Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
enossified

27 Aug 2019

Another person here who actually uses Rewire. I guess that means not only does it disappear from Reason but for other DAWs that use it (like Rewiring Live to Logic, which I do) it's a dead protocol and at some point it will stop working due to an OS change or something and then it will be unfixable. Or DAW makers may pull out support in some future version. With no Rewire, using Reason Rack in Logic is impossible until the promised AU version shows up...hope they stay on schedule better than the Massive X team did ;)

mashers

27 Aug 2019

EdGrip wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Question for the "we should get those features in Reason 10.5!" people.

What's your threshold for keeping features to a new version number?
This is not a simple question to answer. As a software developer, I know how much work can go into developing changes which may on the surface appear to be fairly straightforward. Generally speaking developers will incremental version number changes if the work involved in making those changes is fairly limited, and/or if they are changes which will appear fairly insignificant to the user, and/or if they are critical updates due to an error in the development of the currently released version. Unfortunately for developers, a lot of people who use software these days have forgotten (or weren't alive during) the time when incremental changes to software didn't exist. If there was a problem with the software, there was no internet to download a free update. You had to wait for the next version, and buy it. So the expectation of the user is that they should have free updates just because they want them. Users of software need to remember that the money they paid for software is for THAT VERSION of the software. There is absolutely no obligation from the developer to give ANY free updates. If a user isn't satisfied with the feature set of the software at the time they buy it, then they shouldn't buy it. And if features are added in a paid update and the user doesn't want to pay, then it's tough shit. I take free updates as a bonus, and never begrudge paying for updates. Software development is hugely more complex than most people realise and is a task which would be utterly incomprehensible to a majority of the users of the software, and the people who do the work deserve to be paid for it.
EdGrip wrote:
27 Aug 2019
If - hypothetically - Reason 11 had been a more full-on onslaught of minor-to-medium workflow features, would you still be of the opinion that Reason 10 users should get them? If so, why?
No, there is no reason why anybody SHOULD get anything. Like I said, the money that was paid by users of Reason 10 was for a piece of software with the features of Reason 10. If Propellerhead choose to give some free features to users of Reason 10 then that's up to them. But if they decide to withhold all of those features for people who want to pay to upgrade to Reason 11, that also is their choice. Nobody is entitled to anything for free.
EdGrip wrote:
27 Aug 2019
If it didn't have Reason Rack VST, what would Reason 11 have to do for you to allow it to keep new features to itself?
That's a good question. For me personally, if there wasn't the VST version*, then I would expect to see more significant improvements to the sequencer, and updates to some of the older devices (Combinator is long overdue an upgrade). A native Linux version would also be nice, but this is probably beyond the scope of an upgrade. It would be almost as much work as rewriting it from scratch, so I would expect to have to buy it again at full price.

I realise this response probably sounds a bit ranty... that is not my intention, I'm just giving my honest answers to your questions.

* I do not intend to use the VST version as I use Reason as my only DAW, but I will probably pay for the upgrade because I want to experiment with trying to get the VST running on Linux.

mashers

27 Aug 2019

enossified wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Another person here who actually uses Rewire. I guess that means not only does it disappear from Reason but for other DAWs that use it (like Rewiring Live to Logic, which I do) it's a dead protocol and at some point it will stop working due to an OS change or something and then it will be unfixable. Or DAW makers may pull out support in some future version. With no Rewire, using Reason Rack in Logic is impossible until the promised AU version shows up...hope they stay on schedule better than the Massive X team did ;)
I wouldn't worry too much about that. There are probably VSTs which can link DAWs to each other, and if there aren't, one will pop up if Rewire dies. It would be a fairly trivial task for a VST developer to write a socket protocol which can connect from a VST running in one DAW to one running in another.

chaosroyale

27 Aug 2019

Some good, some bad, and some ugly.

TL;DR - From the point of view of other DAW users, Reason 11 will be competing directly with Native Instruments, Omnisphere 2, and VPS Avenger. It will need to update and improve the rack devices, not simply add more and more underpowered devices.

Good - VST rack for other DAWs. Many people wanted it. It could be a smart move, IF they get the core devices up to scratch, but see the "bad" for a possible problem.

Good - workflow updates. Yeah, it took them long enough, but between 10.5 and 11, many of the top user requests have been taken care of. Not too bad. If they get VST MIDI, cloned clips, and track markers sorted, will everyone finally be happy? I was a big workflow critic but I am quite satisfied with most of these updates.

Good - Chorus and new Filter/Phaser are great. The old half rack chorus needed retiring, and Pulverizer has always been half-assed. The old filter sounded great but had limited modes, so this new one will be a welcome standalone filter too.

...that's the end of the good stuff. No much-needed improvements to old devices.

Bad - Simple and old-school devices like the SSL EQ and comp are fine, but they are dime-a-dozen, and the problem is Reason has NO high-end EQ or comp devices. The Mclass EQ sucks compared to every other DAWs modern-style EQ. Mclass comp is blah. No multiband comp. Scream 4 sounds amazing but still hasn't fixed the tape mode phase issues. No wet/dry on most devices.

NN-XT is going to be competing directly with Kontakt and Ableton's sampler now... that's kind of embarrassing.

I have a feeling that users of Ableton, Logic or FL will load up Reason expecting something high-powered like Kontakt or Avenger and they will be disappointed to see that many of the devices are less powerful than the stuff included on their own DAW.

Ugly - No combinator 2. Come on... this is 10 years overdue now. And still no hi-res UI options.

As for anyone wanting the new workflow updates in Reason 10... uh, they are here and it is called Reason 11... what planet do you live on where updates go backwards?

Luxuria

27 Aug 2019

EdGrip wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Question for the "we should get those features in Reason 10.5!" people.

What's your threshold for keeping features to a new version number?
If - hypothetically - Reason 11 had been a more full-on onslaught of minor-to-medium workflow features, would you still be of the opinion that Reason 10 users should get them? If so, why?

If it didn't have Reason Rack VST, what would Reason 11 have to do for you to allow it to keep new features to itself?
I'm not even in V10 so I don't want to misspeak for that crowd but no -I don't believe the 6 workflow updates should have been a 10.5 update if something else like a sequencer update was the main highlight to V11.

My threshold is very high as you can tell since I'm on V8 and I'm still batch that V9-V11 still aren't worth the upgrade.

I know Pheads track record hasn't changed so small workflow improvements (1-5 features) each version are the normal, but it's hard not to look at literally every other DAW and get upset with how little substance reason updates have.

I think the only thing that would have saved face for not advocating a 10.5 update would have been the big and sequencer revamp we've been hoping for with 4-5 midi features, 4-5 audio editing features, track folders, and the 6 workflow features currently presented.

guitfnky

27 Aug 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Good - workflow updates. Yeah, it took them long enough, but between 10.5 and 11, many of the top user requests have been taken care of. Not too bad. If they get VST MIDI, cloned clips, and track markers sorted, will everyone finally be happy?
to answer your question, no. seven workflow updates is just a scratch on the surface of what’s needed, and the ones you listed will be welcome, but it’s nowhere near enough. look at any of the multiple feature request/feature speculation threads that have been active for the last year or two, and you’ll find a huge list of quality of life improvements that come standard with the vast majority of other DAWs, but still aren’t in Reason.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

KGB

27 Aug 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Some good, some bad, and some ugly.

TL;DR - From the point of view of other DAW users, Reason 11 will be competing directly with Native Instruments, Omnisphere 2, and VPS Avenger. It will need to update and improve the rack devices, not simply add more and more underpowered devices.

Good - VST rack for other DAWs. Many people wanted it. It could be a smart move, IF they get the core devices up to scratch, but see the "bad" for a possible problem.

Good - workflow updates. Yeah, it took them long enough, but between 10.5 and 11, many of the top user requests have been taken care of. Not too bad. If they get VST MIDI, cloned clips, and track markers sorted, will everyone finally be happy? I was a big workflow critic but I am quite satisfied with most of these updates.

Good - Chorus and new Filter/Phaser are great. The old half rack chorus needed retiring, and Pulverizer has always been half-assed. The old filter sounded great but had limited modes, so this new one will be a welcome standalone filter too.

...that's the end of the good stuff. No much-needed improvements to old devices.

Bad - Simple and old-school devices like the SSL EQ and comp are fine, but they are dime-a-dozen, and the problem is Reason has NO high-end EQ or comp devices. The Mclass EQ sucks compared to every other DAWs modern-style EQ. Mclass comp is blah. No multiband comp. Scream 4 sounds amazing but still hasn't fixed the tape mode phase issues. No wet/dry on most devices.

NN-XT is going to be competing directly with Kontakt and Ableton's sampler now... that's kind of embarrassing.

I have a feeling that users of Ableton, Logic or FL will load up Reason expecting something high-powered like Kontakt or Avenger and they will be disappointed to see that many of the devices are less powerful than the stuff included on their own DAW.

Ugly - No combinator 2. Come on... this is 10 years overdue now. And still no hi-res UI options.

As for anyone wanting the new workflow updates in Reason 10... uh, they are here and it is called Reason 11... what planet do you live on where updates go backwards?
The more I think about it, why wouldn't Reason Studios want to update the devices and core features to make them more modern, and then add Reason as a VST in Reason 12 or Reason VST 1.0 mid cycle of 11?

I love Reasons workflow, but I'll be skipping R11. Maybe R11.5 will address the core user base sometime in late 2020😑. I'll still be around God willing..

joeyluck

27 Aug 2019

Yeah ReasonTalk definitely represents a particular portion of the user base. The vibe is certainly different elsewhere. Such as Facebook, where you might only see a few negative remarks amongst a sea of positive comments and excitement. https://www.facebook.com/Propellerhead/ ... 420713759/

And if you treat that one Facebook post like a poll you would here, well you get this: Amongst the nearing 1000 reactions, you have mostly likes and loves, and only but 2 angry faces and 2 sad faces... I would still say that this also only represents a small portion of the user base of course, but just presenting for the contrast.

For me, I recognize that they have made all the right moves to set Reason up for success. Anybody can migrate to Reason now... VST support was added and then performance improved. And the Reason Rack will now be able to be used as a plugin, so even those who don't want to migrate their DAW and workflow can get on board. And that may not be very exciting for Reason-only users. But now it can hopefully be full steam ahead with Reason Rack improvements (that we will see in Reason as well) and core improvements.

The features I want most that are not included in Reason 11.0:
  • MPE Support (the future of MIDI performance)
  • VST3 Support (the future of VST plugins)
  • Video Support (another very useful staple of being a DAW)
  • Cabling Improvements (highlight possible connections and double-click to assign)
  • Slice marker sensitivity slider (the final feature needed from ReCycle)
  • Browser Tags for better searching (assignable, but also initially designated from shop pages)
  • Rearrangeable Windows (mixer on bottom or side, etc)
  • Rack Zoom (either whole rack or pop-out windows for individual devices)
  • Score Edit (Reason projects are difficult to share with musicians for performance)
I want MPE support the most. I'm happy about the crossfade and individual track height features. I so wish alt audio takes in Reason were treated differently. I don't use comp edit as I like to have everything visible in the sequencer. I'd prefer to have alt audio takes that didn't duplicate all of the devices (presented the same as new note lanes for instruments). And maybe we'll never see something like score edit? But it's on my list. Even Garageband has MPE support and score edit, so... fingers crossed.

bxbrkrz

27 Aug 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
bxbrkrz wrote:
26 Aug 2019

Yes.
Ok, but we don't have any solution there, if you want to use Reason 11 for everything + Resolve for it's video. This is where Rewire WOULD be a solution.
I realized that. I need to control the playback of the sequencer. That Vst option is not what I thought it meant. Rewire indeed, but it's dead.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

EnochLight

27 Aug 2019

Luxuria wrote:
27 Aug 2019
My threshold is very high as you can tell since I'm on V8 and I'm still batch that V9-V11 still aren't worth the upgrade.
Your threshold isn't just very high, it's ridiculously unrealistic. :lol: As of today, if you're on Version 8, paying just $129 USD gets you:
  • New Player devices: Note Echo, Scales & Chords, & Dual Arpeggio (R9)
  • Audio Pitch Editor for vocals and other monophonic audio (R9)
  • Convert vocals to MIDI notes (R9)
  • 1000 new sounds (R9)
  • Dark Modes (R9)
  • Ableton Link support (R9.1)
  • New RE SDK support for changeable panels/widgets, sampling, etc (R9.2)
  • VST support (R9.5)
  • Grain Sample Manipulator (R10)
  • Europa Shapeshifting Synthesizer (with sample loading) (R10/10.1)
  • 3 romplers: Klang, Humana, and Pangea (R10)
  • Radical Piano (R10)
  • Synchronous Effect Modulator (R10)
  • 3 GB of new sample and loop content (R10)
  • Hundreds of new presets (R10)
  • Players SDK 3 update (R10.1)
  • Multi Lane Editing for MIDI (R10.2)
  • Adaptive snap to grid (R10.2)
  • improved navigation (R10.2)
  • Adjust multiple faders, solo and mute in the mixer (R10.2)
  • Performance improvements (both in VST as well as RE) (R10.3)
  • Monotone Bass Synthesizer (R10.4)
  • Rytmik Drum Machine (R10.4)
  • Open Reason Compact 2.0 from iOS song files in Reason desktop proper (R10.4)
  • A multitude of bug fixes and other tweaks
  • A bunch of new rack devices: Quartet Chorus Ensemble, Sweeper Modulation Effect, Master Bus Compressor, Channel Dynamics, and Channel EQ (the last three emulating landmark analog gear – and adapted from the existing mixer, but now possible to use in Combinator patches and the new plug-in) (R11)
  • Curved automation and audio clip crossfades (R11)
  • Improved vertical zoom (R11)
  • New MIDI editing features (mute, multiple notes, selection enhancements) (R11)
  • And of course, the ability load Reason's Rack as a plugin instrument or effect in any DAW that supports VST 3
  • And a few others I missed: Bounce In Place, Slice Midi Notes with the Razor, adding effects and instruments with the + button in the rack and sequencer, also Reason can automatically detect your midi controller without having to restart it; hyperthreading (YMMV LOL!), song position pointer can now automatically return to the last play position (thanks Creativemind)!
If you don't think all of that is worth a mere $129 USD, then I'd like to visit the imaginary dream world you possibly may inhabit. :puf_smile:
Last edited by EnochLight on 27 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

NekujaK

27 Aug 2019

After closely following this thread, and others on the web, for a day-and-a-half, and occasionally chiming in myself, I've come to the following conclusions, FWIW:

RACK VST: The Rack VST makes good business sense for the Props (I'm going to continue to call them that). It breathes new life into REs and exposes them to a large new audience.

REASON 11: The handful of improvements to the Reason DAW feel like a point release rather than a full-blown new version. For me personally, this is my main source of irritation with the announcement. It should've simply been 10.5 for free, or add more substantial fixes before releasing it as 11. And the Rack VST should have been released separately as its own product.

EXTERNAL REACTION: Non-Reason users outside this forum are generally very excited about the Rack VST, so it seems like it could sell well, which is good for the Props' bottom line.

INTERNAL REACTION: Quite a few loyal Reason users are miffed the Reason DAW didn't get more love in this update. Particularly after so many much-needed improvements were discussed so intensely for the past year or so.

IMPROVING REASON: The lack of any direct statements (unless I missed something) from the Props about continuing to actively support and improve the Reason DAW is a little worrying. On the one hand, the code base is very old and is probably difficult to work with. On the other hand, they just performed a mammoth job on 10.4 to change how Reason processes audio internally, so it would seem other core changes are feasible - but do the Props feel the effort is worthwhile?

FUTURE OF REASON: So we're left with this big question: If and how will the Reason DAW continue to be supported? That'll probably be hotly debated until the Props weigh-in with a definitive statement (don't hold your breath), or the company is sold, or goes out of business, or aliens land and adopt Reason as their primary inter-galactic navigation device.

LOOK OUT AHEAD: Whatever happens, I feel there will be some big changes surrounding Reason and the business behind it in the next year. So hunker down, it's going to get bumpy...
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Creativemind

27 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Luxuria wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Your threshold isn't just very high, it's ridiculously unrealistic. :lol: As of today, if you're on Version 8, paying just $129 USD gets you:
  • New Player devices: Note Echo, Scales & Chords, & Dual Arpeggio (R9)
  • Audio Pitch Editor for vocals and other monophonic audio (R9)
  • Convert vocals to MIDI notes (R9)
  • 1000 new sounds (R9)
  • Dark Modes (R9)
  • Ableton Link support (R9.1)
  • New RE SDK support for changeable panels/widgets, sampling, etc (R9.2)
  • VST support (R9.5)
  • Grain Sample Manipulator (R10)
  • Europa Shapeshifting Synthesizer (with sample loading) (R10/10.1)
  • 3 romplers: Klang, Humana, and Pangea (R10)
  • Radical Piano (R10)
  • Synchronous Effect Modulator (R10)
  • 3 GB of new sample and loop content (R10)
  • Hundreds of new presets (R10)
  • Players SDK 3 update (R10.1)
  • Multi Lane Editing for MIDI (R10.2)
  • Adaptive snap to grid (R10.2)
  • improved navigation (R10.2)
  • Adjust multiple faders, solo and mute in the mixer (R10.2)
  • Performance improvements (both in VST as well as RE) (R10.3)
  • Monotone Bass Synthesizer (R10.4)
  • Rytmik Drum Machine (R10.4)
  • Open Reason Compact 2.0 from iOS song files in Reason desktop proper (R10.4)
  • A multitude of bug fixes and other tweaks
  • A bunch of new rack devices: Quartet Chorus Ensemble, Sweeper Modulation Effect, Master Bus Compressor, Channel Dynamics, and Channel EQ (the last three emulating landmark analog gear – and adapted from the existing mixer, but now possible to use in Combinator patches and the new plug-in) (R11)
  • Curved automation and audio clip crossfades (R11)
  • Improved vertical zoom (R11)
  • New MIDI editing features (mute, multiple notes, selection enhancements) (R11)
  • And of course, the ability load Reason's Rack as a plugin instrument or effect in any DAW that supports VST 3
If you don't think all of that is worth a mere $129 USD, then I'd like to visit the imaginary dream world you possibly may inhabit. :puf_smile:
Good list but also -

Bounce In Place
Slice Midi Notes with the Razor
The adding effects and instruments with the + button in the rack and sequencer
Reason can automatically detect your midi controller without having to restart it
Hyperthreading
Song position pointer can now automatically return to the last play position
Drag a Midi Clip Onto an Existing Midi Track without it creating a new track and ID8
Multi-Lane Edit (like ghost lanes)

Also you didn't state it's VST 2.4 support as opposed to VST 3.

Also it's a blue theme and dark theme not dark modes. :lol:
Last edited by Creativemind on 27 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

EnochLight

27 Aug 2019

NekujaK wrote:
27 Aug 2019
IMPROVING REASON: The lack of any direct statements (unless I missed something) from the Props about continuing to actively support and improve the Reason DAW is a little worrying. On the one hand, the code base is very old and is probably difficult to work with. On the other hand, they just performed a mammoth job on 10.4 to change how Reason processes audio internally, so it would seem other core changes are feasible - but do the Props feel the effort is worthwhile?
There was a direct statement - check Mattias' blog post, as well as posts in this thread. Reason DAW will of course continue to be developed and supported. No worries. ;) Last paragraph:

https://www.propellerheads.com/blog/ann ... ct-manager
NekujaK wrote:
27 Aug 2019
FUTURE OF REASON: So we're left with this big question: If and how will the Reason DAW continue to be supported? That'll probably be hotly debated until the Props weigh-in with a definitive statement (don't hold your breath), or the company is sold, or goes out of business, or aliens land and adopt Reason as their primary inter-galactic navigation device.
We already have the big answer: they'll continue to develop Reason DAW. And likely keep trying new things. Full stop. And if they're sold? No big deal - anyone willing to pony up that sort of cash is going to want to keep it flowing in.

NekujaK wrote:
27 Aug 2019
LOOK OUT AHEAD: Whatever happens, I feel there will be some big changes surrounding Reason and the business behind it in the next year. So hunker down, it's going to get bumpy...
Arguably, it's been a bumpy ride for well over 2 decades. It's just that some of us seem to be riding in cars with better shock absorbers than others. We still reach the destination to make music, though. :)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

syrokitty

27 Aug 2019

This rebranding decision is so damn silly. Smh.

ltbrunt00

27 Aug 2019

I am going to buy up all the rack extensions I have been holding back on. The Reason Rack plugin is the answer I have been waiting for. When I initially saw the reason 11 announcement yesterday I thought it was a pre April fools joke for next year.

I have said in a few of my post in Reasontalk that I directly wanted to use my Rack Extensions in other DAWs. This was usually followed by comments like this will never happen. I realize most people don't have vivid imaginations. It was always a pie n the sky request I thought. I figured why not bring it up from time to time.

I have post similar questions in the Studio 1 and Bitwig forums about those DAWs supporting the Rack Extension format which usually got me the full anger of the internet. I truly think it is easier for people to be negative vs positive thinking and comment.

Once again it was the Props that came through and did something BOLD. Propellerhead, Cubase and Ableton appear to be the only DAW companies that add overall value to the entire DAW product community such as VST and Rewire. Like I said before I am glad that I am getting this part of the Reason 11 upgrade but would have happily paid for the Reason Rack Plugin as a separate product.

The Rack Plugin may cause some headache for the Komplete program from Native instruments. I have the base Komplete 12 package and love the 3rd party plugins built using Kontakt. Kontakt itself is WAY over priced. Someone starting out in another DAW may look at what Reason Plugin has to offer and what comes in the base Komplete 12. I am not saying Komplete as a whole is a bad suite of applications but a brand new Bitwing user which is a bare bones DAW may be more attracted to the Reason suite of programs vs Komplete. Where was the Reason Plugin when I purchased Bitwig a few years ago.

There seems to be many people in the Reasontalk forums that appear to hate anything the Props do which is understandable they can't please everybody. I am one fan that will happily fork over my hard earned cash for this update.

I love innovation!! Now that they are calling themselves Reason Studios can we get a built in or rack extension notation and video editor.

Long live the Props. (Sorry for the long Rant)
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

NekujaK

27 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Aug 2019
NekujaK wrote:
27 Aug 2019
There was a direct statement - check Mattias' blog post, as well as posts in this thread. Reason DAW will of course continue to be developed and supported. No worries. ;) Last paragraph:

https://www.propellerheads.com/blog/ann ... ct-manager
IMHO, his one Reason DAW-related sentence: "We will continue to listen to your feedback, improving Reason and, above all, focusing on making music." seems like a generic placeholder statement, and doesn't necessarily inspire a lot of confidence. A more definitive statement would've been more reassuring, like "we have several features and fixes in the works that will be released later this year", or something to that effect. That blog post doesn't signal strong commitment to the DAW - it's just a safe statement to placate readers.
EnochLight wrote:
27 Aug 2019
NekujaK wrote:
27 Aug 2019
We already have the big answer: they'll continue to develop Reason DAW. And likely keep trying new things. Full stop. And if they're sold? No big deal - anyone willing to pony up that sort of cash is going to want to keep it flowing in.
Yes, of course if they're sold, the Reason DAW is a golden asset and will continue to live. But there's always the chance that either the Props or the new owners may feel the DAW is too costly to maintain, in the face of all the strong competition out there, and the Rack VST deserves all the attention. I don't think we can assume any specific outcome at the moment.
EnochLight wrote:
27 Aug 2019
NekujaK wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Arguably, it's been a bumpy ride for well over 2 decades. It's just that some of us seem to be riding in cars with better shock absorbers than others. We still reach the destination to make music, though. :)
The music is everything - always! But I feel the ride is going to get much bumpier in the next year, no matter what kind of shock absorbers we have :shock:
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

loopeydoug

27 Aug 2019

I keep wondering, if I opt for the Reason 11 Suite upgrade(I'm choosing to reinterpret it as an update from 9 to 10 w/a couple of extra sequencer updates + a discounted rig bundle), am I then locked into a "Suite upgrade path" in order to retain those included bundle REs upon future updates? I.e- if I chose the regular upgrade on Reason 12

I also wonder, will this "Suite tier" continue in Reason 12 and on; and if so, what are the implications of that? Will RS(Props) be then locked into a certain amount of RE development in order to fill it out each time? Would they sell those REs in the store as they developed them(and then present them again in the suite, like they did this time), or wait until the update? What limitations would that "necessary" workload place on future development of the other aspects of the DAW?

Iapetus 9

27 Aug 2019

I sold off my Studio 1 license when VST came to Reason, so this upgrade is mostly meh in this camp. I also won't need the Suite as I have everything I want from that deal. I guess I was the only one hoping for a proper Reason bridge that's not a bug filled dumpster fire for my older plugins. Meh. One thing I've learned about Reason, and life, is that upgrades can't be all be winners.
38L > 51D every time.

boingy

27 Aug 2019

You guys should take all this angst and put it in a song...

Luxuria

27 Aug 2019

Creativemind wrote:
27 Aug 2019
EnochLight wrote:
27 Aug 2019

Your threshold isn't just very high, it's ridiculously unrealistic. :lol: As of today, if you're on Version 8, paying just $129 USD gets you
Good list but also -
A lot of the stuff I don't need. I print to new track instead of bounce in place. I already got synchronous free with V8. Romplers, rytmik, radical piano, monotone, grain, the 2 new effects, the 3 old mixer effects now as racks, are all unnecessary to me. I have reason 10 lite with Europa so I export wav's if I need the synth. I don't like to use the pitch editor a lot. If the singer I'm working with is off I just have them redo it. The few times I use it, I'll import into lite to tweak slightly. All my midi gear works as it should, just wish Remote was easier to modify. I used to think PDC was crucial to me but I've worked around it by starting all my projects on bar 2 and nudging audio by ear after processing. I still don't use VST's surprisingly. If Reason can't get me a good master, I'll take it to Ozone standalone. Multi lane midi edit isnt what I expected so it kind of was a let down.

I really have a specific list of things I need: punch in, multi audio lane editing, fixing the wonky focus/unfocus functionality to the browser window, browser search speed improvement, hi res GUI that runs off the GPU, midi view improvements in the sequencer (more like the scale FL studio has), and complete dark theme so my retinas don't burn out every time I'd have to switch from sequencer to mixer.

Oh!!! And Combinator2! I would have upgraded if combi2 allowed for the itself to be able to stack inside the insert sections as well as adding more rotors and updating the matrix window inside combinator.

EnochLight

27 Aug 2019

NekujaK wrote:
27 Aug 2019
IMHO, his one Reason DAW-related sentence: "We will continue to listen to your feedback, improving Reason and, above all, focusing on making music." seems like a generic placeholder statement, and doesn't necessarily inspire a lot of confidence.
To each their own, but I certainly didn't lose any confidence from that last sentence, especially as seeing his first sentence in the paragraph was "Does this news mean we’re abandoning Reason as a standalone music production software? Of course not!" I'm not sure how he could have been more clear.

At any rate, people are going to extract what they need out of these statements. Hopefully time will tell for sure, especially over the next 11.x life-cycle and presumably 12 and onwards... :thumbs_up:

DJMaytag

27 Aug 2019

I’m 100% positive that Props is NOT counting on people to upgrade at every update. They’d be FOOLS to put all their development into an update that EVERYONE wants. It makes much more sense to count on only 20-40% (tops) of the user base to upgrade at any given update cycle. You probably have only at most 10-15% of us upgrading every step of the way.

Looking at what you’re getting in R11 makes a LOT more sense if you’re upgrading from R9 or earlier, and this is what I think they’re counting on being very appealing to users who may have fallen out with using Reason.

Much in the same way, I didn’t see the need to upgrade after 6.5.3, but I really missed Malstrom and jumped to R8 (and then barely used it). Had they done then what they’re doing with Reason Rack, I’d have JUMPED at the opportunity to use Malstrom as a VST in Cubase (in the meantime, Cubase had the gall to release a paid update where one of the two biggest upgrades was... their fucking metronome! The other upgrade feature was minor at best, plugin folder/menu management).

I didn’t upgrade again until R9.5, and the VST support has been a game changer for integration with my external hardware in a way that Cubase could NEVER imagine doing. I did upgrade to R10, only because I wanted the latest and greatest, and will do so again with R11 Standard. We’ll see what happens with R11.5 or R12, whichever is the next paid update.

reggie1979

27 Aug 2019

syrokitty wrote:
27 Aug 2019
This rebranding decision is so damn silly. Smh.
Agreed. Now we'll have to say the "stud's" have done it again instead of "props"

reggie1979

27 Aug 2019

@upgrade pricing:

Yeah, I agree that from 8, 11 is a STEAL. But from 10? That's where I say "no thanks"

I skipped 9, it just wasn't enough for me. It's good to have choices.

VariableX

27 Aug 2019

Creativemind wrote:
27 Aug 2019
fretshot7 wrote:
27 Aug 2019

lol - or Rhubarb?
Rhubarb & Custard let fly with their secret weapon. Great cartoon, great tune.
Awesome tune!

• Information