Reason 11 is dropping ReWire completely.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Karim
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
27 Aug 2019
seqoi wrote:
27 Aug 2019
1. Can i have Reason 10.4 and Reason 11 installed both at the same time? If answer is YES then all fine.
Yes, that's also mentioned on their FAQ. So it shouldn't be much of an issue.
I have 3 different Reason installed on my system without problem.

BTW everyone is so enthusiastic and focused on the rack and happy that rewire is dead.
but let's not forget that if you have projects on the sequencer you need to export all the tracks in midi, reimport them on the daw of choice and point every single track (and any bus / aux etc.) to the right synth / effect / combinator etc.
I don't know how simple and fast it is to do all this when someone like me has thousands of projects in Reason.

Is not practical at all. I have tons of project in productions, some ready to publish with my label and some
still on progress. :(
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

tiker01

25 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
24 Sep 2019
Reason 11 and subsequent versions will not support the Rewire protocol.

Good idea? Bad idea?

I've never been a huge fan but I've used it and I think that taking away a connectivity option is a bad idea, especially as it has been adopted by so many other DAWs.

Regardless of what you think we'll have the daft situation that one of the two original developers of the protocol no longer supports it. That's just odd, that is. We want more choice not less. :cry:
I am on the same page. AFAIK it had to go in order to make the VST working.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

dezma

25 Sep 2019

Karim wrote:
25 Sep 2019
ShelLuser wrote:
27 Aug 2019

BTW everyone is so enthusiastic and focused on the rack and happy that rewire is dead.
but let's not forget that if you have projects on the sequencer you need to export all the tracks in midi, reimport them on the daw of choice and point every single track (and any bus / aux etc.) to the right synth / effect / combinator etc.
I don't know how simple and fast it is to do all this when someone like me has thousands of projects in Reason.

Is not practical at all. I have tons of project in productions, some ready to publish with my label and some
Yes, not forgetting the time to combine and physically store each patch for easier import. It'll be a daunting task even for me for around 50 rewire projects.

Wouldn't it be awesome if all tracks on the sequencer could be combined and patches exported in a batch export? All stored in a folder along with the midi file.

I think in your case it would make sense to just bounce the tracks and maybe save some combinators for the "not recreatable" sounds if you ever want to tweak in reason 19.3 (with the latest addition: VST3 support)

Not having to open each project in 2 DAW's is a big plus though.

botnotbot

25 Sep 2019

Karim wrote:
25 Sep 2019
ShelLuser wrote:
27 Aug 2019

But the same could be said about an Atari SX setup, right? You just keep an old box around.

Seems to me that it makes sense that as soon as computers hit the studio, you end up with "eras" of music that wrap around specific windows of technology. In your case, it sounds like you will want to invest in keeping a good computer or two from this era around and running old OS versions (and disconnected from the Internet!!). That way you can access this library of work whenever needed, no matter how far times have moved on.

EDIT: It is sad that you can't use any of the new features in Reason 11 to finalize your current projects though!

C//AZM

25 Sep 2019

QVprod wrote:
28 Aug 2019

The only thing you’re actually losing without Rewire as you mentioned is Regroove, which I agree is a considerable loss. Otherwise, nothing else you mentioned would be affected at all. Plenty of VSTs have multi-outs and sync to tempo. It’s a Reason rack plugin, so you would use multiple instances like you would with any other plugin instrument.

I don’t think people are saying Rewire is bad, simply just not as convenient as VST instruments. Reason Rack solves those inconsistency.
Explain this please; I have songs written fully in Reason and my occasional writing partner in another state has almost the exact same reason setup. He usually rewires Reason to PT and cuts all the vocals and live instruments in PT. Will he still be able to open Reason as a VST and play the entire song with full access to Reason's Outputs?

Lempface

25 Sep 2019

C//AZM wrote:
25 Sep 2019
QVprod wrote:
28 Aug 2019

The only thing you’re actually losing without Rewire as you mentioned is Regroove, which I agree is a considerable loss. Otherwise, nothing else you mentioned would be affected at all. Plenty of VSTs have multi-outs and sync to tempo. It’s a Reason rack plugin, so you would use multiple instances like you would with any other plugin instrument.

I don’t think people are saying Rewire is bad, simply just not as convenient as VST instruments. Reason Rack solves those inconsistency.
Explain this please; I have songs written fully in Reason and my occasional writing partner in another state has almost the exact same reason setup. He usually rewires Reason to PT and cuts all the vocals and live instruments in PT. Will he still be able to open Reason as a VST and play the entire song with full access to Reason's Outputs?
No, not in the sense they would have w/ rewire. They will now need to import stems from Reason standalone, which are pretty convenient to export. If they like to tweak the Reason devices while mixing then they'll need to save patches from the source file along w/ the midi and then load up instrument tracks in PT and import the midi and then recall the patch.

EDIT: File bounce mixer channels to render your stems.
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

C//AZM

25 Sep 2019

Lempface wrote:
25 Sep 2019
C//AZM wrote:
25 Sep 2019

No, not in the sense they would have w/ rewire. They will now need to import stems from Reason standalone, which are pretty convenient to export. If they like to tweak the Reason devices while mixing then they'll need to save patches from the source file along w/ the midi and then load up instrument tracks in PT and import the midi and then recall the patch.

Then that's a major flaw. My usual practice is to bounce channels and mix in PT, but that's AFTER the song is finished. But usually while i'm working on a song, I need to be able to also edit the track, in reason. Oh well. I wonder why they killed it off rather than simply leaving it in there?

Lempface

25 Sep 2019

C//AZM wrote:
25 Sep 2019
Lempface wrote:
25 Sep 2019

Then that's a major flaw. My usual practice is to bounce channels and mix in PT, but that's AFTER the song is finished. But usually while i'm working on a song, I need to be able to also edit the track, in reason. Oh well. I wonder why they killed it off rather than simply leaving it in there?
Agreed, would be great to have a way to load up an entire Reason project in the VST similar to how FL Studio VST works. That way you truly would have no need for rewire.
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

boingy

25 Sep 2019

Lempface wrote:
25 Sep 2019

Agreed, would be great to have a way to load up an entire Reason project in the VST similar to how FL Studio VST works.
I originally thought that it makes no sense to have the whole of a DAW inside a VST but I now know that both FL Studio and Maschine do it and it certainly solves many of the problems we've seen with just offering the Rack as a VST.

However, one thing we know with some certainty is that, going forward, the Rack VST will not change apart from a few minor things because PH/RS never revisit something once it is "done". Sad but true.

C//AZM

25 Sep 2019

So they're giving more reason to not use Reason's sequencer. They're prioritizing the rack above the seq. part. I guess it's inevitable seeing that Reason began as a rack.

Data_Shrine

25 Sep 2019

As someone else said, they should have warned us about it and dropped it in R12, if absolutely necessary. If it is *really* related to the next Mac Os update, they shouldn't have gone the lazy way and update the code. I get no warning about it in Mojave (which warns you when a 32-bit app or process won't work in the coming update).

So how are those of you who updated enjoying the lack of Remote codec control ?

QVprod

25 Sep 2019

C//AZM wrote:
25 Sep 2019
QVprod wrote:
28 Aug 2019

Response was directly to Gorilla Texas’s post about using ReDrum and Rex loops.

PT users on the other hand have a loss here since there’s no guarantee of AAX support as well as no Rewire. Of course what the rack plugin doesn’t replace is syncing songs created in Reason.

musicman691

26 Sep 2019

QVprod wrote:
25 Sep 2019
C//AZM wrote:
25 Sep 2019

Response was directly to Gorilla Texas’s post about using ReDrum and Rex loops.

PT users on the other hand have a loss here since there’s no guarantee of AAX support as well as no Rewire. Of course what the rack plugin doesn’t replace is syncing songs created in Reason.
And this is why I'm not getting in on this 'upgrade'. I've been on R8 for like forever and R11 looked like a great way to get off my butt and get current with Reason. No more Rewire - fantastic. Reason as a plugin in PT - also fantastic. But wait a minute - no aax - not so fantastic. Yeah could run it inside Blue Cat Patchwork but why should I buy into it even if it might be a temp solution. The fact that the developers don't even have a framework for doing aax like they do for au makes me not want to part with money at this time.
Jack
MacPro mid-2012 3.46 GHz hexcore Westmere 48 gig ram
OSX 10.13.6
PT2021.6, Reason 8.3
QAPLA!

jaysunstar

28 Sep 2019

This is a disastrous decision for Pro Tools users. Pro Tools is not vst supported so unless the user buys bluecat audio's patchwork or similar, they have no way to integrate Reason with Pro Tools now. Hopefully they will create an aax verison of reason after the are finished making the UA version of the plugin. I have to keep Reason 10 just to use it with Pro Tools. What a fail.

Oquasec

01 Oct 2019

Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

musicman691

02 Oct 2019

Couple of things wrong with that article. First off is the fxpansion wrapper hasn't been updated and there hasn't been a PT version that has used RTAS in years. Second is that technically anything run inside VEPro (which is now at version 7 and no longer hosts 32 bit plugins on a Mac) does not run in PT. You shuttle or audio from PT to VEpro and back again. But it is easier to get multiple audio streams back in to PT from Reason Rack. Unlike with Blue Cat Patchwork where the routing to get multiple audio streams out is a bit Byzantine and not really explained in Patchwork's manual.

Oh yeah - one more thing about the fxpansion wrapper - Avid outlawed wrappers a few years back.
Jack
MacPro mid-2012 3.46 GHz hexcore Westmere 48 gig ram
OSX 10.13.6
PT2021.6, Reason 8.3
QAPLA!

Boombastix
Competition Winner

02 Oct 2019

Data_Shrine wrote:
25 Sep 2019
As someone else said, they should have warned us about it and dropped it in R12, if absolutely necessary. If it is *really* related to the next Mac Os update, they shouldn't have gone the lazy way and update the code. I get no warning about it in Mojave (which warns you when a 32-bit app or process won't work in the coming update).

So how are those of you who updated enjoying the lack of Remote codec control ?
Well, many, if not most, plugin manufacturers warn about the Apple update. So many Mac users will not update for a while, thus Reason 11 could certainly be useful for Mac users if having Rewire. Windows users are not affected.
Would it have been possible to make Rewire optional, a setting to turn on off, or an option during install? Doesn't seem the decision to kill it was completely thought through.

There is this Rewire host VST to Rewire into, could somebody make a Rewire 'slave' VST?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Oquasec

02 Oct 2019

oh guys the plugin is not midi channels or piano roll, they actually took that shit out of the plugin version.
They left the europa one alone. Those things is for layering. All of those audio tracks in the vst version can only just be layered.
Each instance of rack plugin is just an instrument.
Producer/Programmer.

Data_Shrine

02 Oct 2019

Boombastix wrote:
02 Oct 2019

Well, many, if not most, plugin manufacturers warn about the Apple update. So many Mac users will not update for a while, thus Reason 11 could certainly be useful for Mac users if having Rewire. Windows users are not affected.
Would it have been possible to make Rewire optional, a setting to turn on off, or an option during install? Doesn't seem the decision to kill it was completely thought through.
Indeed it seems like it wasn't thought completely through, like many things they're been doing in the recent years. I wonder if anyone at RS really uses their own software.

Oquasec

02 Oct 2019

you can run Reason 10 and 11 at the same time tbh.
They look almost identical
Producer/Programmer.

Carpainter

03 Oct 2019

C//AZM wrote:
25 Sep 2019
I wonder why they killed it off rather than simply leaving it in there?
Killing Rewire incentivizes people to upgrade to Reason 11 if they want to use it inside of another DAW. And by incentivize, I mean forces them to. It won't be long before Rewire is 'legacy' technology that DAW developers will leave behind.

I'm starting to see why a lot of people have a fetish for hardware. Going the hardware route means never having to worry about planned obsolescence or abandoned software that eventually stops working on newer operating systems. They do have to worry about their hardware breaking down over time, but it must be liberating to walk away from the DAW/plugin roller coaster.

miscend

03 Oct 2019

I never used ReWire as it always seemed too compromised because it didn't support midi. If I'm using Logic And Reason together, I only want to work from one sequencer to sequence the project rather than using both at the same time.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

03 Oct 2019

Oquasec wrote:
02 Oct 2019
you can run Reason 10 and 11 at the same time tbh.
They look almost identical
Yeah, but what is the point. You cannot open an R11 file in R10 and Rewire it.
Buy R11 for the Rack Plugin only and make songs in R10? But, I cannot use my Combinators from R10 anyhow, they have VSTs inside.

Every approach you try to take, they messed it up putting in some stumbling block. If anyone has some sensible idea how to move a Reason project into another DAW I am all ears.

Can AAF export be a workable solution for those who records in Protools/Cubase etc?
I also see the need to be able to move to another DAW WHILE still being able to edit in the song. You cannot just have bounced audio while still recording and developing a song. Works for final mix-down, yes, but not good while the song is still developing...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

dj2bklyn

02 Nov 2019

Reason 11 BAD FUCKING IDEA
Can you ReWire Reason 11 with other DAW hosts?

No, ReWire has been discontinued in Reason 11. If you have projects that use ReWire, you can keep your previous version of Reason installed alongside Reason 11. Otherwise, we suggest that you use Reason Rack Plugin instead,
THIS IS GOING TO HURT PROPELLERHEADS WHO EVER DECIDED THIS IDEA IS REALLY AN ASS!!!!

moneykube

02 Nov 2019

agreed... the most stupid thing ever... makes no sense to me... add video to reason and well less stupid but still a bad idea... backwards compatable no longer a thing... this opens a can of worms for sure... will remain on 10... upgrade money for props is over period.
Last edited by moneykube on 02 Nov 2019, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

• Information