Reason as 'External Audio Editor' in Ableton Live

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
w1pl0c

13 Jul 2019

So the issue I'm having is that I can get the Ableton clip loaded into Reason (by hitting 'edit' from the Sample Options in the Session View), and I can make changes in Reason.

But I can't get the changes I make to transfer back into Ableton? Anyone know what I am missing? Thanks

napynap

14 Jul 2019

My first thought is that maybe it has something to do with Rewire?
visit http://www.napynap.com to learn more about me. Thank you.

botnotbot

14 Jul 2019

It's a bit convoluted but you should be able to play the sample back into Ableton via a Rewire input, I think. I haven't explored Rewire much, to be honest. Need to look into that a bit because Ableton can be really helpful sometimes. Never thought of setting Reason as an external audio editor anywhere, either. Neat idea.

Another thing to maybe try before Rewire: Bounce your changes to a new sample, then replace the non-bounced version with the bounced version on the timeline before you save and close Reason (or whatever the expected process is for you when using Reason as an external editor in Ableton).

Curious to hear what works, if anything. Good luck!

Soeno

14 Jul 2019

dioxide

14 Jul 2019

w1pl0c wrote:
13 Jul 2019
So the issue I'm having is that I can get the Ableton clip loaded into Reason (by hitting 'edit' from the Sample Options in the Session View), and I can make changes in Reason.

But I can't get the changes I make to transfer back into Ableton? Anyone know what I am missing? Thanks
The External Audio Editor feature of Live is meant to be used with an audio editor like Soundforge or Audacity where it will open a WAV, you make your edits, save it as a WAV and Live loads the updated WAV file.

It's interesting that you can set up any app in this way, but Reason is more like a DAW, so it's not going to work like it would for Audacity. Opening your WAV in Reason means you have to manually export it and import back into Live. Again, it's an interesting idea what you're doing, but it isn't what that feature is meant to do.

w1pl0c

14 Jul 2019

Thanks for the replies. I have avoided rewire because its always used too much CPU for my setup, but I will try the bouncing in place method. I've also tried using Recycle as the Editor, but I run into the same issue when saving in the app.

• Information