Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Heigen5

26 Aug 2019

Krell wrote:
26 Aug 2019
No graphical update for users of high resolution monitors so this will be a pass for me.
I wish it will be added the next point update. It doesn't need to be fully scalable, but lets say 7-10 different resolutions would do. Otherwise the scalable would also be nice, but I'm not sure it does any good to CPU and Memory.

Molotovbeatz

26 Aug 2019

Creativemind wrote:
26 Aug 2019

Yes, I noticed that (so simple but so needed for a long time now) but let's hope there's more not shown in the video.
Yeah it was really annoying to do trials and error while adjusting something on the notes sequencer, this was really an easy process for other DAW while playing on midi controller and see in real time what keynotes are you playing on the screen.

But I am glad that Mattias confirmed it's one of the workflow feature that will come in R11. Can't wait to check it out.

rudiarii

26 Aug 2019

Seems to me that Propellerheads/Reason Studios do listen. We can't expect them to implement all our desires though,not in one hit. I'm sure workflow and graphics will come along at some point. I am pleased to have a choice of using Reason as a plug in or not.
They are looking for Beta testers too so you may want to register for that....

https://www.propellerheads.com/beta-test/signup
"dont let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold" Incubus

Creativemind

26 Aug 2019

dusan.cani wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Regarding mute notes - I can't see in the gif that there is possibilty to select multiple notes at once and mute the group. If you have to select every single note, then this is pretty unusable feature... (EDIT: OK it is possible, but the gif should have presented it clearly)

I am dissapointed that a lot of other major sequencer / workflow problems have not been still solved.

Only 6 small sequencer / workflow update after 2 years for 129 euros...It feels to me that there is no more commitment to seriously update and improve Reason sequencer/workflow.
I asked that. You can. You can select them and press M apparently + individually clicking with the mute tool. :)

EDIT - Sorry I replied before I read you already saw you can do it. Yes, for people who want to use Reason as their one and only daw, still quite behind other daw's. If you take the suite out the equation, the "use Reason as a VST" out the equation, Sweeper etc out of the equation, there aren't a lot of functionality features added.

I am still excited about it but bet it doesn't last long. I want things that actually help my workflow inside of Reason and stop me hitting brick walls. Can we Bounce and Bounce in Place to Mono yet? can we consolidate clips in the Bounce in Place yet? and Cloned Clips, my (probably) most wanted workflow / timesaving feature. Already thinking about 11.1 lol!
Last edited by Creativemind on 26 Aug 2019, edited 3 times in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

PhillipOrdonez

26 Aug 2019

I personally love this update. I'm not sure I'll be upgrading to the suite version right now, but yeah, this fills a need I've been having lately and I'm very happy with the news!!!

Thanks Reason studios! ❤️

owlymane

26 Aug 2019

This should have been a Reason 10.5 update instead. Just makes more sense..

Anyways, going back to work.

WillyOD

26 Aug 2019

Thank you for the workflow improvements! Farewell, Props. :ignition:

Will these workflow improvements be added to Reason 10? 10.5final...?
Last edited by WillyOD on 26 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

friday

26 Aug 2019

Thanks for that input!
Last edited by friday on 26 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Eprom

26 Aug 2019

Instead of making Reason better, you now make other DAW's better?

I am a Reason user and have been so since version 1.01. I don't use Abelton, Cubase or Logic.
So what's in it for me? Clickable MIDI notes? Drawing a curve? No thank you. :roll:
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

exxx

26 Aug 2019

stp2015 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
exxx wrote:
26 Aug 2019
This seems to be the last thought to shut down the company.
It really does not seem like that at all to me. All the Ableton kids :D will now consider Reason as an alternative to Reaktor or even Komplete.

I think this is a genius move really from a business perspective. Think of all the Rack Extensions that will now get sold. A bigger user base means the RE market will prosper again :D
I do not think so.

Use an easy-to-read sound that already has a leading position. The reason why the old racks are hung is not an alternative.

Did you separate what was in the existing mixer with a lot of existing dip vsts coming out?

Of course, you can use it, but you can see how slow and frustrating it is by taking a look at what other daws have made that version of the old compressors very easy to use.

Effects in the kong are still not separated. To use the effect of the umf drum, you need to connect a muzzle rack.

Thank you for helping me leave, but I am so sad to think of the love and expectation that I have long used this daw.
Last edited by exxx on 26 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

26 Aug 2019

borracho wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Fantastic update! I'm really happy Reason is taking Rack as VST direction - I'll upgrade to Suite version, I was postponing to buy PHs REs to see what will be included in the next update and I'm more than happy to see almost all their REs there.
It is interesting how MIDI would work with Reason Rack - how it will report its controls to the host, will there be a simple way to automate RE parameters from the host? Another question is will DrRex export copy midi notes to the host? Or how it would work? Same with Players devices - will it be possible to copy midi data to the host?
Also I hope Reason Rack comes to iOS someday...
And something just occurred to me, when Reason gets updated, will the VST be updated too or is the VST Reason gonna be as it is in Reason 11 forever?

JdA57

26 Aug 2019

Because Copy-Protection:

I can read only Online and Computerautorisation.

So, Can I use my Dongles (IgnKey / Balance) for activation as before?

EDIT: Ok, read the whole threads again and found the answere in mid another answere.

YES, IgnKey and Balance will work like before.
Last edited by JdA57 on 26 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

26 Aug 2019

stp2015 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
stp2015 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
I think this is a genius move really from a business perspective. Think of all the Rack Extensions that will now get sold. A bigger user base means the RE market will prosper again :D
Also: Next move will be to sell REs on IOS in Reason Compact. This will not be that interesting to me, but it will make Props (sorry Reason Studios) even more money. Opening their business up in this way will be massive, and Reason will benefit from it. Having Reason and REs as a closed platform really was not good.
If the only thing that changing the name from Propellerhead to Reason Studio's will do is stop people nicknaming the company Props on this forum then it's worth it. If anything it should be Prop as the company is / was called Propellerhead, not Propellerheads. :lol:

stp2015

26 Aug 2019

"Props" is my endearing way of referring to the many hard working people at Propellerhead and the stockholders :D

sonicbyte

26 Aug 2019

Hi @mattias, I feel a bit disappointed like some others here, my main concern is if this change implies that they will move reason as "plugin first" thing and leave the sequencer and other core features of the daw frozen to death (I'm aware of the new updates for the sequencer), but it will reason be always a DAW first in importance?

I don't want another daw to "fix" Reason flaws in the sequencer, I want to use Reason as my main and only Daw... Hope that doesn't have to change.

Creativemind

26 Aug 2019

WillyOD wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Thank you for the workflow improvements! Farewell, Props. :ignition:

Will these workflow improvements be added to Reason 10? 10.5final...?
I can answer that. No it's Reason 11 lol! you upgrade to Reason 11 to get Reason 11 features lol!

guitfnky

26 Aug 2019

just thought it would be useful to show how little core users* are getting with Reason 11...

core users get these new features in Reason 11:

5 new devices (just 2 brand new—the other three are already in Reason, just not as rack devices)

curved automation, cross fading, zoom improvements, MIDI note muting, draw multiple notes, and key highlighting in piano roll

am I missing something?

*I’m defining ‘core users’ as those of us who use Reason as our only DAW, and don’t want to run Reason within another DAW—I’m also not counting anything in Reason Suite, since none of that is new content; it’s merely a new way to bundle/sell existing devices.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Creativemind

26 Aug 2019

stp2015 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
"Props" is my endearing way of referring to the many hard working people at Propellerhead and the stockholders :D
OK. That's nice I suppose. :D

dusan.cani

26 Aug 2019

artmessiah wrote:
26 Aug 2019
I barely post here, but I have to admit I'm thoroughly disappointed with this update. It's as if PH/RS have basically decided to screw looooooong time Reason users (since Reason 1.0 for me) in favor of users of other DAWs with a "Reason Rack" VST. Not to mention if you remove the Hype - dedicated reason only users barely get anything. No free major instrument (we have to pay for the new Scenic synth - which is fine, but still). There's no major overhaul of the Sequencer, something ALL reason users have been begging for for years, and for the few upgrades to the workflow we still have to pay a full on upgrade price for WHAT exactly? The half rack SSL's are cool, but not that critical. Some like Reason and Reason alone and don't need or want a VST version of the rack to use in ANOTHER DAW. I understand the commercial strategy behind this move and I understand the need to grow the "Reason" customer base, but I feel this will just push people away from using Reason as a DAW only. Ok, rant over
Totally agree with you...

I always thought that the primary vision of the company is the Reason as the fully featured unique system for the music production as a whole. I thought they will put effort to develop and improve this unique product to be better and better and more and more sophisticated tool for music production - regular major instrument AND WORKFLOW improvements based on user feedback.

But as we can see with R11 announcement, there will be no major and serious sequencer/workflow revamp . The company shifts towards business direction where only purpose is to make profit as much as possible without passionately putting efforts into developing, improving and bringing new ideas to the Reason desktop as independent music production ecosystem.

antic604

26 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019
am I missing something?
Not that I'm aware of.

dezma

26 Aug 2019

sonicbyte wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Hi @mattias, I feel a bit disappointed like some others here, my main concern is if this change implies that they will move reason as "plugin first" thing and leave the sequencer and other core features of the daw frozen to death (I'm aware of the new updates for the sequencer), but it will reason be always a DAW first in importance?

I don't want another daw to "fix" Reason flaws in the sequencer, I want to use Reason as my main and only Daw... Hope that doesn't have to change.
Well obviously they put 90% of the manpower on the rewire replacement as the rack VST, so for me the direction is pretty clear. The sequencer tweaks feels like a few quickfixes to be able to say to the community: see we're working on those workflow improvements.

I waited long enough being naïve Reason would eventually be on par with modern DAW's. Time for me to get up to speed with what other DAW's look like today.

VariableX

26 Aug 2019

antic604 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019
am I missing something?
Not that I'm aware of.
Wow, all i can think is that we vote with our walletsOr hope they make a big mistake in there shop again and we all get it super cheap 😂😂

PitW.

26 Aug 2019

I have a question about the new versions:

In the "Reason 11 Suite" version, there are some rack extensions mentioned which I already have with my version 10.x
(Radical Keys, Drum Sequencer).

If I decide to upgrade to Reason 11 "only" - do I lose access to these extensions?

artmessiah

26 Aug 2019

dusan.cani wrote:
26 Aug 2019
I always thought that the primary vision of the company is the Reason as the fully featured unique system for the music production as a whole. I thought they will put effort to develop and improve this unique product to be better and better and more and more sophisticated tool for music production - regular major instrument AND WORKFLOW improvements based on user feedback.
Exactly. I know some are excited about the Rack VST and while I think it's great I wish much more was added specifically for Reason only users.

• Information