Predicting 4 future moves of Reason Studios

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Alkua

27 Aug 2019

Now with the new feature of open reason rack as VST3 (and AU later) in another DAW in the new release of Reason 11 made me think some moves that Reason Studios are thinking to do.

1. Release more instruments and Synth in RE and VST. I think Europa gave them a sign to make more devices in VST.

2. They will develop a new NN-XT to compete with Kontakt. Now that reason can be opened anywhere has more sense to develop a new NN-XT because if they do it just for Reason will be very limited and developers won't jump in. This new NN-XT will be VST3 and AU as well.

3. New Combinator as RE, VST and AU. This device will put Reason Studios in the same raking that Reason had when came out with REX.

4. A dedicated MIDI controller by Reason Studios.

jam-s

27 Aug 2019

I think the more likely next step will be:

1. continue on porting native devices to the RE SDK
2. release .point update with sequencer track folders (easy to implement and calms the mob)
3. when native devices are ported release (point) update with hi-dpi support
4. release radical kazoo and a-list cowbell

DJMaytag

27 Aug 2019

- Nail VST3 support in other DAWs, then bring VST3 support to Reason. The number of cool VST's with MIDI out seems to be worth this feature, and certainly the benefit of throttling CPU usage when silent is a HUGE performance booster to VST usage in ANY DAW.
- Release Reason Rack Essentials for free, which contains only the most basic of devices (ie only devices up through Reason 5).
- Improve the sequencer and/or audio editing features. An improvement would be good, but it doesn't need to rival Nuendo or anything crazy like that.
- I only have 3. My bad.

boingy

28 Aug 2019

1. Continue to prepare the company for sale, aiming to complete that sale by mid-2021. That's how venture capitalists work. Cut costs, boost short-term profits, sell the company for a big fat profit, move on.

2. Reposition Reason as a "super-VST" that happens to come with a standalone mode, like Kontakt, Sampletank, Guitar Rig, and many of the "big" modern synth VSTs.

3. Spend a lot of money trying to establish a Reason derivative in the mobile market but fail to recoup that investment.

4. Wonder what happened to the good old days.

Last Alternative

28 Aug 2019

My satirical guess:

1. Continue giving less each upgrade.
2. End all contact with customers.
3. Ditch Reason, become VST company.
4. Go out of business.

I give it 5 years max.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Faastwalker

28 Aug 2019

1. Sell off Reason Studios to Sony, who release Sony Acid Reason Studio Pro X a couple of years later.

2. Pro X.2 later released with 3 'workflow enhancements' & tempting offers for new users. Upgrade cost is US$199.

3. Reason Studios ...... sorry Sony Acid Reason Studio Pro X.3, drops all support for Rack Extensions. Reason now only supports VST, meaning there's not much point running it as a VST & people just go back to using VSTs.

4. Sony release Acid Reason Studio Pro X.4, which supports VST3 & NOTHING else! But nobody cares anymore because the software now occupies a meaningless void in the DAW / Music Tech universe. Sony Acid Reason Studio Pro X disappears up its own asshole! It no longer exists accept as a metaphor for describing the inside of a black hole to Astro physics students.

VariableX

28 Aug 2019

1. Reason 11.5 comes out as a point update, with massive sequencer improvements, awesome new Instruments and Video editing capabilities.
2. The Reason licence server keeps crashing because of the 100,000s of new users using the awesome software.
3. Reason Studios buys Bitwig and Ableton and converts them the Rack Extensions for use in Reason.
4. Reason studios is floated on the Stock Exchange and all current users are given 10 free shares each.

Last Alternative

28 Aug 2019

@Faastwalker :lol: LOL HAHAHAHAHAHA man that's some quality comedy right there over here/ you, Sir got me beat by a LONGSHOT :lol: :thumbs_up:
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Last Alternative

28 Aug 2019

OK LOL 2 more possibilities:

1. Props get pissed and ban complainers.
2. The rest, including new customers see it and sell their license in disgust.
3. Props get more pissed and destroy the servers.
4. But not before bringing everyone back & releasing 1 last free update that fries our computers and burns our houses down, killing us.

Or....

1. PH releases R11 with EVERYTHING we've always wanted + more, becoming the #1 DAW in the world.
2. Out of awe from being literally hypnotized by the new graphics, we sell our souls to PH.
3. Non-Reason musicians and non-musicians alike see our euphoric elation and buy R11.
4. PH buys the world and nukes us all while flying to Mars with Elon Musk.

Breach The Sky

28 Aug 2019

1. I think they are done with devices for now. I mean hey, plugin rack users must have at least -some- time to play around with whats already there right?

2. If they truly are as dedicated to Reason as their new company name suggests, then hopefully we will se a lot off improvement to the core standalone version. Personally, I would love to se some creative/innovative ways to work with composition. Chords, melody, arrangement etc. There are more stuff that needs attention tough.

3. I don't know what their plans with the RE format is, but it seems to have a lot of potential. I watched that talk by Magnus, interesting stuff indeed. It will surely have a big part in the future.

4. In the long term I think they will try to unify mobile, core and plugin versions. The same, but modular code across all devices (including RE tech). Maybe a lot of that is already done, who knows..

Reason Studios are in corporate claws now. If they don't live up to expectations, they will fold. That would be.. unfortunate.

SalvadorDeluxe

28 Aug 2019

We've already seen Europa running in a web browser. Maybe they'll port the entire rack to a web-enabled device where there can be true real-time music making collaboration.
Nintendo 64 // Minesweeper // Rotary Telephones

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

28 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
28 Aug 2019

They did, that's why we're all on ReasonTalk!! :lol:

Last Alternative

28 Aug 2019

JiggeryPokery wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Last Alternative wrote:
28 Aug 2019

They did, that's why we're all on ReasonTalk!! :lol:
Haha 😂 I guess you’re right. And now they rarely talk to us, if ever!

flightONE

28 Aug 2019

Alkua wrote:
27 Aug 2019

2. They will develop a new NN-XT to compete with Kontakt. Now that reason can be opened anywhere has more sense to develop a new NN-XT because if they do it just for Reason will be very limited and developers won't jump in. This new NN-XT will be VST3 and AU as well.
this already exists... kind of... except that it's not available to the common person .... it's the IDT2 part of the rack extension SDK... this is probably how they have been building the processed pianos RE and the A-list stuff, which are similar to kontakt based products.

tony10000

29 Aug 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
28 Aug 2019
1. Sell off Reason Studios to Sony, who release Sony Acid Reason Studio Pro X a couple of years later.

2. Pro X.2 later released with 3 'workflow enhancements' & tempting offers for new users. Upgrade cost is US$199.

3. Reason Studios ...... sorry Sony Acid Reason Studio Pro X.3, drops all support for Rack Extensions. Reason now only supports VST, meaning there's not much point running it as a VST & people just go back to using VSTs.

4. Sony release Acid Reason Studio Pro X.4, which supports VST3 & NOTHING else! But nobody cares anymore because the software now occupies a meaningless void in the DAW / Music Tech universe. Sony Acid Reason Studio Pro X disappears up its own asshole! It no longer exists accept as a metaphor for describing the inside of a black hole to Astro physics students.
Sony sold their audio products to Magix including Acid a while ago.

tony10000

29 Aug 2019

I think they will try to push REs as a competitive plug in format to VST. They could handle sales, marketing, copy protection, etc. and take their cut. It will be easier to get other DAW developers to buy in if they separate it from the Reason DAW. Reason Rack as a VST is the first step.

WillyOD

29 Aug 2019

They will probably just continue wrapping their refills into Rack Extensions. I'm expecting minimal updates with minimal features. More fat around the meat but the meat is dry and old and starting to smell funky, it wasn't probably dried out properly.

I hope Reason 12 will be good, but my hopes are not very high... I will now stop talking about what I want from Props and Reason until Reason 12 comes out, and I'm also taking a break from these forums. See you in 2021 ;D
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

djadalaide

29 Aug 2019

1. Release Reason 12 with all the live audio-looping features we wanted in R11.
2. Sell Komplete-like bundles to compete with Native Instruments
3. Create a revolutionary new sampler called 'Radical Sampler'
4. Free rompler version called 'Radical Player'

ShelLuser

29 Aug 2019

djadalaide wrote:
29 Aug 2019
Nice one! I honestly believe that they could pull that off, IMO the Props definitely have enough potential of making high quality instruments and effects. And the rack vst could definitely make this happen....
--- :reason:

RequiemMachine

29 Aug 2019

Alkua wrote:
27 Aug 2019
1. Release more instruments and Synth in RE and VST. I think Europa gave them a sign to make more devices in VST.
RE format..absolutely. VST..not likely. They said in their FAQ that the Europa VST will no longer be sold because it’ll be available via the Reason Rack VST. If you already own it, it will still work though. I think that’s a pretty good sign that they’ll stick with the RE format going forth.
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

Alkua

29 Aug 2019

flightONE wrote:
28 Aug 2019
this already exists... kind of... except that it's not available to the common person .... it's the IDT2 part of the rack extension SDK... this is probably how they have been building the processed pianos RE and the A-list stuff, which are similar to kontakt based products.
Ok, I didn't know about IDT2, you might be right but making an instrument with IDT2 you have to make a rack extension, and have a full version of Reason $399 to open in Another DAW. With a "new NN-XT" in a VST version you don't need to pay $399 to open in another DAW.

djadalaide wrote:
29 Aug 2019
1. Release Reason 12 with all the live audio-looping features we wanted in R11.
3. Create a revolutionary new sampler called 'Radical Sampler'
4. Free rompler version called 'Radical Player'
That's a good take.

RequiemMachine wrote:
29 Aug 2019
RE format..absolutely. VST..not likely. They said in their FAQ that the Europa VST will no longer be sold because it’ll be available via the Reason Rack VST. If you already own it, it will still work though. I think that’s a pretty good sign that they’ll stick with the RE format going forth.
Make sense, but I still believe they will release more VST3 plugins, at least a combinator type.

exxx

29 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
28 Aug 2019
My satirical guess:

1. Continue giving less each upgrade.
2. End all contact with customers.
3. Ditch Reason, become VST company.
4. Go out of business.

I give it 5 years max.
This is it!

Faastwalker

29 Aug 2019

tony10000 wrote:
29 Aug 2019
Faastwalker wrote:
28 Aug 2019

Sony sold their audio products to Magix including Acid a while ago.
Exactly! This shit happens all the time :( Anyway, all very tongue-in-cheek and very unlikely :roll:

exxx

29 Aug 2019

There are already so many good vsts on the market.

Using racks can be a creative activity, but less likely to sound better than vsts in the market.

The reason for replacing existing refills with rack is because of user convenience.

Because users are easy to use

We will buy a better vst instrument at a discounted price than rack vst.

RequiemMachine

29 Aug 2019

Alkua wrote:
29 Aug 2019
Make sense, but I still believe they will release more VST3 plugins, at least a combinator type.
They already made a combi VST, essentially. The Reason Rack VST function in R11.
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

• Information