remotemap Helper.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mjxl

20 Jul 2019

Hey peeps, I'm not sure where I should post this one but here goes.

I've been adding a couple of lines to remotemap every now and then, and last week I had the idea to make this a bit easier for myself.
Of course things don't get easier by themselves, so I've asked a friend for some tips, after which he pointed me towards VB.net (visual basic).

After watching him create a bunch of functions via teamviewer, and grinding every night after work I've made this small program to help me (or us) out a bit in regards of creating remotemap files/templates.

I do this by opening the .repatch files (older devices need to be wrapped in .cmb's) , from which I filter out all parameters, the device's name and device ID.

In the UI I give the user 3 text inputs which are needed in remotemap:
  • Developer name (under which the devices are listed in Reasons browser)
  • Group name (Osc1, Filter, AmpEnv etc)
  • Name of the physical control on our keyboards (Knob, Fader, Button, Mod Wheel etc etc)
  • Next to the input for the control is a numberiz0r. Set this to 1 to automatically count up. So Knob 1, 2, 3 etc will be added. Set to 0 will ignore the number for inputs like ModWheel, PitchWheel etc.
Next up are 4 buttons and 2 checkboxes:
  • Add Control: pick a parameter, fill in the controls name, attach both.
  • Swap Control: this is to swap the parameters, but leave them in the "group ordering" list.
  • Remove Control: put's the parameter BACK into the list with parameters.
  • Finish Group: when you're done, press this one to send everything to the "final output"
  • checkbox to remove under_scores_from_names
  • and one to Capitalise All The Things (these 2 will happen when you complete the group.)
Oh and there's a button to copy everything to the clipboard once you're done, so it can be pasted directly into the remotemap file. (so create all the groups you want first)

Initial screen:
remoteHelperEmpty2.png
remoteHelperEmpty2.png (28.26 KiB) Viewed 589 times
Complex-1 loaded and setup quite a bit:
remoteHelperComplex1.png
remoteHelperComplex1.png (117.3 KiB) Viewed 589 times

Wanted to demonstrate by trialing an RE, unfortunately Skrock named his Remote items slightly different compared to the items in the patch file.
So far stuff from Propellerhead themselves were 1on1 remote vs patch, but not others. (hence the underscore/capitalisation checkers.)

I might update this in the future, but I'm thinking to do a database driven thing to store evertyhing from the remotemap itself, and add them easily via patch files.
This thing is delivered to you as is, I had fun diving in VB.net. Hope you will enjoy this tool too :)
(I could drop the source code here too if people are interested, I will probably clean it A LOT first tho LOL)
Attachments
RemoteGenerator.zip
(34.77 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Last edited by mjxl on 20 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.

sonicbyte

20 Jul 2019

Wow this could be massive, thanks a lot for sharing this, I will test asap!

mjxl

20 Jul 2019

sonicbyte wrote:
20 Jul 2019
Wow this could be massive, thanks a lot for sharing this, I will test asap!
Sure thing, if you come accross weird stuff let me know :o

I tried to get past most of the stuff with the underscore and capitals, some stuff might be a bit harder to easily replace/fix ofcourse :o

Also take note, it will show items that aren't remoteable, since they come from the save file (sample stuffs and some sequencer items for example)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2019

I'm bumping this in case folk missed it.
Bump!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

23 Jul 2019

I am not really familiar with remote maps. Guess its time to be it...
Reason12, Win10

mjxl

23 Jul 2019

Loque wrote:
23 Jul 2019
I am not really familiar with remote maps. Guess its time to be it...
It's easy as 1,2,3 (almost all the time)
MrFigg wrote:
23 Jul 2019
I'm bumping this in case folk missed it.
Bump!!
spanks :lol:

• Information