Recording Vocals - IMPOSSIBLE?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Skull

24 Jul 2019

I know for a fact that it isn't impossible to record vocals directly into reason because I've done it myself on other computers. However, this machine is making what should be a relatively simple process into something arduous and increasingly costly.

Since my computer must rely on an external sound driver, Yeti Tech Support told me I could not use my USB mic through my Focusrite Scarlett Solo (the only way my computer can play audio), so I went out and bought a new mic to plug into the Solo. Great news, the mic works just fine according to the test:
noaudio3.jpg
noaudio3.jpg (29.54 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
If you were to ask Reason 10 how the mic worked, or anything regarding the Solo as an input device, it might give you a puzzled look.
According to Reason, no input channels exist.
noaudio1.jpg
noaudio1.jpg (34 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
This is what the Preferences page looks like, echoing Reason's erroneous claim that there are no inputs available.
noaudio2.jpg
noaudio2.jpg (95.39 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
Which step(s) am I missing, if any, and how can I get my vocals recorded directly into Reason?

boingy

25 Jul 2019

In your preferences page try choosing the Focusrite ASIO driver. I can't promise it will solve your problem but you should definitely be using that one.

Skull

25 Jul 2019

Unfortunately ASIO doesn't show up as an option...
noaudio4.jpg
noaudio4.jpg (20.69 KiB) Viewed 1344 times

...even though this program exists:
noaudio5.jpg
noaudio5.jpg (12.68 KiB) Viewed 1344 times

Noplan
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2019

bitley

25 Jul 2019

Yeah stay very far away from DX drivers; those are for games etc

mcatalao
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2019

You definitely have a driver problem. You have to instal the asio drivers.

Also, i think even in DX drivers the audio inputs should appear. So, maybe there is some place to manage your input channels availability on the focusrite side.

Skull

05 Aug 2019

For the time being, I've just been recording in Audacity over my Reason track looped in the background. It isn't a perfect system, but I am able to edit the audio with surgical precision before importing it into Reason, so it isn't the worst setup either.

(and it records in there just fine without an ASIO)

guitfnky

05 Aug 2019

why would you want to use a workaround to record, instead of just downloading an appropriate driver and doing it in Reason? you’re adding unnecessary steps to the process. downloading and installing ASIO drivers takes, what, two minutes?
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Skull

05 Aug 2019

And importing audio into Reason takes about 10 seconds.

If it were a workaround that was truly inconvenient with no benefits over recording directly into Reason, I would continue downloading and installing ASIO drivers until Reason recognized one of them. However, Audacity does allow me to edit pops, clicks, breath, and room noise out of my vocal tracks with precision that I'm unable to achieve within Reason itself, which is a necessary step, so it isn't really extra work any more than trying unsuccessfully to configure new sound drivers on a faulty computer would be (and has been).

boingy

06 Aug 2019

I guess some folks just can't be helped.

future-bit

06 Aug 2019

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

WillyOD

06 Aug 2019

Also, install and try out ASIO4ALL (Google it) if you're still having problems after installing the proper ASIO driver for your soundcard (or for some reason cannot get the driver installed).
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

Retake

07 Aug 2019

Skull wrote:
05 Aug 2019
And importing audio into Reason takes about 10 seconds.

If it were a workaround that was truly inconvenient with no benefits over recording directly into Reason, I would continue downloading and installing ASIO drivers until Reason recognized one of them. However, Audacity does allow me to edit pops, clicks, breath, and room noise out of my vocal tracks with precision that I'm unable to achieve within Reason itself, which is a necessary step, so it isn't really extra work any more than trying unsuccessfully to configure new sound drivers on a faulty computer would be (and has been).
All pro and semi-pro audio interfaces for the PC require the manufacturer's drivers to be installed to operate correctly. Not installing the drivers would be like not putting gas in your car because you only plan to drive down hill every day. :puf_wink:

mjxl

08 Aug 2019

You could try using VoiceMeeter (Banana).
It makes routing audio a breeze.

• Information