Reason Vs FL Studio sound comparison

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Kushest

09 Jul 2019

Hey what's up everyone. I'm new to this site but have been using Reason since it was released in the 90's. I always tell people that the music that comes out of Reason sounds much better than the sound that comes out of other daw's like FL Studio.
I'd like to know other people's opinions on wether or not you think Reason sounds better than FL studio.
I personally feel like Reason adds it's own saturation and warmth that gives the final mix a very pleasing sound versus the super digital sound of other daw's.

To make things easier I made a video with a quick beat I made in each program to compare the two side by side.
Check out the video and tell me which one you think sounds better..
https://youtu.be/GV83snbjvCI

I
:reason: Kushest :reason:
Reason user since it's release in the 90's.
I am also a YouTuber and have lots of tutorials and videos using Reason.
Check out my channel and subscribe
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-fCr ... QGsOM3Sb_Q

selig
RE Developer

09 Jul 2019

FWIW… Reason does not add ANY saturation or "warmth" in any way.
The only way to get this effect in Reason is to intentionally add it with an RE or VST.
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

09 Jul 2019

selig wrote:
09 Jul 2019
FWIW… Reason does not add ANY saturation or "warmth" in any way.
The only way to get this effect in Reason is to intentionally add it with an RE or VST.
Or with certain stock plugins ;)

owlymane

09 Jul 2019

Kushest wrote:
09 Jul 2019
Hey what's up everyone. I'm new to this site but have been using Reason since it was released in the 90's. I always tell people that the music that comes out of Reason sounds much better than the sound that comes out of other daw's like FL Studio.
I'd like to know other people's opinions on wether or not you think Reason sounds better than FL studio.
I personally feel like Reason adds it's own saturation and warmth that gives the final mix a very pleasing sound versus the super digital sound of other daw's.

To make things easier I made a video with a quick beat I made in each program to compare the two side by side.
Check out the video and tell me which one you think sounds better..
https://youtu.be/GV83snbjvCI

I
Maybe in the 90s or early 2000s I also felt like FL Studio (well...fruity loops as it was called) had some kind of "layer" in its sound quality. But today it's not the case at all. FL today is considered as top-notch as any other professional DAW in the market.

Recent songs entirely made on FL (incl. mix and master):

chaosroyale

09 Jul 2019

Oh Jesus not this again. Let's cut to the chase-

All modern DAWs sound exactly the same. They use the same mathematical summing processes. They all have practically infinite headroom and a flat frequency response. The only difference is how the workflow or interface of each DAW can influence *you* to create slight differences in your mix, perhaps without realizing.

For example: different pan laws, fader responses, and width of Q on EQ, might lead you to find that your mixes "naturally" come out wider in one DAW, but someone with a different mixing touch might find the opposite. However, the DAW itself is not coloring the sound at all.

ltbrunt00

09 Jul 2019

I use Studio one quite often and make the same exact music in both DAWS. Months after making songs I cannot tell which daw they were made in other than most of what I make is in Reason. Until I open Studio One and look at song history do I realize a song was made in Studio One. On one occasion I thought one of my reason songs disappeared only to discover after the panic that it was made in Studio One. Just saying they all seem to sound the same. Same goes for Bitwig.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Oquasec

09 Jul 2019

Yeah In terms of sound design & stuff I wouldn't really compare the two at all.
Propellerhead is comparable to komplete in that regard.
FL Studio is just a vst bridge that started out as a midi sequencer.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Karim
Competition Winner

10 Jul 2019

FL Studio is a VST Bridge ???

You better change your pusher my friend.

you have no idea what you're talking about
Oquasec wrote:
09 Jul 2019
Yeah In terms of sound design & stuff I wouldn't really compare the two at all.
Propellerhead is comparable to komplete in that regard.
FL Studio is just a vst bridge that started out as a midi sequencer.
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

motuscott

10 Jul 2019

DAW fight! :clap:
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Wobbleburger

10 Jul 2019

Not sure why this is relevant. This kind of stuff is always popping up on the Facebook Reason groups.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

reggie1979

10 Jul 2019

FL studio sounds better on PC, Reason sounds better on Mac.

chaosroyale

10 Jul 2019

I hope this is a joke, because this is objectively not true. There is no "sound" to a modern DAW.
reggie1979 wrote:
10 Jul 2019
Last edited by chaosroyale on 10 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.

motuscott

10 Jul 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
10 Jul 2019
Proper respect, Sir!
You have left me in a state where I am unable to determine if I'm stupider for having read what you have written or if I should just continue to systematically destroy my brain atoms one by one.

Oquasec

10 Jul 2019

In terms of sound quality there is no best option because most stock plugins do not compete with third party plugins.
Very few daws are built in a way that you could produce mostly with stock with very little problems.
Producer/Programmer.

guitfnky

10 Jul 2019

pretty sure the guy’s just trying to jump start his youtube channel. saw the same post on a Reason FB group. I’d be surprised to hear from him again on here, tbh.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

EnochLight

10 Jul 2019

Oquasec wrote:
10 Jul 2019
In terms of sound quality there is no best option because most stock plugins do not compete with third party plugins.
Very few daws are built in a way that you could produce mostly with stock with very little problems.
Categorically false.

Live, Logic, Bitwig, and Studio One (among others) all come with stock instruments, utilities, and devices that can easily allow you to produce. Have you ever actually used another DAW aside from Reason?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

reggie1979

10 Jul 2019

motuscott wrote:
10 Jul 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
10 Jul 2019
Proper respect, Sir!
You have left me in a state where I am unable to determine if I'm stupider for having read what you have written or if I should just continue to systematically destroy my brain atoms one by one.
Jesus, it was a joke.

Oquasec

10 Jul 2019

EnochLight wrote:
10 Jul 2019
Oquasec wrote:
10 Jul 2019
Categorically false.

Live, Logic, Bitwig, and Studio One (among others) all come with stock instruments, utilities, and devices that can easily allow you to produce. Have you ever actually used another DAW aside from Reason?
Protools, Ableton,FL Studio, Reason, Cubase and presonus have industry grade stock plugins.
There's 25 daws on the market however, without native access to those plugins...
Producer/Programmer.

EnochLight

10 Jul 2019

Oquasec wrote:
10 Jul 2019
Protools, Ableton,FL Studio, Reason, Cubase and presonus have industry grade stock plugins.
There's 25 daws on the market however, without native access to those plugins...
Live, Logic, Bitwig, Studio One, FL Studio, Reason, Cubase, and Pro Tools are all the heavy hitters most popular for producing music. You've just admitted that these all have industry grade stock plugins, which makes all of them capable of producing great sounding music without ever installing 1 VST.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oquasec

10 Jul 2019

There's maybe 3 or 4 tools maximum that don't run vst format. [Reaktor]
Or don't run just vst format.
Producer/Programmer.

motuscott

10 Jul 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
10 Jul 2019
motuscott wrote:
10 Jul 2019

Proper respect, Sir!
Jesus, it was a joke.
I got that. I was joking too

reggie1979

10 Jul 2019

Oh, sorry.

NekujaK

10 Jul 2019

The DAW that sounds the best is the one used by the best musicians, best producers, and best engineers.

In other words, how good a DAW sounds is all up to you.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

reasonsuser88

10 Jul 2019

NekujaK wrote:
10 Jul 2019
The DAW that sounds the best is the one used by the best musicians, best producers, and best engineers.
Pro Tools? That's it. I give up. Who wants to buy my license?
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

NekujaK

10 Jul 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
10 Jul 2019
NekujaK wrote:
10 Jul 2019
Pro Tools? That's it. I give up. Who wants to buy my license?
Nope, that's just it - any DAW qualifies. The only thing that matters is the talent using it.

To look at it another way... let's say I have a $20,000 vintage Gibson Les Paul guitar, and Eddie Van Halen is standing next to me with a $75 no-name piece of crap from Walmart. We both play. Much to my dismay, Eddie always sounds better than me.

Or, let's say I pull up Massive X in Reason, while Jordan Rudess pulls up a Subtractor. We both play. I sound like crap, Jordan sounds brilliant... all day long :lol:

It's never about the gear.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

• Information