Hitting a key at high velocity breaks some Rack extensions for me

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Mistro17

11 Jul 2019

This happens with NN-XT, Europa, and I'm trying out a trial of Aquios X4 Workstation. Sometimes I get into a groove with chord progressions and when I hit a note at a high velocity (If I hit a key hard), the device seems to break, like the sound turns all weird. The NN-XT and Aquios goes very low, and in Europa the sound changes to this oscillating sound which changes the entire patch inserted. Only closing and reopening the saved song file brings the sounds back.

I'm not sure if it's my keyboard or some other factor that causes this to happen. It's very annoying. Anyone else here ever experienced this issue?

My system specs-
Windows 10
i7-8700k @3.7
32gb RAM
GTX 980Ti

Boombastix
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2019

Probably your keyboard. Just draw in notes with full velocity and see what happens. I bet it works fine. Better yet add a midi device to check the incoming midi note then you can see what velocity the keyboard transmits.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

jam-s

11 Jul 2019

It could also be clipping your outputs or saturating a compressor/limiter in the signal chain. Make sure you have your (peak) levels in check.

raymondh

12 Jul 2019

Also not ruling out a mechanical issue. If you hit the *desk* hard while holding a key down, do you get a problem?

Just in case there's a loose connection somewhere....

Mistro17

12 Jul 2019

Thanks! I will take all this into consideration. I do have a strong feeling I need a new keyboard. It's an old Akai MPK49 given to me 2 years ago. I'm having a hard time parting with it though because I like it so much.

chimp_spanner

13 Jul 2019

I can't think of any way that high MIDI note velocities would cause device errors. No note can be any greater than 127, so if they weren't capable of responding to it then you'd know by now I'm sure! I'm inclined to agree with the other poster; this sounds mechanical. Could be something as simple as desk vibrations knocking something loose or causing an intermittent connection. Try putting the keyboard on your lap and doing the same thing.

• Information