Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
FiatLux

26 Aug 2019

Creativemind wrote:
26 Aug 2019
MattiasHG wrote:
26 Aug 2019

No, afraid not. There's no stepped discount. But the upgrade price is so low so if you don't own like 2 devices it's still a great deal (and you get Reason 11 too!) :)
So there's no reduction for devices you already own, so let's say you want the Scenic Hybrid Instrument device and you have all the others (quite possible), is it available to buy separately?
Disappointing for me, I already own every other plugin (other than the new Scenic Hybrid Instrument) in the suite.
Based on other Prop's REs, it is likely that Scenic Hybrid Instrument will be selling for $99
Reason Suite ends up not being a great deal for me. So much for loyal customer support. :(
Last edited by FiatLux on 26 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

26 Aug 2019

tiker01 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Creativemind wrote:
26 Aug 2019

Looks fantastic and thanks for the update but not to sound ungrateful but there doesn't seem a lot of workflow improvements in the scheme of things. Hoping there's more? I spotted curved automation, auto-crossfading of audio and muting midi notes at first watch. Oh sorry and that thing where you can make a quick snare roll duplicating note thing in the midi editor.

And it said in the video, "mute individual midi notes". So you can't say, highlight a whole bar bass line in the midi editor and bam, mute the whole bass line in one fell swoop? 'cause clicking the individual notes will be very time consuming, or can we at least drag the mute tool along and it mutes as it goes would be great.
I think there is the M shortcut to mute items which I guess will work in this case too.
Yes there is, Mattias mentioned it already, thanks. Would've been great though if using the mute tool would also work if you held down the left mouse button and scrolled along the notes, also on sequencer clips. ;)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

26 Aug 2019

owlymane wrote:
26 Aug 2019
owlymane wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Regarding the "Draw Multiple Notes" functionality, I saw from the GIF on the website that you add and remove notes in one click. Correct? Is it the left click ?

And regarding the zoom functionality, only vertical zoom has been improved? So the vertical zoom is expandable. Any improvements in the horizontal/usual zoom itself?
You don't want to answer me?
As you might imagine, I'm very busy right now. Sorry I missed it! ;)

Horizontal zoom has always been able to go as far as near-sample level, that's still the case. But zoom tools like magnifying glass and Z key now respects vertical zoom too. You can't have different horizontal zoom levels for tracks though, that'd make the timeline REAL strange.

The pen tool doesn't remove notes, no, that gif is just looping back and forth.

owlymane

26 Aug 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
26 Aug 2019
owlymane wrote:
26 Aug 2019

You don't want to answer me?
As you might imagine, I'm very busy right now. Sorry I missed it! ;)

Horizontal zoom has always been able to go as far as near-sample level, that's still the case. But zoom tools like magnifying glass and Z key now respects vertical zoom too. You can't have different horizontal zoom levels for tracks though, that'd make the timeline REAL strange.

The pen tool doesn't remove notes, no, that gif is just looping back and forth.

All clear. Thx :thumbs_up:

Heigen5

26 Aug 2019

antic604 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
MattiasHG wrote:
26 Aug 2019

Check out the FAQ further down on the page.
Sorry, found it too! If I have some of them, will my upgrade price take that into account?
Ha, I must be lucky as I don't own anything from this list yet. So yeah, it seems like I'm going for the suite. :puf_smile:

borracho

26 Aug 2019

Fantastic update! I'm really happy Reason is taking Rack as VST direction - I'll upgrade to Suite version, I was postponing to buy PHs REs to see what will be included in the next update and I'm more than happy to see almost all their REs there.
It is interesting how MIDI would work with Reason Rack - how it will report its controls to the host, will there be a simple way to automate RE parameters from the host? Another question is will DrRex export copy midi notes to the host? Or how it would work? Same with Players devices - will it be possible to copy midi data to the host?
Also I hope Reason Rack comes to iOS someday...

Creativemind

26 Aug 2019

tiker01 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
I thought that people have learned that since the auto update has been introduced the release of a Reason X.0 is not the final version they pay the upgrade price for. Also I think people should try the new version before being so vocal about it. I remember when 10 came out so many people was disappointed but I think Reason 10 is quite a good package with all the updates it received.

And yes I am all for Folders in the sequencer and track freeze etc... but I think the sequencer has evolved quite a lot in the last 3 versions. Perhaps PH should have retain multi lane MIDI editing to version 11 :puf_bigsmile:
It received like 4 workflow additions. The Adjust Multiple Faders (which didn't apply to the same mix channels in the rack if you wanted to do that there as well), the ghost notes (forget the actual name now), the midi grid thing (again forget the name of it) and that + button. 4 workflow improvements when even including what they'ved added in this update (from what I can see) is still only a 5th of what I want. Cloned clips, undo history, many more audio and midi features, ruler markers and consolidate clips in the bounce in place, oh and themes affect the mixer - PLEASSSE!

exxx

26 Aug 2019

There's no 8 point eq, and no idea how much fresh new samples you've recorded.

There aren't enough mastering or other meters, and no new compressors or reverbs.

Are the extra instruments in the suite really useful in the modern music market?

It is good to be able to use the rack of reason from outside

This seems to be the last thought to shut down the company.

Creativemind

26 Aug 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
26 Aug 2019
It's a shame, still no real time key highlights on the sequencer when you are playing the notes on your keyboards/midi controllers.
Yes, I noticed that (so simple but so needed for a long time now) but let's hope there's more not shown in the video.

stp2015

26 Aug 2019

1) This upgrade will generate a ton of cash flows from the young kids and returners. Please invest these cash flows back into Reason development.
2) Great that REs are now open to anyone in other DAWs
3) Can you give some outlook on point upgrades? What we get here as established users seems a bit limited.
4) What about 4k/Vector Graphics? VSTs look real good these days, Reason Rack will sound fantastic, but potentially appear very dated.

Mor1

26 Aug 2019

Mattias hi, a relly fast question : The matrix pattern sequencer and also the players sequencers that we have in rack will be in sync with the session view??

Ad0

26 Aug 2019

It is amazing that reason will be VST since I lost the hope of easy external FX integration. Then that can be done in another DAW with hardware FX plugin.

But why is ReWire ditched? Will the sequencer part be available in the VST? Doesn't look like it.
Will the workflow improvements be backported into 10.5 ?
How will dragging a pattern from Octorex work into the DAW?

Fred bladder

26 Aug 2019

I can see why a lot of seasoned reason users are feeling a tad let down.
from a purely personal view this update is fantastic and has ticked so many boxes for me.
I've always been split between Ableton Live and reason.while rewire was an option, it felt like a work around but
now having reasons rack as a VST just feels so right.
At the moment my mind is racing with the possibilities,from being able to track freeze the whole rack to using max devices with reason,not to mention the clip launch capabilities.
Finally the upgrade to suite includes all but 2 new REs for me,i suppose this time i got lucky.

dusan.cani

26 Aug 2019

Creativemind wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Yeah that does sound kinda like they've given up in some respects when you put it like that. Your favourite daw, Reason should be OUR favourite daw. I was really hoping Cloning / Mimic'd Clips would be added. Such a time saver and probably been in other daws 5 years if not more.
guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019
the few workflow improvements that are there look great, but you don’t have to look far in this forum (which obviously Props are aware of) for many, many other suggestions that people really wanted. opening the rack to other DAWs is a smart move, sure, and technically, now, we’ll have access to all those features in other DAWs, but for all its weaknesses, I LIKE the workflow in Reason—I want to use THAT. now I have to consider buying, and learning another DAW if I want the best of both worlds, and don’t want to wait another two years for Reason to catch up.

I hope you can at least understand why many of us are underwhelmed by this update, @MattiasHG.
:thumbs_up: EXACTLY

stp2015

26 Aug 2019

exxx wrote:
26 Aug 2019
This seems to be the last thought to shut down the company.
It really does not seem like that at all to me. All the Ableton kids :D will now consider Reason as an alternative to Reaktor or even Komplete.

I think this is a genius move really from a business perspective. Think of all the Rack Extensions that will now get sold. A bigger user base means the RE market will prosper again :D

friday

26 Aug 2019

antic604 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Sorry, found it too! If I have some of them, will my upgrade price take that into account?
good question, i have 70% of theme, that's hard if you still have to pay the full price?
Last edited by friday on 26 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Molotovbeatz

26 Aug 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
26 Aug 2019

That's one of the workflow features! It shows both what you're playing (incoming MIDI) and what you've selected in different colors.
Great, can't wait to see it. Thanks for the info :cool:

OldGoat

26 Aug 2019

Hi all,

According to the description of Reason 11 the following feature has not been integrated (yet): "use midi from vst" or in other words "use midi vsts".
Is that correct?

stp2015

26 Aug 2019

stp2015 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
I think this is a genius move really from a business perspective. Think of all the Rack Extensions that will now get sold. A bigger user base means the RE market will prosper again :D
Also: Next move will be to sell REs on IOS in Reason Compact. This will not be that interesting to me, but it will make Props (sorry Reason Studios) even more money. Opening their business up in this way will be massive, and Reason will benefit from it. Having Reason and REs as a closed platform really was not good.

Heigen5

26 Aug 2019

Anyway, I'm very satisfied to see the rack versions of the SSL EQ, Channel Compressor and the Master Compressor - as I was one of those who requested for them. Woooo!

I'm not sure I will use Reason as a VST though, but that's because I can do everything I need inside Reason. But there's so many other users who have been wanting this. :thumbs_up:

Curved automation: Yes! It's really cool that this was also added finally. :thumbs_up:

Draw multiple notes: Well hell, as a techno artist, I can now make my snare rolls more easylie. :thumbs_up:

Show played and selected notes in key edit: This should make some tasks easier for sure. :thumbs_up:

This is overall a great upgrade Props!!

Ps. I just made a post over the Reasonheads yesterday and demanded you to announce a version 11 and then the next day it all happened, Ha! :mrgreen:

dezma

26 Aug 2019

OldGoat wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Hi all,

According to the description of Reason 11 the following feature has not been integrated (yet): "use midi from vst" or in other words "use midi vsts".
Is that correct?
Correct, no midi vst, and no midi out for synth/fx vst.

Krell

26 Aug 2019

No graphical update for users of high resolution monitors so this will be a pass for me.
Reason 12 // Bitwig 4 // Live 11 // Logic Pro X // Fabfilter // Soundtoys // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

tiker01

26 Aug 2019

Krell wrote:
26 Aug 2019
No graphical update for users of high resolution monitors so this will be a pass for me.
Perhaps in a point update they will finally add it. The new flat piano roll and that you could scale Europe VST suggest me that they have designed the tech part but they need time to implement and design it.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

guitfnky

26 Aug 2019

feels like this time Props’ (sorry, Reason Studios’) cleverness got in the way of giving users the experience they want. this release should’ve been an easy home run, but they ended up bunting.

guess the new lesson they should learn is that you don’t have to be innovative in EVERYTHING you do ALL THE TIME. sometimes focusing on fundamentals will take you farther. unfortunately with v11, we’re still waiting on MOST of those fundamentals.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

artmessiah

26 Aug 2019

I barely post here, but I have to admit I'm thoroughly disappointed with this update. It's as if PH/RS have basically decided to screw looooooong time Reason users (since Reason 1.0 for me) in favor of users of other DAWs with a "Reason Rack" VST. Not to mention if you remove the Hype - dedicated reason only users barely get anything. No free major instrument (we have to pay for the new Scenic synth - which is fine, but still). There's no major overhaul of the Sequencer, something ALL reason users have been begging for for years, and for the few upgrades to the workflow we still have to pay a full on upgrade price for WHAT exactly? The half rack SSL's are cool, but not that critical. Some like Reason and Reason alone and don't need or want a VST version of the rack to use in ANOTHER DAW. I understand the commercial strategy behind this move and I understand the need to grow the "Reason" customer base, but I feel this will just push people away from using Reason as a DAW only. Ok, rant over ;)
Last edited by artmessiah on 26 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

• Information