Where is Unison? Subtractor / Malmstrom/ Thor?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
samsome

23 Jul 2019

do they have unison?

thanks

pushedbutton

23 Jul 2019

we usually just sellotape a UN16 to them.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2019

Use Thor "multi-osc" and dial it up. Use 3 of them for more. Add a little chorus. It's the "biggest" I think of the of the old stock units.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

chaosroyale

23 Jul 2019

They do not (well- Thor has a "multi" osc, but it's not stereo), and the old UN16 half-rack FX unit doesn't sound too great, and is not the same as the modern "supersaw" style of unison.
Luckily, this being Reason, there is an easy way to get incredibly huge, powerful, unison. Let's use Subtractor as an example, but you can extrapolate to Thor, etc. >

1. Design your basic sound and write your bassline/whatever using Subtractor as a mono (as in, non-stereo) instrument.

2. Plug Subtractor into ch.1 of a mini line mixer.

3. Copy and paste a couple more Subtractors with the same patch, and add them to ch.2 and ch.3 of the line mixer. Pan one about halfway left and one about halfway right (or wherever you like). Bring down their levels a bit.

4. This is the important part > slightly detune the L and R subtractors, AND if you wanna go extra huge, subtly alter some small details of the patch, such as LFO speed, balance between OSC 1 & 2, filter envelope, etc.

5. Put everything in a combinator so you can save the patch, and set up control knobs for things like "unison width" and "detune amount" etc.

6. Now you have a ridiculously huge unison patch that can be dialed up or down as much as you like. I find that making the mini mixer panning maximally wide and using the SSL to bring down the stereo image slightly and pan the whole thing where I want, is a good way to control it.

What is good about this approach, is that -yes- it is harder than a "unison switch" but it can give more complex and nuanced results, such as a gentle hi-pass on the side synths preserve a solid bass, or using the FX send on the mini mixer for the "main" synth only, to give a clearer, more melodic reverb, for example. In other words, it is a perfect example of the strong and weak points of Reason.

samsome wrote:
23 Jul 2019

do they have unison?

thanks

esselfortium

23 Jul 2019

I've found that UN16 sounds pretty good as a send effect, to add more thickness and movement to a sound. As an insert it can feel a bit underwhelming.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Loque

23 Jul 2019

chaosroyale nailed it. Unisone are detuned oscillators, do it yourself - full control!

Malstrom has some multi wave samples too AFAIR.
Reason12, Win10

Ahornberg

24 Jul 2019

Put a handful of SubTractors and a Line Mixer 6:2 in a Combinator and setup one knob for detune and another knob for stereo spread.

scratchnsnifff

24 Jul 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
23 Jul 2019
They do not (well- Thor has a "multi" osc, but it's not stereo), and the old UN16 half-rack FX unit doesn't sound too great, and is not the same as the modern "supersaw" style of unison.
Luckily, this being Reason, there is an easy way to get incredibly huge, powerful, unison. Let's use Subtractor as an example, but you can extrapolate to Thor, etc. >

1. Design your basic sound and write your bassline/whatever using Subtractor as a mono (as in, non-stereo) instrument.

2. Plug Subtractor into ch.1 of a mini line mixer.

3. Copy and paste a couple more Subtractors with the same patch, and add them to ch.2 and ch.3 of the line mixer. Pan one about halfway left and one about halfway right (or wherever you like). Bring down their levels a bit.

4. This is the important part > slightly detune the L and R subtractors, AND if you wanna go extra huge, subtly alter some small details of the patch, such as LFO speed, balance between OSC 1 & 2, filter envelope, etc.

5. Put everything in a combinator so you can save the patch, and set up control knobs for things like "unison width" and "detune amount" etc.

6. Now you have a ridiculously huge unison patch that can be dialed up or down as much as you like. I find that making the mini mixer panning maximally wide and using the SSL to bring down the stereo image slightly and pan the whole thing where I want, is a good way to control it.

What is good about this approach, is that -yes- it is harder than a "unison switch" but it can give more complex and nuanced results, such as a gentle hi-pass on the side synths preserve a solid bass, or using the FX send on the mini mixer for the "main" synth only, to give a clearer, more melodic reverb, for example. In other words, it is a perfect example of the strong and weak points of Reason.

I recommend using 3 separate synths.

If you use three subtractor synths, you’ll get that weird phase laser sound because of the starting point of subtractors oscillator

Also, Europa is the best bet for a modern supersaw by far, the additive nature of Europa lets you use the modifiers to have a weird but useful unison on the oscillator itself ( using the modifier unison) along side the more traditional analog approach which uses the unison module to the right hand side.

Iv gotten many great results with the legacy devices, but you have to build a chain of them and use different synths.

An example of what I meant,

Use one Thor with all 3 oscillators
One malström with both oscillators (pick sawtooth *16 for both)

And a subtractor as a polyphonic sub oscillator

Make the Thor cover octave 2 and 3 among the 3 oscillators
Make the malström 0 and + 1
And the subtractor 0 and -1

Of course use a line mixer and combinator.
Route rotary 1 to filter 1 of Thor and filter A Of malström. Also filter frequency of subtractor

Rotary 2 of combinator to the filter envelopes

Set rotary 3 to the fine tune of the three Thor oscillators. I like to do something like 0 -> -7...0->+10 and 0-> -12 or something

Rotary 3 for the malström set motion as destination and set it to -64-> +11 and -64 -> +13

No change to tuning of subtractor unless you pick the - mode of the phase modifier.
This creates a PWM type of effect for the sawtooth either the minus sign or the multiply sign

Add what ever stereo effects you want I suggest only a chorus as a send FX on the line mixer.

Then reverb and delay use the big mixer (SSL)

Any EQ or compression should go into the output from the line mixer

So just to reiterate, aux FX into line mixer and sound shaping after the line mixer. You can click on the mixer and add something and it auto routes as a send to the line mixer the effect you add will be highlighted and you can add more to the send/AUX via auto route by just adding more FX by clicking on the previous FX.
But to add something to the output click on on the mixer itself and auto route will make sure your putting it to the output

Sorry for the wordy suggestions, Iv found better success with this type of working
samsome wrote:
23 Jul 2019

do they have unison?

thanks
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Jul 2019

Supersaw.zip
(2.54 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Edit: Forgot to mention something. The phase is modulating at different rates per subtractor, so when you first load it you have to wait a bit so it's not all phase-y :D
Last edited by aeox on 28 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.

jlgrimes

26 Jul 2019

Loque wrote:
23 Jul 2019
chaosroyale nailed it. Unisone are detuned oscillators, do it yourself - full control!

Malstrom has some multi wave samples too AFAIR.
Malmstrom actually does a pretty nice supersaw esp once you start combinating.

Supersaws have been Reasons biggest weakness until Europa came out though (assuming you aren't using REs that specialize in Supersaws)

Thor sounds good but is mono.

Reason users had to rely on combinators for the phat sounds.

That said people have gotten great sounds out of using basic Subtractors using Combinators and effects. But it takes time and patience.

chimp_spanner

27 Jul 2019

For super saw stuff out of the box just use Europa. But for an even better one, Antidote all the way!

selig
RE Developer

27 Jul 2019

jlgrimes wrote:
26 Jul 2019

Supersaws have been Reasons biggest weakness until Europa came out though (assuming you aren't using REs that specialize in Supersaws)

Thor sounds good but is mono.
The original super saw (JP8000) was also mono, and no one complained. ;)

These days I'd agree I'd rather use Antidote or Euroropa for a wide stereo spread oscillator, but one could also grab one of many available Combinator patches and never otherwise lift a finger and have instant stereo super saws in Reason (for many years now).
Selig Audio, LLC

Oquasec

27 Jul 2019

Thor should be able to create it's own effect via the modmatrix if you mean making a DIFFERENT unison from the built in chorus or the un device :)
If you mean creating custom effects then use the modmatrix to dial in control points.
I think you can make a ring modulator too somewhere
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EdGrip

27 Jul 2019

And don't forget Megasaur!

Loque

27 Jul 2019

EdGrip wrote:
27 Jul 2019
You are right. This thing can do some amazing super saws. Add a long plate and some delay and you just play around for 30 minutes and forget the world around you. Its just not a stock synth.
Reason12, Win10

Loque

27 Jul 2019

I cannot remember how many Super Saw patches i posted here...But i do it again :-D

This time i had a little fun with programming the S&C Player via a Matrix and the sound itself...man...none of my super saws ever sound the same as before :-D
Attachments
SuperSawSong.zip
(3.82 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Reason12, Win10

samsome

28 Jul 2019

Boombastix wrote:
23 Jul 2019
Use Thor "multi-osc" and dial it up. Use 3 of them for more. Add a little chorus. It's the "biggest" I think of the of the old stock units.
when you say dial it up what u mean?

thanks

Oquasec

28 Jul 2019

Subtractor has a multiply button you can use
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

samsome

28 Jul 2019

selig wrote:
27 Jul 2019
jlgrimes wrote:
26 Jul 2019

but one could also grab one of many available Combinator patches and never otherwise lift a finger and have instant stereo super saws in Reason (for many years now).
where do you grab them from?

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2019

EdGrip wrote:
27 Jul 2019
Does that usually go on sale during black friday?

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2019

aeox wrote:
24 Jul 2019
Supersaw.zip
Forgot to mention something. The phase is modulating at different rates per subtractor, so when you first load it you have to wait a bit so it's not all phase-y :D Guess I could've just changed the phase for each one, but thought it would be cooler to always have the phase changing.

decoder

28 Jul 2019

Oquasec wrote:
28 Jul 2019
Where is this multiply button located on Subtractor?
...I've never heard of that...

Baylo

28 Jul 2019

Oquasec wrote:
28 Jul 2019
It’s a bit late on a Sunday so my thinking/logic might be off, but I’m pretty sure the multiply function in Subtractor is something else entirely.

I think it’s used to have the (phase-shifted) amplitudes of the two oscillators interact - I seem to recall there’s an example in the manual where one saw wave is subtracted from another phase-offset saw wave to create a square wave. The “multiply” function similarly multiplies the two amplitudes together to create a new waveform. I don’t *think* that’s the same as multiplying the actual number of oscillators to get the same effect as unison. Especially as Subtractor is mono.

But I could be wrong, and am happy to be corrected! :-)

decoder

29 Jul 2019

I see what you are saying Baylo, and it totally make sense...

Still, I would like Oquasec to chime in and answer my query...
The location of this elusive multiply button please.

Baylo

30 Jul 2019

decoder wrote:
29 Jul 2019
I see what you are saying Baylo, and it totally make sense...

Still, I would like Oquasec to chime in and answer my query...
The location of this elusive multiply button please.
Next to the Osc 1 and Osc 2 labels. There is a mode button to select between ‘x’, ‘-‘ and ‘o’. ‘X’ would be the multiply mode.

• Information