Attenuating aftertouch with attack and release?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
owlis

04 Aug 2019

Hi I like using aftertouch for filter sweeps etc... but when I press into the keys it tends to jump quickly an isn't a really smooth transition. Does anyone know of a way, in Thor, for example, to wire it up so that if I press into a key hard (ie engage alot of aftertouch) that the aftetrouch effect with take effect gradually kind of like a filter envelope can if you set a slow attack, likewise it would be cool to do the same for the release.

Any ideas?
Pete

owlis

05 Aug 2019

OK thanks, I'll see if there is a way to wire it in the matrix with an envelope scale.

Cheers
Pete

gavh
Competition Winner

05 Aug 2019

I think you want a "lag processor". There's a thread about it here:

viewtopic.php?p=395433#p395433

Use Thor's mod matrix so that aftertouch is routed to a CV out, connect it through the Pulveriser then back into Thor's CV inputs, then route the CV input to modulate whatever you like. Play with the attack / release on the Pulveriser.

Mich01

06 Aug 2019

To soften the aftertouch you can do different things.
First of all in the modulationbus, you can scale the aftertouch (as source) by itself (aftertouch as scaleparameter). Doing this will create more exponential-like curves in stead of a linear curve, when pressing teh aftertouch.
Furthermore you can try scaling the aftertouch (source) with an envelop as scaleparameter. When for example you set a slow attackrate in the envelope, the aftertouch can be softened (will follow) the envelopecurve.
And of course you can do the otherway around; the envelope as source, scaled by aftertouch.
You'll have to experiment a little and find what suites best for your purpose.

Greetz Michel

Italophile

06 Aug 2019

owlis wrote:
04 Aug 2019
Hi I like using aftertouch for filter sweeps etc... but when I press into the keys it tends to jump quickly an isn't a really smooth transition. Does anyone know of a way, in Thor, for example, to wire it up so that if I press into a key hard (ie engage alot of aftertouch) that the aftetrouch effect with take effect gradually kind of like a filter envelope can if you set a slow attack, likewise it would be cool to do the same for the release.

Any ideas?
Pete
There is a free RE for that, the EXP1 Expression Processor from Amaloo Studio

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... processor/

selig
RE Developer

06 Aug 2019

Italophile wrote:
06 Aug 2019
owlis wrote:
04 Aug 2019

Any ideas?
Pete
There is a free RE for that, the EXP1 Expression Processor from Amaloo Studio

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... processor/
I "second" gavh's suggestion to use Pulveriser - it has a CV input for the Follower that's made specifically for this task.
But also, dang that EXP-1 looks super handy - thanks for pointing that out Pete, I somehow missed it's release!
Selig Audio, LLC

owlis

07 Aug 2019

OK I'll try out the EXP-1 to start with. Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Cheers
Pete

• Information