How to pre-lock rec button?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Pinkbox

28 Jul 2019

Hi,

I'd like to "pre-lock" the rec button in order to have a recording starting from the very beginning of the song.
Why don't I press the rec button you ask?
In my setup Reason is midi slave and there's no way to send a "press rec instead play" message from my digitakt (as far as I know).

Thanks

napynap

01 Aug 2019

Since Reason is slave, if you press REC on Reason, will it wait for you to press play on your Digitakt and then start recording? What happens if you try this?
visit http://www.napynap.com to learn more about me. Thank you.

Pinkbox

01 Aug 2019

Thanks for the answer.
I get the popup window noticing me Reason is midi slave and asking if I want to desactivate midi sync. If I press no nothing happen.

selig
RE Developer

01 Aug 2019

I've dug around with this issue and not found a solution.
But I can add a few thoughts.

Generally speaking, it's better to have your record machine as the master, because syncing to external clock requires micro speed variations (jitter) to stay synced (which then get recorded into the result).
When the slave device is simply playing back notes/audio, it has a slightly easier job doing so.

I noticed this more when recording audio into Reason from my modular and hardware synths, because MIDI sync isn't as accurate as sample rate based clock sync. So in those cases I record into Reason with the external sequencer as the slave.

It's something to try, and works around the limitation of getting Reason into Record as a MDII slave.
Selig Audio, LLC

Pinkbox

01 Aug 2019

That's disapointing..!
But thanks for the advice, I'll think about it.

Pinkbox

12 Oct 2019

selig wrote:
01 Aug 2019
Generally speaking, it's better to have your record machine as the master, because syncing to external clock requires micro speed variations (jitter) to stay synced (which then get recorded into the result).
When the slave device is simply playing back notes/audio, it has a slightly easier job doing so.
I've modified my setup so Reason is now master and the Elektron boxes slaves.
Everything is just fine except for one thing : Reason is randomly going back to the 0:00 position and start writing over the recordings. Sometimes it's after ten seconds, sometimes after five minutes, the marker goes right to the beginning of the track. Even if I'm not touching anything. It's happening with both Reason 9 and Reason 11.
Any thoughts?

Pinkbox

12 Oct 2019

Forget it sorry it was just the Arturia Beatstep messing

• Information