another pointless rehash of vague complaints and platitudes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kuhliloach

20 Aug 2019

If it works and can use your plug-ins it's a "pro-DAW". Reason became a pro-DAW when it added audio years ago and even more so with VST support. And, as a professional, the feature that makes something "pro" for me is an intuitive and clean User Interface. Beyond that it just has to work reliably, making most of the leading DAWs quite professional. For these reasons the most professional DAW of all time is GarageBand. The highest level of refinement in a DAW is when a musician with no previous skills can easily record and mix their music.

boingy

20 Aug 2019

Can't be bothered to stick to your daft posting rules. You can look in the several other threads and polls to see the sort of stuff we are talking about.

Track folders, track freeze, chord track, marker track, arranger track, tempo track, full VST support (sidechaining, MIDI, VST3), MIDI controller support that actually works, a GUI you can read, dozens of midi editing operations (yes, too many to list), having the "F8 window" functionality with the rest of the functionality rather than making it look like a hanger-on from the last millennium, sensible use of screen real estate, auto-save/auto-backup, macros, ReWire master mode, use VSTs in ReWire mode, drag and drop into and out of the program, basic volume/pan in the sequencer pane, (yeah, you've all stopped reading by now lol) :roll:

guitfnky

20 Aug 2019

Creativemind wrote:
20 Aug 2019
Djstarski wrote:
20 Aug 2019

This will mean the hardware version of an SSL is not a Pro mixing console . It too only has 4 bands and one filter slope .
See what you're saying but you can't eq lower than (I think) 40hz on the main mixer and has only one roll off slope in 2019?
to take it a step further than Selig did, every plugin (or in this case, channel strip) has limitations. and to his exact point, that’s why they provide the flexibility to use other devices to fill in those gaps.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

antic604

20 Aug 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
20 Aug 2019
Interesting that bitwig also doesn't have midi chase though.
Well, Live only got it last year when v10 was released and Bitwig got only to v3 last month :)

reggie1979

20 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
20 Aug 2019
Can't be bothered to stick to your daft posting rules. You can look in the several other threads and polls to see the sort of stuff we are talking about.

Track folders, track freeze, chord track, marker track, arranger track, tempo track, full VST support (sidechaining, MIDI, VST3), MIDI controller support that actually works, a GUI you can read, dozens of midi editing operations (yes, too many to list), having the "F8 window" functionality with the rest of the functionality rather than making it look like a hanger-on from the last millennium, sensible use of screen real estate, auto-save/auto-backup, macros, ReWire master mode, use VSTs in ReWire mode, drag and drop into and out of the program, basic volume/pan in the sequencer pane, (yeah, you've all stopped reading by now lol) :roll:

I didn't stop reading. Those are pretty much all things that I'd enjoy having. Not sure you need them to be "pro" though.

reggie1979

20 Aug 2019

Creativemind wrote:
20 Aug 2019
Heigen5 wrote:
20 Aug 2019
Reason is 'Pro' already now, just like the others major DAWs are. When people say 'PRO' - I think about the sound and not the functions and in these terms (soundwise) it's as good as any other DAW is.
Well PRO means professional which applies to the daw as a whole, sound and architecture to my thinking.
This is the one and only time I'll ever be caught saying this:

A good carpenter doesn't blame his tools for not getting good results.

Now excuse me, I have to go throw up after spitting out such a cliche (though it's true this one time only)

DJMaytag

20 Aug 2019

Plugin organization. I really hate that everything is organized by developer, which makes it a PITA to find a specific type of plugin/player/RE/device/etc.

diminished
Competition Winner

20 Aug 2019

However, if the only available hammer in his toolkit is made of plastic, he might have to look in a store for a real one.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

chaosroyale

20 Aug 2019

Well, this turned into just another pointless thread of the same old same old. Mods, can you delete it? There's nothing here that hasn't been said a million times before in other threads.

reggie1979

20 Aug 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
20 Aug 2019
Well, this turned into just another pointless thread of the same old same old. Mods, can you delete it? There's nothing here that hasn't been said a million times before in other threads.
Poor thing.

Click.

boingy

20 Aug 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
20 Aug 2019
chaosroyale wrote:
20 Aug 2019
Poor thing.

Click.
Somehow I knew he was going to spit out his dummy. :lol:

reggie1979

20 Aug 2019

Before this gets locked, I am appalled by the OP's attitude. There is nothing here that suggests the thread title change or belittling the other forum members who quite honestly get along quite nicely for the most part.

It's immature, and degrading, not to mention unnecessary. Go start your own forum then you can ban all the terrible people who DARE post in your precious thread about something that YOU AND YOU ALONE think is/isn't on topic.

danc

20 Aug 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
20 Aug 2019
Before this gets locked, I am appalled by the OP's attitude. There is nothing here that suggests the thread title change or belittling the other forum members who quite honestly get along quite nicely for the most part.

It's immature, and degrading, not to mention unnecessary. Go start your own forum then you can ban all the terrible people who DARE post in your precious thread about something that YOU AND YOU ALONE think is/isn't on topic.
I understand the argument from both sides. We all want to be able to air our views on Reason related things... like what will appear in v11, 12, 13 and beyond... and so here we are on Reasontalk. The whole point of a forum like this is to discuss a common theme. This is the place where we should be allowed to air them.

However... there is a problem. What we all have in common is that for this to work, we want and need Propellerhead to be listening (maybe they secretly are). But sadly they don't seem to be. It's odd because Reason is designed and built for the type of people that become 'fans' of things... we are nerds at heart (don't shoot me!) Yet Propellerhead don't seem to want to play along and engage.

I am on another forum that Kilohearts run and my gosh - I have direct contact and frequent chats with the guys that make Phaseplant, Multipass, SnapIns etc. And they listen.. they really listen. We have a laugh and we level with each other - with equal respect. They discuss their reasons for why they do this and that and they try and accommodate everyone's opinion on the forum. It does ONE MAJOR thing for me... I will be a lifelong dedicated Kilohearts fan, user and advocate. And BTW Phaseplant is absolutely the DOGS B***LL**CKS. Serious - it's my No.1 synth. Thankfully it works in Reason (which isn't always a given!)
Check my Soundcloud:

guitfnky

20 Aug 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
20 Aug 2019
not sure what you really expected... it was framed no differently than the other threads (suggesting you were looking for “technical” information only after two pages and your second edit didn’t help—especially since that still doesn’t make it clear what you were after).
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

gullum

20 Aug 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
20 Aug 2019

1. What feature exactly does a particular DAW have that Reason needs, in your opinion.

2. If the other DAW already has that feature you need, why do you use Reason?

(in other words, does it have a feature that the "pro" DAW does NOT have?)
the way I understand it now after edit and request for deleting is
what is reason lacking ( another thread about that is active now)
And when other DAW's are better why am I stupid enough to still use reason

Creativemind

20 Aug 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
20 Aug 2019
Creativemind wrote:
20 Aug 2019

Well PRO means professional which applies to the daw as a whole, sound and architecture to my thinking.
This is the one and only time I'll ever be caught saying this:

A good carpenter doesn't blame his tools for not getting good results.

Now excuse me, I have to go throw up after spitting out such a cliche (though it's true this one time only)
Yes. A builder could knock in a nail using a brick but a sensible builder would use a hammer.

An electrician could undo a plug with a small knife but most would use a screwdriver.

That's what I say when that analogy is stated. Why do things the hard way, will it make you a better builder? No. The results are what matters. The builder / electrician with the right tools for the job will get the same results only quicker and look more professional by having the right equipment lol!

People who do things everyday or for a living will always find better more efficient ways of achieving the results. Not just making life harder for the sake of it.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Popey
Competition Winner

20 Aug 2019

I think it's fair to say props are aware of what people wish for as Matthias has conversations with people on here and has openly said he reads the posts (and was on the site today for example). I must admit they are in a difficult position however as we all have different "wants" and personally think it is highly unlikely that everyone will be satisfied in the next version as the wishlists are absolutely massive. This is not to say anyone wishes are better than others more just my take on the situation. I also believe that just implementing what is available in other daws more than likely could impact on innovating ideas that we haven't thought of and may end up loving so not sure how I feel about that as innovation can be rewarding. Let's hope the most frequent requested things are in 11 and perhaps some innovation as we all are here due to loving or using the product. I also want to say that the community on this site is one of the most helpful, insightful and respectable I am come across so long may that continue.

reggie1979

20 Aug 2019

danc wrote:
20 Aug 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
20 Aug 2019

I understand the argument from both sides. We all want to be able to air our views on Reason related things... like what will appear in v11, 12, 13 and beyond... and so here we are on Reasontalk. The whole point of a forum like this is to discuss a common theme. This is the place where we should be allowed to air them.

However... there is a problem. What we all have in common is that for this to work, we want and need Propellerhead to be listening (maybe they secretly are). But sadly they don't seem to be. It's odd because Reason is designed and built for the type of people that become 'fans' of things... we are nerds at heart (don't shoot me!) Yet Propellerhead don't seem to want to play along and engage.

I am on another forum that Kilohearts run and my gosh - I have direct contact and frequent chats with the guys that make Phaseplant, Multipass, SnapIns etc. And they listen.. they really listen. We have a laugh and we level with each other - with equal respect. They discuss their reasons for why they do this and that and they try and accommodate everyone's opinion on the forum. It does ONE MAJOR thing for me... I will be a lifelong dedicated Kilohearts fan, user and advocate. And BTW Phaseplant is absolutely the DOGS B***LL**CKS. Serious - it's my No.1 synth. Thankfully it works in Reason (which isn't always a given!)
My problem is this: There is no such thing as a balls to the wall "on topic" thread and some really cool people made what they thought were relatively on topic posts. Mine for example (me me me :lol: ) they weren't some sludge off topic nonsense.

I see the original thread title being "just another one of these threads" than anything anyone else wrote. Boingy was dead on. How can you talk about "pro DAW" and not have some of the opinions voiced? He could have been nicer and a tad more tolerant and we could get back to debating what pro means! :mrgreen:

Creativemind

20 Aug 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
20 Aug 2019
The word "inevitable" springs to mind.

reggie1979

20 Aug 2019

Creativemind wrote:
20 Aug 2019
chaosroyale wrote:
20 Aug 2019
The word "inevitable" springs to mind.
And again, one more time. If you make a thread that sounds like all the others (and it certainly did) what do you expect?

reggie1979

20 Aug 2019

One last thing, with the exception of my "commercials suck" thread, this has been the most frustrating in a short period of time because of the OP and his lack of common sense.

Out. I like having fun on forums, not dealing with meanies.

owlymane

20 Aug 2019

Well, at this point I'm just going to put the cherry on the cake for all our nonsense. I'd like to perform live with Reason...

<3

Creativemind

20 Aug 2019

I think every person who upgrades to Reason 11 in the first week of release should get a chocolate teapot. :lol:

owlymane

20 Aug 2019

Or chocolate shaped as Reason's logo :essentials: . Tasty

diminished
Competition Winner

20 Aug 2019

This thread:

:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

• Information