ADSR with a bit of help

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
samsome

28 Jul 2019

Hi i know how to use ADSR (so i say)

but what i don't know to do is

While holding down the keys, ok we can lower the volume using the Decay and Sustain after some seconds as set by Decay.

But if i wanted to raise the volume again (while the keys still are down)

how would i go about doing that with ADSR? or is ADSR out of the picture at this stage? and how would you go about doing this

Loque

28 Jul 2019

Not. ADSER means Attack, Decay, Sustain an Release it it does not mean volumen, well, not all all. IT means time for ADR and volume for Sustain. If you want to raise it again, you need to use other modulations, like Mod Env, LFOs and similar, or even better use a synth, which lets you define exact curves over each phase of the keypressing and between!
Reason12, Win10

samsome

28 Jul 2019

or just automate volume i guess...

Loque

28 Jul 2019

samsome wrote:
28 Jul 2019
or just automate volume i guess...
This is always an option, since ADSR is "automation" of the volume for a mono key press..."
Reason12, Win10

two shoes

29 Jul 2019

There are envelopes with more stages than adsr but they aren't typically used the way you're describing. A midi keyboard with aftertouch or some type of automation or cv modulation is probably what you need but hard to say without knowing what you're trying to do exactly.

Mich01

30 Jul 2019

Hi,

You can achieve a rising of volume (or opening filter) from the sustainlevel with envelopes in Thor.
If you want the volume to rise after some time the key is pressed (when it reached the sustain stage) you can route the mod envelope also to (amp)gain. Set the attack time to about 3 or 4 seconds. Then the delay-time of the mod-env to a time that is longer then the sum of the attack and decay time of your Amp env. When the sustain-level of your anp-env is set to less then maximum, the mod-env increases the amp-volume during the sustain stage.
So the basic is that you route two envelopes to the same destination.
You have to experiment a bit with the settings to make the envelope-curve to your wishes.

Succes
Greetz Michel

• Information