How would you design Midi-out VST support?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
groggy1

18 Jul 2019

I'm not sure how Midi-out will work, when they add it someday. I'm curious what others think.

Some questions:
1) Will Reason show them somehow under your list of Players, and when you drag it to the rack it'll be a VST wrapped in a Player? That seems to make a little bit of sense in that you can stack it with other Players...

BUT, some VSTs (like Reaktor) can have Midi out AND Audio out at the same time. So not sure how that would work.

2) Would it be some sort of "Midi" output on the back of a regular VST? (i.e. like "midi out"?). Would you wire that to the "input" of some sort of special Player that takes Midi inputs?

3) How important is it to be able to route the Midi to *multiple* instruments/Players?

4) Will they even add Midi-out VST support anytime soon, given it will compete with Players?

Any other thoughts?

Loque

19 Jul 2019

RMI?
Reason12, Win10

boingy

19 Jul 2019

Every midi track in the sequencer just needs a drop-down box to choose the input for that track. Any VST in the rack that has a MIDI output will appear in the list, along with the main keyboard/controller (which would be the default)..

That's how the rest of the DAW world does it. Simples.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2019

boingy wrote:
19 Jul 2019
Every midi track in the sequencer just needs a drop-down box to choose the input for that track. Any VST in the rack that has a MIDI output will appear in the list, along with the main keyboard/controller (which would be the default)..

That would be nice, and a Player device that can get Midi input in a similar fashion. Not sure how to best combine it in a player stack. But I suspect PH knows their code better than me :lol: and how to make a sweet implementation that will blow us away!
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

xylyx

19 Jul 2019

Whilst there is a certain simplicity with the way Players currently work, they are a pain when you want to route a Player into a RE, such as AutoArp and then back into another Player. There are hacks using Lectric Panda's CV Player Tap but it can get quite messy - maybe they need to rethink the way the Players currently work and add cabling to them, as well as a way to wrap a VST midi plugin with a Player device at the same time.

boingy

19 Jul 2019

Players need to be added as an "insert fx" on tracks in the sequencer. That can drive an RE or a VST or whatever. If that RE or VST has a MIDI output you can set that to be the input to another midi track, as above.

This is nothing new or revolutionary. It's like PH are determined to ignore decades of DAW evolution and invent a more complicated way to do something simple.

groggy1

19 Jul 2019

boingy wrote:
19 Jul 2019

I hear you. But is this the props way? Although it would be functional, I have a feeling they’ll go for elegance/pop by having some player integration?

You could be right though

• Information