Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
boingy

26 Aug 2019

WillyOD wrote:
26 Aug 2019
@MattiasHG:

Will the workflow improvements be backported to Reason 10?

Shouldn't be too hard to do code-wise, and would be a nice little thank you to those sticking with 10...
Of course they won't be back ported. They want us to buy the new version!

LittleBoy

26 Aug 2019

For users of other DAWS, it is an amazing update. For me and for those of us who use Reason as our main DAW, it's a ridiculous update. Good luck, Propellerhead... sorry, Reason Studios.

First the users, and then the plugin, please.

fullforce

26 Aug 2019

Jagwah wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Hello :mrgreen:
Hey my brutha from anotha mutha!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

fullforce

26 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
26 Aug 2019
WillyOD wrote:
26 Aug 2019
@MattiasHG:

Shouldn't be too hard to do code-wise, and would be a nice little thank you to those sticking with 10...
Just imagine that whenever a software company released a new version, and they had to "backport" (LOL) everything to the version before. How much drugs have you been using anyway?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

123repeater

26 Aug 2019

I'm kinda relieved I don't have to buy this as I'm in the process of selling some gear to fund a new interface that will be coming with a bunch of its own plugins anyways.

The only must have for me is the crossfade (though I like the other sequencer upgrades).

I like that this might get more people into the system. To be honest now that Reason 10 is complete I'm really satisfied. I was a little on the fence about 10 but the final additions of the new rhythmik/monobass actually ended up being really useful to me.

Wish I could get the sequenecer updates for 20 bucks or something but I'll be happy to wait til reason 12. I think at this point the only thing holding me back is my ideas not the software.

Hard to judge Reason 11 til the updates trickle out and by then it'll be reason 12 and a whole new batch of features.

The main reason I like new instruments is just for the presets. I think the existing Europa/Grain/Thor/all the rest still have about everything you could ever need it must be hard to make new devices always that offer anything new.

Reasonable man

26 Aug 2019

images.jpg
images.jpg (7.47 KiB) Viewed 8150 times

Catblack

26 Aug 2019

The big question I have is if the upgrade or the upgrade to Suite is going to be included in the Rewards program? Mattias, if you can answer that one I'd be very grateful.
Last edited by Catblack on 26 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

Reason’s best feature IMO is its capacity for cross-modulation. Being able to split a CV signal 16 ways and send it to multiple instrument tracks is extremely powerful.

Will multiple instances of Reason Rack have any way to communicate CV or MIDI data with each other or the host DAW?

Or will each instance be sandboxed? (-_-)

(If not, Lectric Panda if you’re reading this please port Kompulsion to MIDI-VST! It seems like Reason may just not be able to keep up anymore so Bitwig’s modern sequencer & modulation + Kompulsion would let me die happy!)

friday

26 Aug 2019

friday wrote:
26 Aug 2019
"Sweeper includes oversampled versions of the filters from Europa so it's a great go-to filter."

Does that mean, that the Europa filters are oversampled or only in sweeper?
Anybody has more information on this?

reggie1979

26 Aug 2019

LittleBoy wrote:
26 Aug 2019
For users of other DAWS, it is an amazing update. For me and for those of us who use Reason as our main DAW, it's a ridiculous update. Good luck, Propellerhead... sorry, Reason Studios.

First the users, and then the plugin, please.
First thing that popped into my head. You're admitting that other hosts are more desirable. Why not just make yours unbeatable?

madmacman

26 Aug 2019

WillyOD wrote:
26 Aug 2019
@MattiasHG:

And now let's repeat 100 times:

The - company - does - owe - you - NOTHING!

Luxuria

26 Aug 2019

halfnhalf wrote:
26 Aug 2019
One last thing... I feel like this is the business equivalent of seeing your ex with a new guy and being happy that she's happy.

I feel like this is PH putting the musician and the music first and I think it's commendable. I don't feel like this is them raising the white flag and surrendering.

This is a good thing.
Lol. In my opinion, everyone that is excited about this update is accepting Phead's decision to clock out of the DAW business.

Version 11 is a transition period. There probably won't be a version 12. Phead's actions are leading us to believe they are getting into the same market as Native Instruments.

The small workflow improvements were sprinkled in as an attempt to not upset us Reason exclusive users down too hard and hope we'd still support their decision by buying an upgrade. Some even said they will upgrade solely to support the company which I see as sheepish.

This feels more like cuckhold rather then seeing an ex who's happy with a new bf.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

This upgrade might not be super important to me personally, but objectively I think this is pretty good upgrade.
I'll probably upgrade even though I don't really "need" it. It's fun to be up to date. It's only money. Who gives a shit?
Sometimes the seemingly smaller things can really make a difference. For example, for me the "favorites list" option has been one of the best features they've added lately.

The things that interest me in this upgrade:

Master Bus Compressor as a device. Might not be a big deal for everyone, but I really like this new feature. Love this compressor.
Sweeper Modulation Effect. New devices are always fun.
Quartet Chorus Ensemble
Curved automation
Octave shortcut. This is one of those seemingly small updates, but for me I'll be using this all the time.
Key visualization
Crossfades

diminished
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

I just hope our opinions, thoughts and complaints don't go unnoticed, or worse, will be ignored.

The consensus on why this one is a "nay" for many of us is pretty telling.

That's all. Good bye, thread.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

LittleBoy

26 Aug 2019

If from now on, 80% of Reason Studios' income comes from the plugin (something very possible), will they continue to devote resources to the DAW? I do not think so.

madmacman

26 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
26 Aug 2019
I just hope our opinions, thoughts and complaints don't go unnoticed, or worse, will be ignored.

No, Reasontalk is an echo chamber! In other forums I can read way more excitement regarding Reason Rack Plugin. Especially from people who jumped ship a long time ago... me included. I moved to Studio One some months ago as my main DAW. I think it's time to return...

Heigen5

26 Aug 2019

Anyway, f**k Reason 11, I'm ready for the Reason 12 already...! :roll: :mrgreen:

Just kiddin, LOL - well I wish that track freeze, midi chace and combinator 2 and high resolution are arriving in some of the point updates. These seem to be up of the interests the most.

LittleBoy

26 Aug 2019

madmacman wrote:
26 Aug 2019
diminished wrote:
26 Aug 2019

No, Reasontalk is an echo chamber! In other forums I can read way more excitement regarding Reason Rack Plugin. Especially from people who jumped ship a long time ago... me included. I moved to Studio One some months ago as my main DAW. I think it's time to return...
You are giving us the reason. This update is good for you because you are no longer a user of Reason, but what does it give us to those who only use Reason?

lowpryo

26 Aug 2019

as a business move, this is what makes sense. this strategy will grow their userbase and marketshare more than any other update has, even if it means less features for the loyal core users. the reaction from every other music forum I've visited has been filled with "looks like I'm finally buying/going back to Reason!". it will be a huge win for them. and as someone who switched from Reason to Ableton, I am so excited to dust off my old rack favorites, within an interface and workflow I vastly prefer.

i'm not saying any criticism is unjustified. of course it's sad to be a core Reason user now, regardless of what the marketing has to say. this is taking resources away from improving what you love. clip fades and curved automation are long-awaited, but these workflow features are always the footnotes below the main course in every major update. and this time, that main course isn't for you. but I think overall this will make 'Reason Studios' more relevant than ever.

EnochLight

26 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019
perhaps 'mostly' is accurate, but I can speak for my part, and I'm neither a hobbyist, nor do I have a limited budget. I just prefer Reason as a DAW, and that's not the focus of this version--I think that's a fair place to land up, considering it is a DAW.

I don't want to have to learn an entirely new DAW just to get the most out of the new version.

that said, I'm no doomsayer either. I find the direction concerning, but I certainly don't think it means Reason Studios (geez, that's weird to type :lol:) is abandoning the DAW, or that somehow it means the downfall of the company (those predictions have always struck me as incredibly weird).
I hear you. I actually own another DAW (Studio One 4.5), but still prefer to work inside Reason. Being able to run Reason VST as an actual plugin inside of Studio One won't change that, so for me - Reason VST is sort of useless.

That said, I'm still not too concerned. Reason as a core DAW will still be the focus, and honestly - there's not much else that would need to happen in Reason VST plugin aside from features that would apply to the core DAW anyway, such as a resizable GUI/UX and/or support for 4K/high dpi screens, new devices, etc.

I still think this was a good move for Propellerhead (and yeah, the rebranding is going to take a while for me to get used to as well) :lol: as well as all of their users. More revenue means more life to the company, and at the end of the day that's what keeps giving us Reason updates.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

26 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
26 Aug 2019
WillyOD wrote:
26 Aug 2019
@MattiasHG:

But then 10 would be 11, right? Twice the development and testing as well, which would mean they'd have to charge for it and we'd have to wait longer for both - and at that point why not just create a new version as per normal?
Selig Audio, LLC

rcbuse
RE Developer

26 Aug 2019

Zac wrote:
26 Aug 2019
From what I can tell if I primarily switch to using Reason in another DAW, I won't really miss much by downgrading to Intro??
You will loose quite a bit of the built-in devices.

https://help.propellerheads.com/hc/en-u ... n-10-Lite-

ljekio

26 Aug 2019

madmacman wrote:
26 Aug 2019

Its answer. Many people was exited when use other daws long ago and dream about reason's vst. For reason users reason's vsti is empty silence.

BTW i remember many years ago reason have overdub/replace note switcher for midi record. Why they throwed away it?
2019-08-26_20-51-29.jpg
2019-08-26_20-51-29.jpg (4.35 KiB) Viewed 7824 times
it's not even talking about long-standing petitions about stacking takes of midi clips in the loop records.
Last edited by ljekio on 26 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

LittleBoy

26 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
26 Aug 2019
guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019
perhaps 'mostly' is accurate, but I can speak for my part, and I'm neither a hobbyist, nor do I have a limited budget. I just prefer Reason as a DAW, and that's not the focus of this version--I think that's a fair place to land up, considering it is a DAW.

I don't want to have to learn an entirely new DAW just to get the most out of the new version.

that said, I'm no doomsayer either. I find the direction concerning, but I certainly don't think it means Reason Studios (geez, that's weird to type :lol:) is abandoning the DAW, or that somehow it means the downfall of the company (those predictions have always struck me as incredibly weird).
I hear you. I actually own another DAW (Studio One 4.5), but still prefer to work inside Reason. Being able to run Reason VST as an actual plugin inside of Studio One won't change that, so for me - Reason VST is sort of useless.

That said, I'm still not too concerned. Reason as a core DAW will still be the focus, and honestly - there's not much else that would need to happen in Reason VST plugin aside from features that would apply to the core DAW anyway, such as a resizable GUI/UX and/or support for 4K/high dpi screens, new devices, etc.

I still think this was a good move for Propellerhead (and yeah, the rebranding is going to take a while for me to get used to as well) :lol: as well as all of their users. More revenue means more life to the company, and at the end of the day that's what keeps giving us Reason updates.
More life to the company, not to the DAW.

lowpryo

26 Aug 2019

selig wrote:
26 Aug 2019
boingy wrote:
26 Aug 2019

But then 10 would be 11, right? Twice the development and testing as well, which would mean they'd have to charge for it and we'd have to wait longer for both - and at that point why not just create a new version as per normal?
fancy seeing you here because I am so excited to bring Leveler and DeEsser into Ableton!!

• Information