Vocal Mix help.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
boingy

15 Jul 2019

Hi folks,

I need some help with getting my terrible vocals to sit in a mix.

Here are the problems:

1. I can't sing. No, really I can't.
2. I keep trying to sing. Yes, really I do.
3. I just can't make my bad singing sit in the mix.

It's never going to sound golden but there must be a way to make it sound better.

I've had some decent results with other peoples' vocals but no matter what I do with EQ and reverb I just can't get my own voice to sit nicely.

Attached is a snippet of a song I'm working on. 3 stems: drums, synth and vox. I've removed all the processing from the vox so it's quite raw. The challenge is to take the attached Reason file and make it sound better using only stock R9.5 devices.

Help, advice, inspiration and insults are invited!

Edit: File attachment failed. Download it here:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 4406327178

estuary

15 Jul 2019

How do you feel about this ?
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 4820676888

(it's not only using stock Reason 9.5 devices right now, but maybe it can helps somehow)
Just spontaneous 5 minutes trial

boingy

15 Jul 2019

Thank you. :thumbs_up:

I think you've done better in 5 minutes than I have in a week's worth of 5 minute attempts.

I'm OK at EQ'ing other voices but I tend to get hung up on EQ'ing my voice, mostly because I don't like it. And then, of course, I get frustrated and fiddle endlessly with compression and reverb and everything just gets muddier and muddier.

Please can you show me your processing chain, particularly the EQ, compression and reverb settings.

estuary

15 Jul 2019

At first I didn't wanted to tell you exactly what I've done, so you could try to guess, and probably imagine I had EQ, Compression etc ...
Then if the quick mix sounds 'not bad' to you, probably the next sentences will help you a bit :

I did not focus on the EQ/compression at all,
(just added quick HPF ~ 80 Hz (vocal/drum)
- Very soft compression (vocal) using cakewalk
- Random RV7000 reverb (vocal)
- The Echo (vocal) tiny delay / doubler (warm echo setting)

I used the rack extensions : TSAR-1R reverb (vocal)
I believe (to me) this reverb add some color/glue to the sound ... I recommend it

But finally I can tell you 80% I edited on your file was the 'Pitch' on the vocal. (and "slice" a little)

Just in case I send you the file using only :
- RV7000 reverb
- The Echo
- Pitch Edited

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 7884050478

I hope it helps !

--
boingy wrote:
15 Jul 2019
I'm OK at EQ'ing other voices but I tend to get hung up on EQ'ing my voice, mostly because I don't like it. And then, of course, I get frustrated and fiddle endlessly with compression and reverb and everything just gets muddier and muddier.
I know how you feel, because I got exactly same "problem' when I try to mix with my own vocal recording :|

• Information