Trigger Matrix Pattern Sequencer with a Midi Gate

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
owlis

21 Jul 2019

Hi is it possible to trigger the Matrix Pattern Sequencer with a Midi Gate? If not is there some other pattern sequencer (maybe a rack extension?) that does this in the way that Thor does?

For example in the Thor Matrix if I set on of a slot to: Midi Gate > 100 > S. Trig
the sequencer pattern will play from the start from the moment I depress a key on the keyboard which means I can mess around rhythmically by restarting the sequence whenever I want to add more syncopation.
The reason I don't want to do this in thor is because I want a longer sequence ideally 64 (but 32 could work too).

Thanks
Pete

Philup

22 Jul 2019

Kompulsion will do the trick.

Bes
Competition Winner

22 Jul 2019

i have robotic beans step sequencer 2 and i can route a cv from any trigger to the reset input. that does it for me.

don't know how to do that in kompulsion, maybe i should read the manual again
- Certified Reason expert

Reasonable man

22 Jul 2019

Maybe SCRE from Resonistas. It has four possible envelope patterns that can be triggered (at different rates) from c3 to f3 (white notes) on a midi keyboard , either in one shot mode or finger release mode. Could put matrix in a combi and attach the outputs from one (or all 4) envelopes into the cv inputs a back of combi and assaign cv in to pattern enable of the matrix in the programmer i guess.

Jackjackdaw

23 Jul 2019

I think the op wants to do it with Matrix. I have tried this as well. I think the best i could do was map the run button in a combinator and do something with that.

Sequences by Robotic Bean does it very nicely. I'm waiting patiently for the next sale price...

owlis

23 Jul 2019

Thanks everyone I will try those suggestions out and let you know how I go.

Pete

dioxide

23 Jul 2019

Robotic Bean's Sequences is a good option for this:
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... sequences/

owlis

23 Jul 2019

Hi Dioxide. I watched a video for Sequences and that app sems to be geared towards creating melodic patterns. To use it in the way I am describing what is the best method to simply use it as a gate? (so that it functions more like the matrix pattern sequencer).

Thanks!
Pete

rhysonic.com

dioxide

23 Jul 2019

owlis wrote:
23 Jul 2019
Hi Dioxide. I watched a video for Sequences and that app sems to be geared towards creating melodic patterns. To use it in the way I am describing what is the best method to simply use it as a gate? (so that it functions more like the matrix pattern sequencer).
Do you want to trigger it with a Gate or use it as a Gate? Your post says trigger it with a gate, like you would with Thor's Step Sequencer.

Sequences has a Keyboard Trigger Mode which allows you to do what you want – see Kbd Trig at the bottom left of the device. The sequences you program can be as musical or unmusical as you like. If you want you don't have to use any more than a single note.
With four different Playback Modes combined with Keyboard or CV Transpose, the creative possibilities are endless!

Sterioevo

23 Jul 2019

If you just want gates you could use redrum.

Program your 64 step pattern on channel 1 and mute the channel. Then play C4 in a combinator and channel 1 will solo and activate.

The thing about the matrix and redrum is that they will always be tied to the sequencer. If you want to offset and trigger the sequence from step 1 whenever you trigger it (regardless of where in the timeline) you will need to use a RE.

Philup

23 Jul 2019

With the Kompulsion Player, set the device to ARP Mode.

In ARP Mode the pattern will trigger immediately on any key press independent of the master clock but still at clock tempo just like Thor's Sequencer.
GATE2.JPG
GATE2.JPG (66 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
With the Gate tab selected program your gate pattern in one of the 16 "S" lanes (similar to programming the Matrix)
You can move along each tab to set additional parameters to the gated notes of the lane if you want.

There are a lot of bonus gating features and effects in these tabs such as probability triggering, repeat modes like hold and ratchet and multiple loop direction modes.

If you want your gate trigger to modulate a parameter not connected to Kompulsion via MIDI, Flip the rack and link the Gate CV signal of the lane you programmed to the CV in parameter of the device you want to modulate.
GATE.JPG
GATE.JPG (29.95 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
For a device that provides a manually triggered gated signal (Midi or CV) I don't think that there is an option better than Kompulsion.

owlis

23 Jul 2019

Do you want to trigger it with a Gate or use it as a Gate?
Hi Dioxide, sorry I wasn't clear, I want to use it as a gate, ie. play a pad sound and have it cut out rhythmically.
I am trying to set up a reason based setup for live performance that allows me to gate by switching between some prepared gate sequences with maximum flexibility to switch between them or to override them completely and play rhythms by hand sometimes on a roli lightpad, for example.

Cheers
Pete

owlis

23 Jul 2019

Hi Philup thanks for your suggestion of Kompulsion, just to be clear I am only looking for something to create a variety of gated rhythms that I can switch between and retrigger from the start when I want. I don't need the note data as I am playing chords and melodies on a midi keyboard. Is Kompulsion overkill for that?

Pete

Philup

24 Jul 2019

owlis wrote:
23 Jul 2019
Hi Philup thanks for your suggestion of Kompulsion, just to be clear I am only looking for something to create a variety of gated rhythms that I can switch between and retrigger from the start when I want. I don't need the note data as I am playing chords and melodies on a midi keyboard. Is Kompulsion overkill for that?

Pete
What device or device parameter are you triggering with the gate?
A drum machine? a synth? a filter cutoff frequency? a mix channel mute button? all of the above?

owlis

24 Jul 2019

Hi Philup. I am mostly using it for things like filter cutoff frequency and drive, also formant x and y. Definitely not for a drum machine or to trigger individual synth notes.

Philup

25 Jul 2019

I created a quick and dirty song file with the setup for what I think you are trying to do.

Link

If you want to download and trial the Kompulsion feel free to play around with the file.

I am running the CV through the combinator knobs on the bass track for maximum parameter tweaking options through the programmer matrix.
I am using the Aux lane on S3 to modulate the pan of channel 1 of the line mixer connected to the pad track.

Start the song, select the "Play Me Gate" track and hit any key on the keyboard to trigger the gate.

owlis

25 Jul 2019

Hi Philup, that is definitely in the ballpark of what I am trying to achieve. Cheers! I have a couple questions. Why is the Play Me Gate track not connected to anything, shouldn't there be a cv out form that or something? Also what setting is causing the notes being pressed to trigger the gate effect?

Thanks!
Pete

Philup

26 Jul 2019

Why is the Play Me Gate track not connected to anything, shouldn't there be a cv out form that or something?
In Reason, Players need to be attached to something to operate. In this case I used a combinator as a "dummy" device to receive the midi notes from the keyboard and pass the info along to the Kompulson Player.
what setting is causing the notes being pressed to trigger the gate effect?
This button:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (15.17 KiB) Viewed 1232 times

owlis

29 Jul 2019

Right gotcha, wrapping it in a Combinator, really opens up the possibilities.

Thanks
Pete

• Information