows and exploring again my uncompleted projects in Reason and think to myself : "How spoiled I've become!". I don't feel limited not even with 16 tracks limitation! I value Reason much more now. I don't even use VST inside, just its devices and some RE. I really find it inspiring workstation.

If you feel limited and not productive in Reason, take a break, go install Linux and try to make some music with it. It is like taking your spoiled kid to help you with garden work and cleaning! The kid would learn to stop be spoiled and value his comfort when back inside ;)

Windows 10 with Reason Studio 12, Live Suite 11, Bitwig Studio 4, Studio One Pro v5 and Cubase 12 Pro

antic604

17 Sep 2019

zebbleganubi wrote:
06 Sep 2019
i just bought a sensel morph mpe controller a few days ago and got a nice surprise email after with a licence for bitwig 8 track. i wasnt even aware it came free with it. ive had been trying out bitwig's demo for the last week and theres a lot of really great things going on but not being able to save files is just completely daft, it should be the other way round... allow projects to be saved but not loaded again until you pay up. well anyway now i dont have to worry about that now. i can noodle around with bitwig for the next while without having to make a huge investment
Bitwig 8-track is severly limited compared to full version. Also in the demo you can join whole track into a clip and drag that to the browser - it will be saved with all the devices, their settings, etc. I think you can even put all tracks in a group and then drag the meta-clip from the group, to have it all saved. Obviously not as convenient as normal project saving, but useful if you came up with something brilliant and will want to use it eventully with your full Bitwig license ;)

• Information