Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Wav-E

26 Aug 2019

Before writing something about new upgrade, i will wait a bit more.
I have Reason 10.4 and i am satisfied.
Maybe if someday comes a new plugin/tool for mastering (because i use VSTs for mastering my tracks) i will 100% upgrade without thinking 😊👍
I use only Reason (main and only DAW) and the VSTs that i use, are working great with reason 10.4.
With this upgrade also you can make music easier (with improved methods) but because of my habit, i prefer to use my old methods for making music. So i will wait to see what comes next 😉

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

26 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
26 Aug 2019
4.0 was literally just 1 instrument: Thor (and an arp). Again, during these first 4 versions, we saw very little workflow enhancements.
Well, not withstanding the generally valid point that most Reason upgrades don't actually ever contain much if you think about it, to be fair to Reason 4, it also had the nearly excellent ReGroove and, er... an entirely new sequencer. I think that one is about as far from "very little workflow enhancements" as one can get. Unless you're implying it introduced workflow degradations of its own :puf_wink:

miscend

26 Aug 2019

I'll copy paste a comment from Youtube with some popular requests still missing, just in case the person doesn't have an account here.

1. No track freeze.
2. No video integration.
3. No "proper" dark mode.
4. No ability to group/hide tracks/channels. In other words, track folders.
5. No 4K.
6. No GUI refinements.
7. No track markers.
8. No ability to type in desired parameter values in the mixer.
9. No recallable snapshots of mixer states.
10. No native plug-in manager.
11. No native multiband compressor.
12. No upgrades to the native samplers (NN-XT, NN-19).

dusan.cani

26 Aug 2019

Ahornberg wrote:
26 Aug 2019

1) Is it possible to have VSTs inside of the Reason Rack plugin?
Actually when using Reason in Rewire mode it is not possible to run VSTs inside the rack.
No

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

26 Aug 2019

There are some things not noted on the What's New page, so in the interest of clarity here's a preview of the not-yet-published update notes for Reason 11. It's not published yet as we're still in beta:

Reason Rack Plugin
  • Reason 11 comes with Reason Rack Plugin, a plugin version of Reason's rack with all the devices included for use in any DAW. Fully compatible with your Rack Extensions and patch compatible with all devices and Combinators.
Devices
  • Sweeper Modulation Effect, an advanced phaser/flanger/filter with extensive modulation options for both classic and crazy modulation.
  • Quartet Chorus Ensemble, four flavors of chorus and ensemble effects from bread-and-butter widening to experimental effects.
  • Master Bus Compressor, the compressor from Reason's mixer available as a rack device. Perfect for a drum bus.
  • Channel Dynamics, the dynamics section from Reason's mixer. Add modeled compression, gating or expansion to any sound—try it in a Combinator.
  • Channel EQ, the EQ section from Reason's mixer. Combine with the Channel Dynamics for a complete channel strip you can use anywhere in your signal chain.
Workflow and technical improvements
  • Curved automation, simply drag the line between two automation points up or down to curve the line.
  • Crossfades, overlap two audio clips and either choose Crossfade from the context menu or press the X key to crossfade. Drag the crossfade to adjust.
  • Improved zoom, you can now drag the sequencer track dividers to adjust the vertical size of the track. Tracks can have individual sizes and the Zoom to Selection function can now zoom both horizontally and vertically.
  • Mute MIDI notes, use the Mute Tool or press M to mute selected MIDI notes.
  • New Pencil Tool mode, use the new multi-note Pencil to quickly draw a series of notes at the same resolution as your snap value. You can quickly toggle between the two modes by pressing Ctrl (Win) or Option (Mac) when using the Pencil tool.
  • Absolute Snap, a new setting in the inspector that always snaps what you're moving to the grid.
  • Key visualization, in Edit Mode you will now see both played and selected MIDI notes in the piano roll to easier see what's going on.
  • Octave shortcut, using cmd+shift+up/down (Mac) or ctrl+shift+up/down (Win) to quickly move selected MIDI notes up or down in octave increments.
  • Draw automation point at same level, hold Shift while drawing a new automation point to place it on the existing automation line
  • Bug fixes (to be detailed)

boingy

26 Aug 2019

sdst wrote:
26 Aug 2019
so i can use the Reason Rack vst inside the Reason Rack vst inside the Reason Rack vst
can't wait to try. :)
No, because Reason rack is VST3 and Reason only supports VST2!

Instead of adding VST3 support to Reason they've added, erm, Reason support to VST3.

KarmaFunkarma

26 Aug 2019

Could not find the answer to this so hopefully not being redundant here. Is the new Reason Rack Plugin a VSTi (processes midi data sent to it), a VST effect (processes audio sent to it) or both?

Thanks

Heigen5

26 Aug 2019

The octave up/down? Well this is a very oftenly needed task to be done tbh. Cool beans! :)

Creativemind

26 Aug 2019

Heater wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Just checking. So still no track freeze?
Lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

WongoTheSane

26 Aug 2019

KarmaFunkarma wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Could not find the answer to this so hopefully not being redundant here. Is the new Reason Rack Plugin a VSTi (processes midi data sent to it), a VST effect (processes audio sent to it) or both?

Thanks
Both.

friday

26 Aug 2019

"Sweeper includes oversampled versions of the filters from Europa so it's a great go-to filter."

Does that mean, that the Europa filters are oversampled or only in sweeper?
Last edited by friday on 26 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

ReasonTalk

26 Aug 2019

Hey ReasonTalkers!

Everybody is entitled to their opinions. Please keep opinions regarding Reason 11 to this thread for now.

Some of you may think you are the only ones who have had your topic merged, because we are very on top of this ;) but trust that if we didn't, the forum would be a mess and very hard to follow. "In which opinion thread did I make that very good point?" Next thing you know everybody is copy and pasting their own points into numerous threads because they can't follow what they themselves posted and where they posted it.

This happens with every big announcement. We appreciate your cooperation. We appreciate your excitement and criticisms. Thank you.

Kalm

26 Aug 2019

Ok, I had enough time to read practically 6 notes of comments on both sides.
Here's my take. . .

I'm on fences people

A) I use to be a purpose where each upgrade meant SOMETHING for me in one way or another. It still does honestly at a $130 price tag and I can upgrade from any version. This upgrade path vs. the full payout price for Live and their updates cost $$$. There's no way I would invest in Live at this month unless I was super confident I would produce mainly inside of it. But graphically its unappealing.

B) I can use Reason inside of Studio One. This does a lot for me actually. I produce everything in Reason, and mix down in Studio One. I love this work flow as I can keep the two separated from each other and work in the correct mindset for each. Second I produce and engineer other people. I actually ran into the issue of "crap I need another kick" or "you know a piano thingy here would sound gooder right here." This literally answers my problem right here. Instead of going back to the reason file, making and blending it to the song, just create in S1 -- bloop Transform audio and yep.

C) This decision has seriously made me contemplate whether or not I want to just produce in S1 using their tools with Reason sounds and effects. this can only happen if CPU resources are going to be strong enough to handle the load or there'' be a lot of freeze tracking / exporting happening. Then it'll just be a big session. I don't use S1 instruments or stuff. I like using NI and other 3rd party instruments IN REASON.
c) I don't think I could ever get used to the plugin view and organizing of producing a track any more after being spoiled by Reason's workflow.

D) YES THEY ANSWERED MY PRAYER. The SSL stuff as a rack. FINALLY. I can't really use the mixer section cause for some Reason it eats up way more CPU than it should. So my workflow always involved using other EQ's. Second its honestly easier to see it in the Rack section if I have other stuff there. I love the onboard compressor. The best side chain I have EVER used. But now I actually have a decent EQ & Compressor for the rack. Plus I can route the master bus compressor where I want it and don't have to render drums through the master buss any longer. Even on a SSL Duality console, that joint was annoying . . .
d) If you can do SSL though, What's stopping you from doing others??

E) Reason should be very willing about making a mastering page like Studio One. They have the tools to do it. Between their Link protocol and new user base, give people a final place to put their album together and market your platform as an independent musicians dream station. It doesn't have to be super in depth, just enough to get peoples beats and small projects to streaming platforms and awareness of what's going on in their track.

I got more but lets debate this!
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

pongasoft
RE Developer

26 Aug 2019

I guess I am not 100% sure where I stand on the change, so here is a few points:

* I think it is a great idea to offer the rack as a plugin because if you are unhappy with the sequencer then you can use something else while still using all the plugins you are used to love and also the wiring which does not exist in other DAWs
* I think it will also clearly show the low rez quality when it is going to be side by side with other plugins which hopefully will help in pushing this feature request up :)
* As a developer it is interesting because I can now write a RE and it can be used in other DAWs which was not possible without rewriting it from scratch. The fact that PH (or RS now?) is handling the DRM, hosting, etc.. is a big plus otherwise you have to do it yourself (the flip side being they take a cut).

Yan

guitfnky

26 Aug 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Devices
  • Sweeper Modulation Effect, an advanced phaser/flanger/filter with extensive modulation options for both classic and crazy modulation.
  • Quartet Chorus Ensemble
  • Master Bus Compressor
  • Channel Dynamics
  • Channel EQ
Workflow and technical improvements
  • Curved automation
  • Crossfades
  • Improved zoom
  • Mute MIDI notes
  • New Pencil Tool mode (multi-note Pencil)
  • Absolute Snap
  • Key visualization
  • Octave shortcut
  • Draw automation...on the existing automation line
  • Bug fixes (to be detailed)
this is all you get if you’re not using v11 inside another DAW. I don’t expect you to respond, but I hope you can at least appreciate how many of us feel this is an underwhelming amount of content/improvements for those of us who like using Reason as a DAW.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

miscend

26 Aug 2019

Steedus wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Also, so long Propellerhead - hello Reason Studios.
I will never get used to the rebranding. The old Reason logo was so cool. Propellerhead was a great name. Literally overnight the product has gone from "Propellerhead's Reason" to "Reason Studios Reason". It's doesn't quite flow off the tongue as well.

Ahornberg

26 Aug 2019

dusan.cani wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Ahornberg wrote:
26 Aug 2019

1) Is it possible to have VSTs inside of the Reason Rack plugin?
Actually when using Reason in Rewire mode it is not possible to run VSTs inside the rack.
No
How can you be sure?

dusan.cani

26 Aug 2019

It's stated in their FAQ

Ahornberg

26 Aug 2019

miscend wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Steedus wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Also, so long Propellerhead - hello Reason Studios.
I will never get used to the rebranding. The old Reason logo was so cool. Propellerhead was a great name. Literally overnight the product has gone from "Propellerhead's Reason" to "Reason Studios Reason". It's doesn't quite flow off the tongue as well.
Some guys went on that:

Creativemind

26 Aug 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
The octave up/down? Well this is a very oftenly needed task to be done tbh. Cool beans! :)
Yes, need that all the time but they missed off also being able to send notes to the beginning of a clip also.

I often am playing something into the sequencer (midi) and then the first bash has often a few mistakes (as I'm not a keyboard / piano player as such) and then I will play it again (whilst still recording) and then I might be more accurate but with maybe 2 or 3 mistakes then usually the 3rd attempt (while still recording) is the best one. I then stop recording, double click the clip to go to the midi editor, I box 'round the first 2 parts and delete them, then I ctrl / A to highlight all the existing notes (which is just the 3rd attempt notes now), ctrl K to Kwantize (Quantize, sorry couldn't resist) and then I want to send those notes to the beginning of the clip. Something using the left arrow on my QWERTY keyboard would suffice. Need it all the time.
Last edited by Creativemind on 26 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

miscend

26 Aug 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
26 Aug 2019

[*]Master Bus Compressor[/b], the compressor from Reason's mixer available as a rack device. Perfect for a drum bus.
[*]Channel Dynamics[/b], the dynamics section from Reason's mixer. Add modeled compression, gating or expansion to any sound—try it in a Combinator.
[*]Channel EQ[/b], the EQ section from Reason's mixer. Combine with the Channel Dynamics for a complete channel strip you can use anywhere in your signal chain.[/list]
Are the GUIs for the channel strips finalised? They look like temporary placeholder GUIs.

VIVIsect

26 Aug 2019

Sorry if this has been answered, but will we be able to use Reason's Player devices to control plugins in other DAWs? For example, say I want to use Scales and Chords to control Kontakt in Ableton Live.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

26 Aug 2019

miscend wrote:
26 Aug 2019
MattiasHG wrote:
26 Aug 2019

[*]Master Bus Compressor[/b], the compressor from Reason's mixer available as a rack device. Perfect for a drum bus.
[*]Channel Dynamics[/b], the dynamics section from Reason's mixer. Add modeled compression, gating or expansion to any sound—try it in a Combinator.
[*]Channel EQ[/b], the EQ section from Reason's mixer. Combine with the Channel Dynamics for a complete channel strip you can use anywhere in your signal chain.[/list]
Are the GUIs for the channel strips finalised? They look like temporary placeholder GUIs.
They are indeed placeholder GUIs, we're currently doing the final polish on the real deal.

diminished
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

Ahornberg wrote:
26 Aug 2019
miscend wrote:
26 Aug 2019

Some guys went on that:
The symbol of resistance. Vive la révolution!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

miscend

26 Aug 2019

Ahornberg wrote:
26 Aug 2019
miscend wrote:
26 Aug 2019

Some guys went on that:
Hopefully it will be straightforward to do a cover up, the new one is mostly black.

• Information