bitspeek

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
r1381

30 Jul 2019

since bitspeek doesn't have a dry/wet control, is there a way to make that transition from dry to wet other than duplicating the layer and fading the volume between the original sample and the bitspeek sample? thinking i might not have enough technical knowledge, hoping there is a better way to make that transition.
thanks!

future-bit

30 Jul 2019

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

r1381

30 Jul 2019

future-bit wrote:
30 Jul 2019
You can use it as send fx (in mixer).
ah, thanks. i'll give that a try!

adfielding

31 Jul 2019

I've attached something you might find useful for future instances where a device doesn't have a dry/wet control.

This is a simple Combinator setup using the pan-pots to provide an equal power crossfader (which I originally stole from Peff's excellent Power Tools For Reason 2.5 book) - simply replace the dummy effect (The Echo, handily labelled "Dummy Effect") I've put in there with whichever device you want to use - you can either replace it manually, or drag & drop from the browser to replace it.

Make sure the routing matches the image below.
Annotation 2019-07-31 093642.jpg
Annotation 2019-07-31 093642.jpg (133.8 KiB) Viewed 760 times
The left and right inputs to your effect should be coming from the "Split" audio splitter, and the outputs should be going to the left input on the second channel on both "Out L" and "Out R" line mixers - this is necessary for the equal power crossfader to work. You should now be able to control the strength of any effect, regardless of whether it has a dry/wet knob, with the "dry/wet" knob on the Combinator. This is great when using synths such as the Malstrom & Thor as effects.

Alternatively, you could use a crossfader RE (such as the free Morfin XF Crossfader), but I'm all about the stock device solutions :)

edit: you can read the original source text here: https://www.propellerheads.com/blog/one ... combinator
Attachments
Crossfade Template.zip
(1.41 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

r1381

01 Aug 2019

thanks, adfielding! this is awesome. i appreciate you taking the time to type all of this up and provide a screenshot as well as a zipped file. will definitely check this out.
i checked out some of your music from your links below while doing some work. that is some top notch production.

dioxide

01 Aug 2019

I'm amazed that no-one has created a simple Dry/Wet RE device. When I need to do this I usually use one of these. It's a simple crossfader and it's free.
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... rossfader/

As a side note, I'm kind of disappointed they only released one RE, they seemed to vanish pretty fast. Their website is still active.

r1381

01 Aug 2019

dioxide wrote:
01 Aug 2019
I'm amazed that no-one has created a simple Dry/Wet RE device. When I need to do this I usually use one of these. It's a simple crossfader and it's free.
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... rossfader/

As a side note, I'm kind of disappointed they only released one RE, they seemed to vanish pretty fast. Their website is still active.
nice! just went and downloaded it. will try that out, too. thank you.

adfielding

02 Aug 2019

r1381 wrote:
01 Aug 2019
thanks, adfielding! this is awesome. i appreciate you taking the time to type all of this up and provide a screenshot as well as a zipped file. will definitely check this out.
i checked out some of your music from your links below while doing some work. that is some top notch production.
Not a problem, happy to help :) As dioxide pointed out, the Morfin XF Crossfade RE is also a fantastic alternative if you want to go the RE route - I'm trying to keep my RE collection a bit more streamlined these days, which is why I still use the stock approach. I'm weird like that.

Also, thanks for the kind words!

• Information