Mixing and delivering a song master

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
calebbrennan

31 Jul 2019

One of the greatest pieces of advice I got was from a engineer producer who said decisions are your best friends.

For me I'm writing 3 1/2 minute pop songs with a lot of electronics but I've learned that cutting off the possibilities is the best choice
tracking most of the tracks to audio which also frees up my cpu

And it's all about commitment not getting stuck in endless sequential and synthesizer possibilities

The way I do this is I record the synth tracks I have created and they are now an audio file the only files I leave in MIDI are drums and bass
And maybe some piano but in general I'm cutting off all the possibilities in order to focus Melody and Rhythm Section

So for example I have vocal that goes into an intense Echo repeat . I record that to audio and then delete the Echo and Associated devices

It's initially threatening to erase what you just created synthesize or effect wise but can always go back to previous song version the important thing is to move on and delete unnecessary and streamline your process

The next big thing is to erase elements that get in the way of each other and clogged up the mix
These would be hard choices but in the end is the best for the track to have room and Air

Sacrificing tracks you worked on for a long time is a challenge for the ego but also opens up the track to becoming something new and exciting

chimp_spanner

31 Jul 2019

100% agree with this. Working with audio is limiting and liberating at the same time. I've been doing a lot of work lately using my iPad as, effectively, an outboard synth (have a Keystation Mini32 connected to it). And just finding a cool sound, recording it and then just living with it actually helps me to be more bold and just...move on. It's a phrase that gets thrown around a lot but "option paralysis" is a real thing. And I'm gradually starting to see the wisdom in separating all your processes out. Just because everything can run in real time, all the time, doesn't mean it should.

123repeater

31 Jul 2019

I agree with limitations. But I also think theres a time and place for breaking even that rule and overdoing something to death to get it just right. Sometimes it just takes longer. But trying to do this as seldom as possible. And honing your instincts for when something is worth the time investment and when its trivial. Someday I'll figure it out!

napynap

01 Aug 2019

A lot of us have all recently been discussing this process here. You may find some interesting points and knowledge:

Ok I Done It All Wrong
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7513120
visit http://www.napynap.com to learn more about me. Thank you.

Biolumin3sc3nt

01 Aug 2019

I'll concur on the "Commitment" tip. However don't delete that efx send or whatever etc. Just hit save as "version 2". The songs I have finished with a partner, We have like version 22, just because the computing horsepower wasn't there. Just make stems ( bounce to audio) , and then You can always come back to that version of # 15 and make some automation changes to say the cutoff on Expanse.

My track count is significantly lower than say 10 years ago. I seriously don't wanna work on a project that's balls deep in nuances and takes I don't need. Simplicity is key.

At the same time tho, if you're working with virtual instruments, just hit save. And onto version 2. I hope that help's!

calebbrennan

08 Aug 2019

Nappynap

I was aware of that thread "Ok I don it all wrong"
but it was getting top heavy with comments
and I wanted to express less is more and my process
not getting lost in the details is an ongoing challenge for me
and I deal with it by eliminating the "endless possiblities"
I'm still learning

• Information