Old song files without extension

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
crawlink

25 Jun 2019

Hi everyone!

I have a question concerning old Reason song files, and could not find an answer anywhere, so thought someone here might know?

I have some old Reason song files dating back to 2004 which I am trying to open in Reason Lite. They where made on a Mac and have no extension, so I thought I would try the old extensions used in previous versions of Reason: .rns and .reason. But I am getting a "This song cannot be opened" error every time. Would anyone know about this or have a clue what the problem could be?

Thanks!

esselfortium

25 Jun 2019

A full version of Reason should be able to open them, but Reason Lite can only open songs made in Reason Lite.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

diminished
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2019

Reason Lite misses a few of those old school devices like Malström, ECF-42, RV-7 and COMP-1 etc.
I also don't think renaming works because of different file headers and structure, but even if it did and you renamed your old projects to *.relt (the Reason Lite file extension), chances are you used one of those devices mentioned above and therefore cannot open the file. You need Reason Full for that.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

crawlink

26 Jun 2019

Damn. Thanks a lot for your kind answers!

• Information