Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
diminished
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2019

Timmy Crowne wrote:
02 Sep 2019
Raveshaper wrote:
02 Sep 2019
You forgot an option.

d: a blind and deaf hegemony of User 2's ego that gleefully stomps around rejoicing with intoxication over hearing its own bellowing voice, echoing endlessly within a shrinking enclave of increasingly esoteric and fruitless knowledge. User 1 risks this empire of self appointed knighthood and the threat of identity crisis reverberates in the recesses of the regent's mind.
You're right, I stopped short of that one. That would be a much deeper and darker motivation: the desire to intentionally keep parts of Reason arcane and unintuitive, purely to secure one's own place of authority on the subject. In that case, I would analogize User 2 not to a regent, but to a self-appointed high priest: 'Don't ask for progress; only through our teachings can you grow.'

To someone with that perspective, User 1's little feature-request would amount to heresy, and thus would warrant a visceral reaction. I might be naive, but I sincerely hope that's not true of most of us here.

EDIT: 2 more replies and we're at 1000!
You guys, that's a very poetic way to describe a phenomenon that's way too common on the internet: gatekeeping.
Preserving the pecking order and the status quo. We've seen that behavior in regards to Players "It's just too easy to make music this way". You see it everyday in synth forums "Behringer is stealing and devaluing my precious old hardware". So yes, no offense but it is naive to believe that it doesn't happen :)
Here's a fictional user with a fictional train of thoughts: "I'm already invested in DAW X and can do Y and Z. I spent money on it. I don't want other people to be able to do it in Reason natively. That would lower my perceived level in the skill hierarchy and the purchases I made in the past."
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

provinceofnowhere

03 Sep 2019

Quick question: what are the benefits (if any) to beta testing? Do I get R11 free or discounted when it goes live?

diminished
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2019

provinceofnowhere wrote:
03 Sep 2019
Quick question: what are the benefits (if any) to beta testing? Do I get R11 free or discounted when it goes live?
You get a chance to see how it runs on your system and adress bugs specific to your system in a period of time where the developers are very active and chances are high your problems will be solved.
Other users will benefit from your contributions.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

mashers

03 Sep 2019

provinceofnowhere wrote:
03 Sep 2019
No, you just get to try it during the beta phase. You lose access to it once it is actually released, and then you have to pay the same as everyone else who didn't beta test it.

EdGrip

03 Sep 2019

The benefit of beta testing it is you get to beta test it, which might be fun, depending on your point of view. You do not have to beta test it.

Heigen5

03 Sep 2019

Betatesting also makes it possible getting used to the new stuff and... you could also already make new patches with the new "toys".

tobypearce

03 Sep 2019

I do love Reason, am loyal to the platform and have been for many years.

Having had a few more days to reflect on all this, I'm left feeling disappointed for me and the countless others who regard Reason as their home.

Rack as a plugin is a sensible addition, and hopefully we will all benefit from the increased interest in Reason devices. However, this could easily have been released separately. If you strip that out of the consideration - as dedicated Reason-only users will - then Reason 11 offers remarkably little for the upgrader.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Heigen5

03 Sep 2019

tobypearce wrote:
03 Sep 2019

Having had a few more days to reflect on all this, I'm left feeling disappointed for me and the countless others who regard Reason as their home.

Rack as a plugin is a sensible addition, and hopefully we will all benefit from the increased interest in Reason devices. However, this could easily have been released separately. If you strip that out of the consideration - as dedicated Reason-only users will - then Reason 11 offers remarkably little for the upgrader.
If the Props woulda also make a support for the VST3 in this release, we stand-aloners coulda buy FL Studio and also be able to combine two DAWs together.

Yonatan

03 Sep 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
03 Sep 2019
tobypearce wrote:
03 Sep 2019

If the Props woulda also make a support for the VST3 in this release, we stand-aloners coulda buy FL Studio and also be able to combine two DAWs together.
Do FL Studio also allow to be used as a plugin?
Dream would be to have full communication between 2 daws in different combinations.

Heigen5

03 Sep 2019

Yonatan wrote:
03 Sep 2019
Heigen5 wrote:
03 Sep 2019

Dream would be to have full communication between 2 daws in different combinations.
Yeah, that's what I've heard. Before Reason I used Fruity Loops 3 - then in the 2002 bought Reason 2.0
Anyway, FL Studio has come a long way too and is a killer program nowdays. And when you buy it off, you'll get lifetime updates for FREE. I would consider buying it and use it inside Reason - if Reason would support VST3.

Yonatan

03 Sep 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
03 Sep 2019
Yonatan wrote:
03 Sep 2019

Yeah, that's what I've heard. Before Reason I used Fruity Loops 3 - then in the 2002 bought Reason 2.0
Anyway, FL Studio has come a long way too and is a killer program nowdays. And when you buy it off, you'll get lifetime updates for FREE. I would consider buying it and use it inside Reason - if Reason would support VST3.
Sounds like a really cool combo. Future looks bright if things continue opening up for us.

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
03 Sep 2019
You guys, that's a very poetic way to describe a phenomenon that's way too common on the internet: gatekeeping.
Preserving the pecking order and the status quo. We've seen that behavior in regards to Players "It's just too easy to make music this way". You see it everyday in synth forums "Behringer is stealing and devaluing my precious old hardware". So yes, no offense but it is naive to believe that it doesn't happen :)
Here's a fictional user with a fictional train of thoughts: "I'm already invested in DAW X and can do Y and Z. I spent money on it. I don't want other people to be able to do it in Reason natively. That would lower my perceived level in the skill hierarchy and the purchases I made in the past."
That’s so true. Gatekeeping would explain why so many users felt compelled to protest the Players as ‘one-button-kiddie-toys.’ Or why so many users felt the need to state how much they CRINGED when Prop’s marketing became more geared toward hipsters, who ironically were mainstream at the time. Or why in the Music Forum (which is unfortunately the most deserted part of this website; even The Kitchen is more active) most compositions get zero replies. Among those that do get engagement, some users feel compelled to proclaim, “not my cup of tea” simply because the genre is hip-hip or pop.

Gatekeeping would also explain why the Props closed the Propellerhead User Forum; to silence the dissenting voices. To be fair though, a moderator’s job isn’t easy. Perhaps it was too labor-intensive to maintain the forum. But the mods do a fine job here. I can’t imagine the Props would have had difficulty finding folks willing to moderate.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

03 Sep 2019

Secret ReasonTalk preview! Snuck in some updates on the mixer devices, including Dry/Wet for the Dynamics and Compressor and some updated labelling. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Andy
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2019

Mattias you are doing a fantastic job as product manager.

Loque

03 Sep 2019

Muuaahhhh... Great additions!
Reason12, Win10

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
03 Sep 2019
Secret ReasonTalk preview! Snuck in some updates on the mixer devices, including Dry/Wet for the Dynamics and Compressor and some updated labelling. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Yes! That’s a very welcome addition. Thank you.

motuscott

03 Sep 2019

Mattias you are the man!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

makke

03 Sep 2019

Looks good, but give us midi chase plz! :shh:

Yonatan

03 Sep 2019

Wow, splendid with mix knobs! :)

gaclab

03 Sep 2019

Mattias,

Thank you for listening to us! I will be upgrading to R11.
MattiasHG wrote:
03 Sep 2019

Last edited by gaclab on 03 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 4.5 | Mac OSX 10.13.4 w/ 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 12 GB Ram (dinosaur) | Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 | M-Audio Keystation 49es | Akai MPD218 | KRK Rokit 5s

diminished
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
03 Sep 2019

Mattias is that dry/wet knob affecting the gate as well (plz no) or the only the channel strip compressor? Then you might as well move the knob right next to it.

Goriila Texas

03 Sep 2019

Now everybody who doesn’t want us to give feedback can kick 🦵🏿 rocks 😭. We talked about it and less than a week it’s fixed 👍🏽

tiker01

03 Sep 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
03 Sep 2019

Nice! Thanks for sharing! :D

It would be nice to have the output metering on all three of them. Pretty please!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

provinceofnowhere

03 Sep 2019

mashers wrote:
03 Sep 2019
provinceofnowhere wrote:
03 Sep 2019
No, you just get to try it during the beta phase. You lose access to it once it is actually released, and then you have to pay the same as everyone else who didn't beta test it.
Cheers, just curious.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

03 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
03 Sep 2019
Mattias is that dry/wet knob affecting the gate as well (plz no) or the only the channel strip compressor? Then you might as well move the knob right next to it.
Dry/Wet affects both compressor and gate. You can add two instances if you want only dry/wet on comp and then gate (or the other way around, bonus of having devices).

• Information