Another Reason 11 leak (kinda)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
diminished
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2019

I’m a former Propellerhead test pilot who was accidentally included in an email about what they’re testing in Reason 11 right now. Out of respect for this great company I will not share it, but it’s something very, very cool that a lot of us have wanted for a long time. All I can say is you will have your pleasant surprise.
While I agree with the "cock tease" later in the comments, that's good news I guess? Unless it means "scalable GUI, yes, but no sequencer upgrade" :D

I hate the fact though that there never was and probably never will be something like a public product roadmap. At least for the next major version.
They're not Samsung or Apple and the competition will have spies in the close circles anyways, so why don't they just fucking tell us at this point what's planned and what's not so we can all move on with our lives. We had a R11 leak before on Reasontalk so no need to be uptight about it any longer.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

diminished
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2019

Same user, a later post:
Back in the early days I wrote a detailed post on the forum asking for a way to “stack” devices so we could play multiple instruments as if they were a single device. A couple versions later they gave us the Combinator, which was far beyond anything I had imagined.

I also requested the ability to drag mixer channels to rearrange them. I was just thinking of the basic mixer, since that’s all there was at the time. This one took a little longer, but when they made Record (and eventually merged it back into Reason), they added the full, dedicated mixer, with a brilliant abstraction to connect it to the rack — the mix device. They could have just let you flip a switch on the back of any device to send its audio to the main mixer instead of its normal outputs, but that’s not how they do things. The mix device as a proxy for the mixer channel is so cool. And in the process of all that, I got my draggable mixer channels. Again, far beyond what I asked for.

There are lots more of these. They always managed to surprise and delight us with each version. And we are in for a real treat this time.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Creativemind

17 Aug 2019

This guy could be just making all this up to get us all talking. Whatever floats his boat but if it is to be believed, apart from an updated sequencer, the only thing I can think of that people have requested for a long time is an Supercombinator or Combinator 2. People have been requesting that for (I don't know tbf) like 10yrs. Probably since Reason 5 or 6 haven't they?

The only other things I can think of are video support, scalable rack / mixer, track folders or curved automation.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

diminished
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2019

Well, Reason 11 is in closed beta, that comes from two sources now.

The new feature might be a Supercombinator with a new type of cables for MIDI? (and VST3 + MIDI-out of course :))

ab459

17 Aug 2019

Would be cool midi plug's support finally, today lack of this in daw it's strange.

reggie1979

17 Aug 2019

It's right on schedule. Pretty soon we'll be able to test it (hyperdrive)!

hurricane
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
17 Aug 2019

Yay more colors!
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

BRIGGS

17 Aug 2019

Eleven?....oh, yeah, it comes after 10. :puf_smile:
r11s

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
17 Aug 2019
Eleven?....oh, yeah, it comes after 10. :puf_smile:
Attachments
9B7FF73E-59DE-4780-9938-10C03A8BA47F.png
9B7FF73E-59DE-4780-9938-10C03A8BA47F.png (453.12 KiB) Viewed 16324 times
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

17 Aug 2019

ha, that one post was a response to one of my comments.

anyhoo, I’d take that with a huge grain of salt. unless he’s been known to provide good info in the past, it’s questionable.

not sure why we need information about the next release in order to “move on with our lives”, though. it’s fun to speculate, but no use in taking it that seriously until it’s announced (unless you happen to work for Props).
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

diminished
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
17 Aug 2019

anyhoo, I’d take that with a huge grain of salt. unless he’s been known to provide good info in the past, it’s questionable.

not sure why we need information about the next release in order to “move on with our lives”, though. it’s fun to speculate, but no use in taking it that seriously until it’s announced (unless you happen to work for Props).
Yeah I saw you in there :) You're always a pleasant read, by the way!

Regarding my "knowing what's up then move on with our lives":
There's so much doomsday talk in all of the speculation threads recently. (I guess I'm guilty of it myself from time to time.)
I'm exaggerating, but I read a lot of stuff like "Oh my gawd if Reason doesn't deliver X I'm fucking DONE how could they, stupid PH!!" - all based on assumptions. Assumptions based on Niklas' backstory, based on false logic ("if X is implemented, Y won't happen").
All those voices would be silenced if we had a feature list or a glimpse into the future of Reason.
The haters would have an opportunity to move on, and the appreciative crowd would have something to look forward to.

Loque

17 Aug 2019

No facts to talk about, even there is a 11 coming in near future.

Not sure i really need what will come, but i hope so...
Reason12, Win10

reggie1979

17 Aug 2019

My optimism stems from the fact that it's about due on top of these "leaks"

Nobody official is going to talk about it but it makes sense. Whether or not I'll care about the new features is up in the air of course.

guitfnky

17 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
17 Aug 2019
guitfnky wrote:
17 Aug 2019

Yeah I saw you in there :) You're always a pleasant read, by the way!

Regarding my "knowing what's up then move on with our lives":
There's so much doomsday talk in all of the speculation threads recently. (I guess I'm guilty of it myself from time to time.)
I'm exaggerating, but I read a lot of stuff like "Oh my gawd if Reason doesn't deliver X I'm fucking DONE how could they, stupid PH!!" - all based on assumptions. Assumptions based on Niklas' backstory, based on false logic ("if X is implemented, Y won't happen").
All those voices would be silenced if we had a feature list or a glimpse into the future of Reason.
The haters would have an opportunity to move on, and the appreciative crowd would have something to look forward to.
ah, that makes sense. I hadn’t thought of it that way, but I can totally understand the perspective that a roadmap could silence a lot of unwarranted criticism. the other side of that though, is, if they say they’re doing a feature, and don’t manage to get it included, for some reason, the pitchforks and torches will be out in full effect. 😆

I’m also a fan of the Battlefield game franchise, and they’re struggling with that exact question right now. don’t communicate enough, and people get upset—communicate more, and risk being called liars and incompetent, when something doesn’t work out. if you think the Reason community can be negative, hoo-boy, never join a video game sub on Reddit. 😂

thanks for the kind words, btw!

Yonatan

18 Aug 2019

Regarding roadmap. I can recall PH has said they want not to promise anything if things change in priority.

For me, I really think there is something natural to not reveal something that might be a new take or a creative surprise.
But I do think it would make more sense to reveal anything that is a bit minor or more, that most other DAWs might have already and a workflow we have been waiting for in Reason. If they know they have it on the way.

So, maybe there could be a balance from case to case. But also I understand the problem of saying A and people then want the whole cake or "why not also this and this and...".
So in a way, many dont seem to be able to handle pre-info in a sane way. So even as some can handle that PH would deliver pre-info, many other would go bananas and time wasted trying to calm the flames. I rather prefer PH continue focusing on their work than answering 1000 questions because of giving some info meant to soothe the crowd.

I am glad to hear that the work on R11 is ongoing. This is the most fun Daw in my taste. Not the most equipt or most prestigous, but it is a workstation that just gets better and better.
I really hope new investors do see what an lovely diamond this DAW is, and continue to let it evolve to new heights of unfold potential.

Luxuria

18 Aug 2019

As a business with a couple decades of experience it'd be silly not to have some proper research and brain storming time that goes into figuring out a pallbark number for resources and man hours needed. They have roadmaps, they just don't want to be public with them.

I'd much prefer they keep what's secret right before a major version release but then be open on what to expect for the point updates so we know whether to update early and wait patiently or skip the version altogether and not cause so much commotion and speculation.

Leaks can be very positive. It gives you free media/marketing , user moral can go up, and might help Phead's paranoia out. I don't think they have to worry about anyone jacking their ground breaking innovations ;)

gullum

18 Aug 2019

When it comes I will buy it. if it is this year fine if it is next year fine too. I can still make my music

Yonatan

18 Aug 2019

Luxuria wrote:
18 Aug 2019
I'd much prefer they keep what's secret right before a major version release but then be open on what to expect for the point updates so we know whether to update early and wait patiently or skip the version altogether and not cause so much commotion and speculation.

Leaks can be very positive. It gives you free media/marketing , user moral can go up, and might help Phead's paranoia out. I don't think they have to worry about anyone jacking their ground breaking innovations ;)
Good point about being a bit more open about some things in the pipeline with point updates. There is naturally always some of us users who think "cool, but not on my list of priority at the moment, but if you throw in some of X or Y along the road, I will upgrade right away".

And, yes, some kind of leak like this now, is rather thankful and good, we need expectations and hints, being slightly prepared but still don´t know exactly what and when.

Ermitage

18 Aug 2019

but it’s something very, very cool that a lot of us have wanted for a long time
Looks like we're finally getting our Radical Kazoo!

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2019

Ermitage wrote:
18 Aug 2019
but it’s something very, very cool that a lot of us have wanted for a long time
Looks like we're finally getting our Radical Kazoo!
:D Isn't Processed Kalimbas (with a bitcrusher you can feed other instruments into!!! wowzers!) up first?

Catblack

18 Aug 2019

I am looking forward to being surprised by Reason 11.

I think the one thing they could add that would surprise most people -- and I guess mentioning it here would constitute a feature request -- is a History Palette. I remember when Photoshop added theirs and it was a game changer. I suspect that Reason's architecture could support it. I'm not sure if any other DAWs have it, but if Reason were to add it, that to me would be groundbreaking. To be able to go 10 user actions back and undo the specific change to a knob that screwed the rest of your sound up would be amazing.

Of course Reason 11 needs to add all the other things people keep mentioning in these threads. But I always think of Reason as being late-90s Photoshop in this way. Like, an essential tool that is the superior user interface, just on the cusp of adding the features that will convince the world of how amazing it is...

I guess we'll see.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

ReasonUser

18 Aug 2019

Warning to OP... If someone were to post some actual leaks or information here the mods would quickly delete this thread and probably ban the user at the same time.

guitfnky

18 Aug 2019

ReasonUser wrote:
18 Aug 2019
Warning to OP... If someone were to post some actual leaks or information here the mods would quickly delete this thread and probably ban the user at the same time.
even if the leaked info came from another source? I could see that being done if the person posting was the one who originated the leak, but if it’s sharing information that someone else has leaked elsewhere, I think that response would be a bit excessive.

guitfnky

18 Aug 2019

Catblack wrote:
18 Aug 2019
I am looking forward to being surprised by Reason 11.

I think the one thing they could add that would surprise most people -- and I guess mentioning it here would constitute a feature request -- is a History Palette. I remember when Photoshop added theirs and it was a game changer. I suspect that Reason's architecture could support it. I'm not sure if any other DAWs have it, but if Reason were to add it, that to me would be groundbreaking. To be able to go 10 user actions back and undo the specific change to a knob that screwed the rest of your sound up would be amazing.

Of course Reason 11 needs to add all the other things people keep mentioning in these threads. But I always think of Reason as being late-90s Photoshop in this way. Like, an essential tool that is the superior user interface, just on the cusp of adding the features that will convince the world of how amazing it is...

I guess we'll see.
not sure about other DAWs, but you could do this in Digital Performer, at least back when I was using it (I doubt they would’ve removed this feature though, so it’s probably still there). wouldn’t be surprised if most other DAWs have a similar ability to undo specific events—it would be very welcome in Reason, for sure.

boingy

18 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
18 Aug 2019
ReasonUser wrote:
18 Aug 2019
even if the leaked info came from another source? I could see that being done if the person posting was the one who originated the leak, but if it’s sharing information that someone else has leaked elsewhere, I think that response would be a bit excessive.
Yup, the mods are very sensitive to such things on here. Too sensitive in my view, but that's just my view. This is an unofficial forum that behaves like an official one. There has already been at least one R11 thread erased. Censorship is never good.

• Information