Automating Filter cutoff for multiple instruments

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tobypearce

10 Jul 2019

Hi,

This is the kind of thing that I love about Reason, but I can't figure out the simplest workflow.

I have 3 synths and want to control the filter cutoff for each of them via a single automation lane.
I'd like the scale the amount up or down for each synth, so that the one automation line going from 0 - 100% has the right amount of effect on each synth.

I've created a separate combinator with track to control this, but I'm trying to find the easiest set up. It's some kind of CV splitting and basic CV controlled, possibly with the combinator control. What's the simplest method?
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

guitfnky

10 Jul 2019

I think Thor has four CV outs, right? I’m not a huge Thor user, but if it has an assignable knob (that you would automate with), you could use the programmer section to send that value to the first three CV outs, and save the need for a splitter.
Last edited by guitfnky on 10 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

diminished
Competition Winner

10 Jul 2019

I'd go with Thor, using its CV outs to control the cutoff freq of all synths. With the mod matrix you could then assign amount & scale. As a source, select one of Thor's big knobs and automate it with one automation lane
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

BRIGGS

10 Jul 2019

Is the combinator not working for you?
r11s

mon

10 Jul 2019

I would also do it with a combi. Min/max values will work similarly to scale.
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

guitfnky

10 Jul 2019

I don’t think using a combi is the best answer, since he’s specifically asking for the simplest solution (which I take to mean the least amount of routing and devices). if you do it with a combi, you would then have to add a CV splitter, at the very least, no?

zoidkirb

10 Jul 2019

If all three synths are in one combi you can assign the one rotator to change your cutoff by different amounts each

MannequinRaces

10 Jul 2019

Maybe buy Frame CV Generator for $9 and call it a day.

Philup

10 Jul 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
10 Jul 2019
If all three synths are in one combi you can assign the one rotator to change your cutoff by different amounts each
This is the easiest way. You can assign a single combinator knob to the cutoff for each synth and you can set the range for each synth all on one place. You even have the ability to switch the polarity of the values eg. one filter opens as the other closes.

This may offer some guidance

You could do the same with a CV splitter and individual tweaking on the CV input parameter on each synth (if the developer put one there). However, with the combinator matrix, everything is in one place and input parameters are easier to fine tune.

Tweak

11 Jul 2019

For me this is absolutely what the combinator was setup to facilitate - no need for other devices. As mentioned by others, simply combine the synths, then map the filter cutoff of each to a single combinator rotary.

guitfnky

11 Jul 2019

that does sound like a good solution. does that work if you want different MIDI going to each instrument? I can’t remember how instrument stacking in a combi is supposed to work, since I never do it. 😆

splitpen

11 Jul 2019

guitfnky wrote:
11 Jul 2019
that does sound like a good solution. does that work if you want different MIDI going to each instrument? I can’t remember how instrument stacking in a combi is supposed to work, since I never do it. 😆
You can set the working range of each instrument in the combinator.
As long you give each instrument his own range (without overlap) it is possible.
Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjzYHe3D8f8
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

Heigen5

11 Jul 2019

Combi would be my solution as well. Just combine all the synths and map them to the knob of choice. CV b/s - I never do CV for stuff like this because it's like still using morse to communicate.

Philup

11 Jul 2019

guitfnky wrote:
11 Jul 2019

Key Splitting is your best option here.

This works really well for live performance.
Extra Bonus - when you Use as singe instance of the Morfin Crossfader you can double the amount of splits you can do in one combinator.

However, If you want to maintain the full key range fore each synth and send different midi commands to each synth you may be missing the point of the combinator as it is designed to "combine" individual synths into one "super synth"

guitfnky

11 Jul 2019

Philup wrote:
11 Jul 2019
guitfnky wrote:
11 Jul 2019

Key Splitting is your best option here.

This works really well for live performance.
Extra Bonus - when you Use as singe instance of the Morfin Crossfader you can double the amount of splits you can do in one combinator.

However, If you want to maintain the full key range fore each synth and send different midi commands to each synth you may be missing the point of the combinator as it is designed to "combine" individual synths into one "super synth"
yeah, I was more asking out of curiosity than anything. I don’t really need to stack different instruments playing the same thing—my ears don’t have that kind of attention span. 😂 the other idea—using multiple instruments all playing different things, but with one control setting the filter for all of them—that sounds pretty intriguing to me.

either way, this is the kind of stuff that makes Reason awesome. 😃

Philup

12 Jul 2019

the other idea—using multiple instruments all playing different things, but with one control setting the filter for all of them—that sounds pretty intriguing to me.
Sure, set the combinator up to control your synth filters with a single knob. Then, Instead of creating/recording a midi track for the combinator, Right click/ctrl click each synth within the combinator one at a time and create a separate MIDI track for each one.

tobypearce

12 Jul 2019

I've tried to say thank-you a couple of times already - obviously I am not pressing submit correctly!
The Thor option is good for me as it's a single place and via the matrix I can control the amount of filter opening on each of the synths.

The combinator options is also good but I would like to keep the synths in separate channels for mixing and sends.

Thanks again.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Philup

12 Jul 2019

Another option if you feel like throwing money at the solution:

Morpher

• Information