Another Reason 11 leak (kinda)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
diminished
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2019

ReasonUser wrote:
18 Aug 2019
Warning to OP... If someone were to post some actual leaks or information here the mods would quickly delete this thread and probably ban the user at the same time.
Which would give the alleged leak a lot of weight and confirms it. What's funny is that this is exactly what happened with the first R11 incident. Which wasn't even a leak, but a question about a weird email the user in question considered to be a phishing attack.

I'm not here to break an NDA, but to tell the story and gather/accumulate information. From an enduser perspective, to fire up the hype train!

If that's enough reason to ban users I'm sure I wouldn't want to participate anyways.

I'm glad there are at least some independent forums left like r/reasoners where no PH staff member is a moderato- oh wait.
(I'm not saying that Mattias has abused his position, quite the opposite, but he could if he or his empolyer wanted to. Do not like.)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2019

Just imagine a simple, official tweet:
"Something is in closed beta and you're gonna love it. ;)"

We'd be at the same point we're at right now, it would have a million times more reach than threads like this, noone would feel the need to comply to any unwritten rules.
And the hype train would be fuckin' rollin'.
But nooo, everything's super-duper secret except it isn't anymore.

I don't know if there is an official term, but some proactive PR would be nice for a change.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

hurricane
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2019

Catblack wrote:
18 Aug 2019
I'm not sure if any other DAWs have it, but if Reason were to add it, that to me would be groundbreaking. To be able to go 10 user actions back and undo the specific change to a knob that screwed the rest of your sound up would be amazing.
Logic goes up to 200 undo steps. Had this since six years ago. Funny how it would be "groundbreaking" for Reason. :lol:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2019

These undo steps in Logic are linear though, aren't they?
If we ever were to receive a non-linear undo list, mixer screenshots/snapshots wouldn't be too hard to implement too, no?

Creativemind

18 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
18 Aug 2019
Catblack wrote:
18 Aug 2019
I am looking forward to being surprised by Reason 11.

I think the one thing they could add that would surprise most people -- and I guess mentioning it here would constitute a feature request -- is a History Palette. I remember when Photoshop added theirs and it was a game changer. I suspect that Reason's architecture could support it. I'm not sure if any other DAWs have it, but if Reason were to add it, that to me would be groundbreaking. To be able to go 10 user actions back and undo the specific change to a knob that screwed the rest of your sound up would be amazing.

Of course Reason 11 needs to add all the other things people keep mentioning in these threads. But I always think of Reason as being late-90s Photoshop in this way. Like, an essential tool that is the superior user interface, just on the cusp of adding the features that will convince the world of how amazing it is...

I guess we'll see.
not sure about other DAWs, but you could do this in Digital Performer, at least back when I was using it (I doubt they would’ve removed this feature though, so it’s probably still there). wouldn’t be surprised if most other DAWs have a similar ability to undo specific events—it would be very welcome in Reason, for sure.
That is one basic thing that I really want in Reason. Undo History / Undo Events List. I needed it the other day. I needed to undo something I'd done 10 mins ago and then was quite peed off that in order to do so, I would therefore have to undo about 30+ events that I'd done afterwards. I don't know why Propellerhead don't come up against these issues often, as I do quite often. I'd probably say I'd use that in every session. Also, muting midi notes, needed that the other day too.

Reason has 300 undo's too, Logic must surely have more than 200? FL Studio has up to 999, you can type in how many you like up to 999. Reason should have at least 500 seeing as it undoes every little thing (which to me is annoying sometimes). I hope they also add an option for destructive undo's only, so have it like it is now or destructive undo's only which take out half the un-necessary ones like colouring / labelling clips etc
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

hurricane
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Aug 2019
If we ever were to receive a non-linear undo list, mixer screenshots/snapshots wouldn't be too hard to implement too, no?
Yes.

However, Logic tracks the undo history for the Mixer and Plugins separately, so you can undo a plugin or mixer action without it affecting the rest of the items in your undo history.
Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 12.15.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 12.15.36 PM.png (101.36 KiB) Viewed 8316 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Heigen5

18 Aug 2019

And an auto-save thingy would also be bananas. We would just choose the settings and it would autosave as determined.

Edit: I think that the scratch audio folder + tracking code would not require any audio to get self-contained til you do that manually later - if lets say your electricity goes suddenly down as example.
Last edited by Heigen5 on 18 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

18 Aug 2019

hurricane wrote:
18 Aug 2019
diminished wrote:
18 Aug 2019
Yes.

However, Logic tracks the undo history for the Mixer and Plugins separately, so you can undo a plugin or mixer action without it affecting the rest of the items in your undo history.

That's fantastic that is. Will Propellerhead implement an undo events list like this and other more practical features or just shove more WOW factor instruments or something in. I hope not.

Reason 10 was a let down in many respects, they said after it's release that 10 was not done yet after there was only 1 core feature besides instruments but because the optimisation of VST we only got like 5 workflow improvements.

I for one couldn't care less about Synchronous or Radical Piano nor those 3 organic Soundiron instruments. They should have been scrapped for at least another 10 workflow features.

Creativemind

18 Aug 2019

hurricane wrote:
18 Aug 2019
diminished wrote:
18 Aug 2019
Yes.

Oh and why not mixer, plug-in and sequencer or does everthing except plug-in undo's come under the mixer undo's?

QVprod

18 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
18 Aug 2019
guitfnky wrote:
18 Aug 2019

even if the leaked info came from another source? I could see that being done if the person posting was the one who originated the leak, but if it’s sharing information that someone else has leaked elsewhere, I think that response would be a bit excessive.
Yup, the mods are very sensitive to such things on here. Too sensitive in my view, but that's just my view. This is an unofficial forum that behaves like an official one. There has already been at least one R11 thread erased. Censorship is never good.
Well, we arguably replaced the official one. :cool: In another thread someone referred to us as the "official unofficial forum for Propellerhead Reason users" Nonetheless, we have a fairly cool relationship with Propellerhead that simply makes sense to maintain, so no we don't allow NDA breaking. Posting a leak by someone else though? That's not worth banning for. At worse, the thread (or post) gets deleted.

QVprod

18 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
17 Aug 2019
diminished wrote:
17 Aug 2019

Yeah I saw you in there :) You're always a pleasant read, by the way!

Regarding my "knowing what's up then move on with our lives":
There's so much doomsday talk in all of the speculation threads recently. (I guess I'm guilty of it myself from time to time.)
I'm exaggerating, but I read a lot of stuff like "Oh my gawd if Reason doesn't deliver X I'm fucking DONE how could they, stupid PH!!" - all based on assumptions. Assumptions based on Niklas' backstory, based on false logic ("if X is implemented, Y won't happen").
All those voices would be silenced if we had a feature list or a glimpse into the future of Reason.
The haters would have an opportunity to move on, and the appreciative crowd would have something to look forward to.
ah, that makes sense. I hadn’t thought of it that way, but I can totally understand the perspective that a roadmap could silence a lot of unwarranted criticism. the other side of that though, is, if they say they’re doing a feature, and don’t manage to get it included, for some reason, the pitchforks and torches will be out in full effect. 😆

I’m also a fan of the Battlefield game franchise, and they’re struggling with that exact question right now. don’t communicate enough, and people get upset—communicate more, and risk being called liars and incompetent, when something doesn’t work out. if you think the Reason community can be negative, hoo-boy, never join a video game sub on Reddit. 😂

thanks for the kind words, btw!
Better example, We don't want Propellerhead to end up in a Bioware - Anthem situation. Revealing cards too soon is a huge issue in the gaming industry. Truth of the matter most companies don't have public roadmaps though afaik. They reveal products when they're near completion so they don't fail to deliver. Otherwise you get Anthem. People here were fairly upset when the VST support fix got took longer than what was initially announced. I wouldn't ask for a public roadmap unless you're ok with being aware of every delay, which I'm sure probably happens quite a bit.

Ultimately though, I think there's far less frustration if a person would buy a product for what it does do and not for what they hope it would do in the future.

stp2015

18 Aug 2019

I think the one big feature that could be consistent with what the "leaker" is describing would be a clip launcher. Not that I have information from a closed beta or anything ;) :puf_bigsmile:

VariableX

19 Aug 2019

I think its gonna be a Teenage Engineering OP-Z sequencer device and its gonna rock! with step components and effects etc... basically a complete hardware to RE port
😀😀

Cuz for me the Props one and the Robo Bean one really missed a trick... both coulda been awesome but sadly for me both very un-inspiring.

antic604

19 Aug 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
19 Aug 2019
I think its gonna be a Teenage Engineering OP-Z sequencer device and its gonna rock! with step components and effects etc... basically a complete hardware to RE port
😀😀
That wouldn't have to be in 11, just a RE in the shop.

VariableX

19 Aug 2019

True but done well it would revolutionise sequencing in Reason and be a great carrot for going for the upgrade.

craven

19 Aug 2019

Kinda funny that the leaker claims to honor the Props and therefore does not leak any detailed information while leaking that there will be a new version soon. I also would have appreciated an official tweet but the hype train left the station :)
Guess Props are no fans of this kind of speculation that might result in disappointed vocal users.

I recently checked out the latest Bitwig 3 demo and was initially overwhelmed by the busy UI. It's all on one screen, which is nice, but in comparison to Reason, it felt cluttered and full of information. Shows how used I am to the cleaner Reason approach with its browser and the device images etc.
Having the instruments and effects in the style of Ableton live in Bitwig is not bad though. The sequencer also made a good impression.
One thing I loved was the use of caps lock to toggle the keyboard to play instruments. It's much handier than the F4 shortcut we have now.
Overall, I quickly felt that I prefer the Reason workflow (due to me being used to that) and that I hope for a clip launcher in R11 and an overhauled sequencer, with folding tracks etc.
:ugeek:

reddust

19 Aug 2019

Is this actually a leak or plain publicity? :P

Creativemind

19 Aug 2019

stp2015 wrote:
18 Aug 2019
I think the one big feature that could be consistent with what the "leaker" is describing would be a clip launcher. Not that I have information from a closed beta or anything ;) :puf_bigsmile:
What exactly is a clip launcher? is it like that scene mode from Ableton where you can have clips on tracks that you can launch and set the time for which they launch (the same thing as where the next loop on the Dr.Octo.Rex will trigger, next 1/6th, next bar etc)?

To me that's only useful if you do a lot of live work. Would be good fun to play around with though I suppose but after the novelty wore off (if you weren't using live) it'd probably not get used often.

The thing that entered my mind straight away (as they said long time requested feature or something along those lines) was an update to the Combinator. It could possibly be the sequencer, maybe a scalable rack / mixer or curved automation.

Something else occurred to me yesterday though, it could be Track Folders but maybe a lot of people want that now but has it been requested for a long time?

chimp_spanner

19 Aug 2019

Clips could be cool, if they're done right and mixed seamlessly into the non-linear workflow we currently have. Like, I have a Maschine Mk3 and while it's a great piece of kit I find the whole patterns/clips thing really limiting in terms of making variations. If it was done like blocks where you could draw in patterns but override them with arranger clips that would be absolutely perfect for me. Certainly for writing quickly it'd be amazing to be able to make changes to all instances of a pattern in a song. I already kinda use Blocks like that and it's helped me meet some very tight deadlines.

But really for me, Folders are literally at the very top of my list. Along with auto-sync'ing track/rack/mixer order, and multi-channel MIDI. Those things alone would allow me to use Reason a lot more like Cubase (especially when it comes to large hybrid/orchestral projects and templates).

Ultimately though it's all speculation! I have absolutely no clue how close we are to 11 beyond these little rumours and leaks (and if I did know I wouldn't say sh*t haha). So for now, it's just back to making music and sound designing :)

ReasonUser

19 Aug 2019

Integrated Recycle with clip sequencer concurrently running with the linear sequencer. Just speculating here. 😜

jlgrimes

19 Aug 2019

Out of respect for this great company I will not share it, but it’s something very, very cool that a lot of us have wanted for a long time. All I can say is you will have your pleasant surprise.

New features for 11.

Enhanced modern 4k GUI for the Rebirth Input Machine.

ReGroove Mixer now with 64 channels.

Spider CV/Audio Merger/Splitter each gets one extra connection.

Kong gets one extra mono output.

chimp_spanner

19 Aug 2019

jlgrimes wrote:
19 Aug 2019
Kong gets one extra mono output.
:lol: Okay but that was pretty funny.

buddard
RE Developer

19 Aug 2019

I've heard from a very reliable source inside the company that all knobs will go to 11 in honour of the version number.

diminished
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2019

Mods and developers start posting fun things in these threads.
It seems the beta is about to go public :P

Zac

19 Aug 2019

I REALLY want to know what's in R11 now :twisted:

• Information