Really stupid question about recording automation for audio tracks

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
reggie1979

20 Aug 2019

I should know this :roll:

But how do you record automation on an audio track w/o erasing the recorded part?

EDIT, this is VST related, other automating is easy.
Last edited by reggie1979 on 20 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

reggie1979

20 Aug 2019

I tried that manual everyone is so enamored with but a search turns up a bunch of useless unrelated info.

It's simple with instruments, it doesn't record over the midi note stuff.

diminished
Competition Winner

20 Aug 2019

Sorry but what exactly do you want to automate on an audio track?
There are 5 parameters to automate: volume, panning, mute, solo and if you want to count it, bypass inserts.
If it's something else, the automation is for a different device.
Alt-click on the thingy you want to automate.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

reggie1979

20 Aug 2019

Ok, something I noticed. When you can do a proper automation lane then this becomes a non-issue. But for some reason when having to do the automation through the programmer (like my recent Amplitube problem) you get the automation lane "attached" (for lack of a better term) to the audio track and that is where I'm having the difficulty.

Hopefully someone will chime in and try to help a confused soul out.

reggie1979

20 Aug 2019

Sorry I should have pointed out that I am strictly talking about VSTs, maybe the mods could move this?

selig
RE Developer

20 Aug 2019

You need to "un-arm" the audio record for the channel - simply click on the rec button next to the automation button to do so. Yes, this is clunky, using the same transport record button for both functions. This is no how the physical SSL (or other DAWs) operate, so I'm hoping they will address this as it's a common issue for many users.
Selig Audio, LLC

reggie1979

20 Aug 2019

selig wrote:
20 Aug 2019
You need to "un-arm" the audio record for the channel - simply click on the rec button next to the automation button to do so. Yes, this is clunky, using the same transport record button for both functions. This is no how the physical SSL (or other DAWs) operate, so I'm hoping they will address this as it's a common issue for many users.
Thank you!

• Information