Individual drum samples/sounds

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
bluzdogs

06 Jul 2019

Hi everyone, hope you are all having a great holiday weekend!

I'm working on drums in Kong but I'm having a hard time finding individual "regular" drum sounds such as those used in rock, metal, blues, etc.

There don't appear to be very many included with Reason so my question is what's the best way to to get my hands on some without breaking the bank.

I have 30+GB of .mp3 sounds from Magix Musicmaker but I'm having issues getting them to work in Reason. "filetype not recognized" is the most common error I see.

What are some lower priced sites where I can pick up drum sounds? I was on my way to Loopmasters when I decided to post my question here.

Thanks everyone!!

Popey
Competition Winner

07 Jul 2019

Is there any drums you like in any of the dr octorex drum rex loops? I only ask as if you click on a rex loop in reasons browser you can see the individual drums and take individual samples from the loops if you like them. You may already know this so apologies if so.

Spaceship

07 Jul 2019

Use audacity to change your mp3s into wavs.
Last edited by Spaceship on 08 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.

bluzdogs

07 Jul 2019

Thanks! I called myself replying to this thread earlier today but it's not here.

Before I step completely back into doofus mode, I tried to use some of the loops from my Musicmaker Soundpools. They're in wav format but Reason won't recognize them. Haven't tried converting them yet but I thought (erroneously apparently) wav was wav was wav.

Now, I have my doofus suit on so....

I don't know why or how I was unable to see them for the last month or so but all of a sudden a LOT of drum samples appeared in the Reason browser under Kong files.

Before today, I could only view/load kit patches for Kong. When I'd expand the individual percussion instrument folders they were always empty. No clue what happened.

Anyway, thanks again for the information!

Boombastix
Competition Winner

07 Jul 2019

mp3? Just drag n drop them into the sequencer. Chop up, make a Rex, save as new sample, all the usual functions. Then drop into Kong etc...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

bluzdogs

07 Jul 2019

Boombastix wrote:
07 Jul 2019
mp3? Just drag n drop them into the sequencer. Chop up, make a Rex, save as new sample, all the usual functions. Then drop into Kong etc...
Thanks that will be my next experiment.

dan_g

08 Jul 2019

bluzdogs wrote:
07 Jul 2019

Before today, I could only view/load kit patches for Kong. When I'd expand the individual percussion instrument folders they were always empty. No clue what happened.
this sounds like you had the kong patch browser open instead of the sample browser. but im not sure how this behaves now (since the new browser was introduced). it could also be that you also see all samples even when browsing device patches. i will check that later when i come home from work.

EDIT: Just checked. when browsing kong patches, no samples are visible. so make sure you close the orange indicator at the top to see all files in the folders!

regards,
Daniel
Last edited by dan_g on 08 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

bluzdogs

08 Jul 2019

Boombastix wrote:
07 Jul 2019
mp3 isn't a problem. Just stymied by certain wavs not being recognized. I'll run them through Audacity or Any Audio Converter to see if re-encoding them makes a difference.

Thanks for the help!

bluzdogs

12 Jul 2019

dan_g wrote:
08 Jul 2019
bluzdogs wrote:
07 Jul 2019

this sounds like you had the kong patch browser open instead of the sample browser. but im not sure how this behaves now (since the new browser was introduced). it could also be that you also see all samples even when browsing device patches. i will check that later when i come home from work.

EDIT: Just checked. when browsing kong patches, no samples are visible. so make sure you close the orange indicator at the top to see all files in the folders!

regards,
Daniel
Thanks, Daniel! Somehow I missed your reply.

• Information