Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
owlymane

26 Aug 2019

I appreciate their on-going work. Compare it to the regular FL Studio and Studio One updates tailored to customers, I feel they still need that Umpf (pun intended)

BRIGGS

26 Aug 2019

miscend wrote:
26 Aug 2019
BRIGGS wrote:
26 Aug 2019
:puf_smile: Guys, do you realize, this could mean a huge flood of rack extensions in the future!?!
How? I don't see Ableton Live users buying new Rack Extensions just to use in the Reason Rack. Maybe if they were cheap like a pint of lager but they're not.
More developers may see this as an opportunity to create new CV based devices. Especially, since the rack is getting more exposure.
r11s

Reasonable man

26 Aug 2019

Not just underwhelmed . Its deflating.... .kinda like it cheapens the software we've invested hundreds/thousands in.
In the DAW market its like bending over and pulling your trousers down . I'd have zero interest in 'Ableton vst' or 'fl studio vst' in Reason and having to learn the workflow of that particular daw in order to understand those vst's in the first place and no way would i have any interest in having to spend hundreds on a new daw in order to aquire that daw's 'vst rack' or whatever in the first palce.
This reeks of non- musician upper management Gordan gekko crap and how is that even worthy of an 'upade' in itself. Does nothing for people who've taken a gamble on reason to use as their primary music production outlet . Dont see or feel an identity with this software currently..i just can't see myself getting used to it. This is the easy/business pen pushing way out ..i cant see anything musically/technologically inovative about it at all.

EnochLight

26 Aug 2019

Luxuria wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Yeah, Reason is now a VST company. The rebranding indicative. Propellerhead = DAW company. Reason Studios = VST company.

Don't be fooled by their lies.
Jesus - that’s a little rough. Calling them liars seems a bit of a stretch. And your logic above makes zero sense, IMHO.
JdA57 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
EnochLight wrote:
26 Aug 2019

Those are mostly people who do music production as a hobby, and/or are on extremely limited budgets. For everyone else (read: professionals, those with looser budgets), I'm willing to wager they see the value or aren't that miffed.
Sorry EnochLight, I read your post. Normally I don't do this since a long time.

Because it seems you know all about: Can you please explain your interesting statement? I'm very interested :D :

"Those are mostly people who do music production as a hobby, and/or are on extremely limited budgets. For everyone else (read: professionals, those with looser budgets), I'm willing to wager they see the value or aren't that miffed."
I thought was pretty clear. Just an opinion. :)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Heigen5

26 Aug 2019

When will all the other DAWs go Rack Extension though...? :geek:

EnochLight

26 Aug 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
26 Aug 2019
:puf_smile: Guys, do you realize, this could mean a huge flood of rack extensions in the future!?!
I’m pretty sure Jiggery Pokery will disagree with that assessment.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

BRIGGS

26 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
26 Aug 2019
BRIGGS wrote:
26 Aug 2019
I’m pretty sure Jiggery Pokery will disagree with that assessment.
Honey badger don't care, he eats friken cobras!!! :puf_smile:

ewww:

Last edited by BRIGGS on 26 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.
r11s

reggie1979

26 Aug 2019

He he, I remember that video.

DJMaytag

26 Aug 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
26 Aug 2019
I'm hoping so, but that said, I haven't been disappointed with what I'm seeing being released. LOTS of cool new utilities out there already, and hopefully more to keep coming!

dvdrtldg

26 Aug 2019

I understand that not every update suits every user, and that I don't have to shell out for Reason 11 if I don't want to

But god damn it, I choose to be personally offended by the fact that this update fails to live up to my expectations. Rather than feeling mildly disappointed and continuing to work happily in 10, I exercise my democratic right to feel insulted, "slapped in the face", and that my loyalty as a customer is being cruelly taken for granted while Mattias and others sit in a big castle on tottering piles of my money and laugh at me while thinking up more ways in which to offend my dignity

Why do I feel all this? Because I'm a big wet fucking baby

DJMaytag

26 Aug 2019

Question: does Reason Rack have the ability to send MIDI out to other VST's in another DAW? That seems like a crucial tool to be able to send MIDI from Player devices.

If so, hopefully that's a sign that VST MIDI out will work inside Reason soon enough!

stratatonic

26 Aug 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
17 Aug 2019
Additionally, I wouldn't want us to only meet feature requests as it'd mean little innovation, surprise or delight.
I'm surprised all right at the innovation here. Not delighted, but definitely surprised.
The SSL mixer FX plug-ins seem more suited to those that will use it in the Rack in another DAW.
Can't even use the Rack in Logic as it is not AU. Supposedly coming by end of 2019 - but I seem to recall the last time this company made a deadline to get something done (10.3)...yeah, that didn't turn out so well... :(

There's really not much here for $129 ($169 CDN) for Reason users except two modulation effects and a handful of workflow enhancements.
Last edited by stratatonic on 26 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

DParris

26 Aug 2019

dvdrtldg wrote:
26 Aug 2019
I understand that not every update suits every user, and that I don't have to shell out for Reason 11 if I don't want to

But god damn it, I choose to be personally offended by the fact that this update fails to live up to my expectations. Rather than feeling mildly disappointed and continuing to work happily in 10, I exercise my democratic right to feel insulted, "slapped in the face", and that my loyalty as a customer is being cruelly taken for granted while Mattias and others sit in a big castle on tottering piles of my money and laugh at me while thinking up more ways in which to offend my dignity

This.

VIVIsect

26 Aug 2019

DJMaytag wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Question: does Reason Rack have the ability to send MIDI out to other VST's in another DAW? That seems like a crucial tool to be able to send MIDI from Player devices.
This is my main question as well. If I can't use my Player devices in Live then I have no interest in the Rack VST.

GothicJJ

26 Aug 2019

Reason 11 seems to push old reason users like me to get a new daw and use reason like a plugin many of us don't need. I don't give a flying toss to get a couple of modulation effects and a bunch of RE's I already paid for. I've been using Reason as my only daw for recording and mixing for 10 years and I needed a renewed native comp and eq, more accurate and updated, a native multiband comp, a new sampler (how much outdated are the old reason samplers), not to mention the possibility to import mp3 and export in 32-bit floating point. And what we get? Curved automations, audio crossfades and other minor features all the other daws already have had for years. The message from the new CEO was clear: we don't care about the old users, we want to please other daw users since Reason is mainly a synth rack than a daw. In fact they currently define Reason as a music production software instead of a digital audio workstation. There's no need to read between the lines to grasp what they mean. Next update will be a sort of Native-like interface (Reason plugin) with a standalone version they will call Reason studio like the new company. Ok, even if the most of Reason users are musicians who autoproduce their projects, c'mon, there was still someone who wholeheartedly aspired to use Reason as a DAW to professionally record, mix and, why not, master other bands as a sound engineer. I foresee a large number of users switching to other daws (studio one and ableton above all) while using Reason as a rack. What a sad decline. And what a major letdown. That's not what the most of us expected. We wanted to use only our DAW, Reason, nothing else. Rant over.

Last Alternative

26 Aug 2019

It’s like if someone got new pets that live in the house eating steak while the old pets were thrown outside eating scraps.
That’s my analogy, being a long time customer over here, excited for an update and getting a few things thrown my way with expected appreciation for it. And I don’t care what anybody says about being a wet baby or whatever else. We have a right to voice our opinions good or bad because last I checked, the form rules didn’t say this is a fascist website and to shut up unless you’re gonna be a happy loyalist. I make positive comments when I am happy and sure I don’t have to (and will not) upgrade but geez like I said, and like everyone, I highly anticipate anything new from Propellerhead and this is a total junk deal for me, considering how advanced other DAWs are in comparison. Like we’re supposed to jump for joy and trade our hard earned cash money for a few scraps? I think NOT haha

So I feel like I’m getting pushed out the window and their idea for a complete modern DAW workaround is... buy a better DAW.

It’s like every since R6 they’ve been teasing us to think it’s going all the way DAW, raking in our money and I feel like the donkey they’re riding and holding a stick dangling a carrot in front of my face so I keep walking — like in the cartoons.

Only a matter of time until Reason gets discontinued like so many other things they’ve abandoned and “Reason Studios” is purely a VST company. Good for Propellerhead looking towards their corporate profits but they are NOT the friendly, fun, giving company they were when I signed up.

RIP Propellerhead
Last edited by Last Alternative on 26 Aug 2019, edited 3 times in total.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Reasonable man

26 Aug 2019

dvdrtldg wrote:
26 Aug 2019

More like an insufferable tit

cognitive

26 Aug 2019

I will say this: I'm enjoying this impending release immensely because no matter what features are or aren't in 11, the butthurt on display in the Facebook Reason Users Group is EPIC. :lol: :lol: :lol:

DJMaytag

26 Aug 2019

cognitive wrote:
26 Aug 2019
the butthurt on display in the Facebook Reason Users Group is EPIC. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wasn't one bit sore about being booted from that group, but I am SOOOOOOO incredibly happy to not be watching that shitstorm brew up over there.

BTW, I got booted for having the audacity of suggesting that someone flaunting their use of R5 was using a crack. If that's boot-worthy, then I want NO part of that group. :)

cognitive

26 Aug 2019

DJMaytag wrote:
26 Aug 2019
cognitive wrote:
26 Aug 2019
the butthurt on display in the Facebook Reason Users Group is EPIC. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wasn't one bit sore about being booted from that group, but I am SOOOOOOO incredibly happy to not be watching that shitstorm brew up over there.

BTW, I got booted for having the audacity of suggesting that someone flaunting their use of R5 was using a crack. If that's boot-worthy, then I want NO part of that group. :)
I remember that. I thought it was an overreaction as well, considering the law of averages and the sketchy seeming questions from the OP about V5.

Mods seem to be on-break or something at the moment and it looks more like 8-chan than a music group.

hurricane
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

I've been telling ya'll for the looooooongest time not to have all your eggs in one basket. If I were the other DAWS I'd be busting out the sales like NOW.

Logic is $199, by the way.

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Last Alternative

26 Aug 2019

hurricane wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Logic is $199, by the way.
If I WERE to buy another DAW it would DEFINITELY be Logic Pro. I’m really thinking about it now but my fear is how to transfer everything from Reason? Will I have to make everything audio files and start over with Logic’s midi instruments and fx? My vocals and guitars are all audio so no big deal but what about all the synths & stuff? I don’t see how there’s any way to transfer my Reason midi files but honestly, if it’s possible I will most likely do it and sell my Reason license. Never thought I would say that but it’s clear after all these years that in the end of disappointing anticipation, Reason is not what I was looking for.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

ast3rix

26 Aug 2019

electrofux wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Good move, i think there wasnt any real arguments against the rack being a VST (well apart from people complaining that development time should have been used for their wishes). Woul have preffered seesion view in Reason but this might work aswell.

Can you give us any information if and how Remote might be part of the Plugin? I assume it is not part of the deal. But do the devices report all the remote items to the host to be automatable?

Whats behind the Settings Tab?
I totally disagree I love the fact they are separating the load of the full daw and allowing us folks that jumped ship to use the rack extensions we know and love. I'm excited for reason again... not the full daw, but the fact that I will be able to have multiple instances of the rack open so I can experiment with other vsts along with the reason rack. I wish they would have offered the vst upgrade separate thou. I really don't care for the full daw anymore. I really do need the rack thou. No more rewire hell!!! I hate you could only have one instance open at a time or had to create these complicated routing schemes to make it work in Ableton. Thank you sooooo much Propellerhead!!! and I will be able to use all those rack extensions I purchased and have been missing again!!!

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

Eprom wrote:
26 Aug 2019
So what's in it for me?
Propellerhead staying in business, so we can see a ver.12

• Information