The certain tasks in Reason that miss out something and need work-arounds

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Heigen5

19 Jul 2019

The certain tasks in Reason that miss out something and sometimes can be found in somewhere else i.e. when something can be done here and some other thing there. As example you can drop a loop into the audio stripe, you can timestretch it, you can have slices, but misses out everything that Octo-Rex does/has, but as example, you can't change the key of the loop. I think that Reason should merge these things together so you wouldn't need to start scratching your head while producing. Taking an A) here and a B) there and merging it to a One single solution would be something I'd like to see. Maybe Reason's old stuff could stay there as well, but in the 2019 people feel overwhelmed by the half-baked features. For me this is the most essential thing that would make me wanna pay for the upcoming Reason 11. I could be a fanboy and do all the work-arounds like a nerd, but I rather would use that time to write/produce new music.

As example, here's my thread I wrote few years ago about merging many tasks together: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504149&p=384483&hi ... on#p384483

What kind of mergings the rest of you would like to see?

owlymane

22 Jul 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
19 Jul 2019

1. ReCycle inside Reason

2. Be able to speed up or slow down Rex files by 2:
For example, say you have a Rex file that is 70bpm, but your project tempo is 140. The Rex file will automatically adapt to the 140 tempo when added.Instead, It would be nice to be able to multiply or divide the Rex file by 2 if needed. So that even if my bpm is 140, the rex file can still be at 70 bpm

Heigen5

22 Jul 2019

owlymane wrote:
22 Jul 2019
Heigen5 wrote:
19 Jul 2019

1. ReCycle inside Reason

For example, say you have a Rex file that is 70bpm, but your project tempo is 140. The Rex file will automatically adapt to the 140 tempo when added.Instead, It would be nice to be able to multiply or divide the Rex file by 2 if needed. So that even if my bpm is 140, the rex file can still be at 70 bpm
You mean if a rex-loop sounds like you'd want to use it but you'd like it to play it back in a double-slow or double-fast tempo, you could do that? How about also timestretch for the rex-loops? :puf_smile:

owlymane

22 Jul 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
22 Jul 2019

How about also timestretch for the rex-loops? :puf_smile:
Yup that's my workaround :D :thumbs_up:

RealReasonHead

22 Jul 2019

owlymane wrote:
22 Jul 2019
Oh god, this so much! So many times I had to work around this issue of having the REX file play back at double/half the speed because it didn't match the project BPM by a factor of 2. Hate to make some beat at 90 BPM and switch to double time only to find I can't import any of the DnB loops because they will be played back at half the speed. Sure, you can automate the tempo but if you have other audio tracks already recorded and don't want to disable time stretch or just want to hecking do it because convenience you are fucked.

owlymane

22 Jul 2019

RealReasonHead wrote:
22 Jul 2019
owlymane wrote:
22 Jul 2019
Oh god, this so much! So many times I had to work around this issue of having the REX file play back at double/half the speed because it didn't match the project BPM by a factor of 2. Hate to make some beat at 90 BPM and switch to double time only to find I can't import any of the DnB loops because they will be played back at half the speed. Sure, you can automate the tempo but if you have other audio tracks already recorded and don't want to disable time stretch or just want to hecking do it because convenience you are fucked.

I feel you 1000%

dioxide

22 Jul 2019

When you use an External MIDI device, the audio has to come back into Reason using an Audio track. If you use a VST, RE or native device you can add insert effects and save it as a Combinator along with the instrument patch. Ideally the EMI would have its own audio inputs, so you could save the EMI along with Patch Change data and any inserts you might want to add.

Disclaimer: I usually work 100% in the box, so this isn't a feature I need. It's just an observation that currently the EMI is the poor cousin of VST / RE / Native and the user experience is a bit less streamlined.

selig
RE Developer

22 Jul 2019

My wish list for similarly related tasks would be to allow all note "processing" to be "non-destructive" and done completely in the sequencer. This would include quantize, timing offset, transpose (automatable), scale conform, etc. That way, you could get rid of the Tool Window for most of this. Plus, making it non-destructive allows you to explore different quantize/timing/scale effects right in the timeline without affecting the underlying (original) notes. And the ability to SEE these changes to the notes in the timeline would be an added benefit over doing similar things as Players (transpose/scale conform, etc.). Of course, any of these could be written/committed to the track if needed.

One possible handy location for this feature would be in the already useful track inspector, so as not to add more buttons/clutter in the sequencer.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

groggy1

22 Jul 2019

selig wrote:
22 Jul 2019
My wish list for similarly related tasks would be to allow all note "processing" to be "non-destructive" and done completely in the sequencer. This would include quantize, timing offset, transpose (automatable), scale conform, etc. That way, you could get rid of the Tool Window for most of this. Plus, making it non-destructive allows you to explore different quantize/timing/scale effects right in the timeline without affecting the underlying (original) notes. And the ability to SEE these changes to the notes in the timeline would be an added benefit over doing similar things as Players (transpose/scale conform, etc.). Of course, any of these could be written/committed to the track if needed.

One possible handy location for this feature would be in the already useful track inspector, so as not to add more buttons/clutter in the sequencer.
:)
+1

The tools window feels like a relic. I’d like to see it replaced. Non-destructive would be awesome.

• Information