Use Remote instead of automation?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tallguy

20 Jun 2019

Much to my surprise (and annoyance), I can't seem to automate the "Brilliance" in Arturia's CS-80. But it can be modulated through MID remote.

So here is the question. Is there a hack like some rack extension or VST that allows me to control an instrument using remote, or is that even possible in principle?

artotaku

20 Jun 2019

tallguy wrote:
20 Jun 2019
Much to my surprise (and annoyance), I can't seem to automate the "Brilliance" in Arturia's CS-80. But it can be modulated through MID remote.

So here is the question. Is there a hack like some rack extension or VST that allows me to control an instrument using remote, or is that even possible in principle?
Not with Remote but it might be controllable via Advanced MIDI, EMI in Reason and MIDI loop back driver.
I don´t have the CS-80 but in a quick test I have been able to control the Europa VST via EMI so it might work for the CS-80 as well.
Normally, items that are remotable are also controllable via MIDI CC.

1. Install a free MIDI loop back driver (e. g. loopMIDI by Tobias Erichsen) and add a MIDI loopback port. Don´t know about Mac but might be similar
2. Open Reason and in Edit -> Preferences -> Sync -> Choose the MIDI loopback port as Bus A
3. Create an instance of Arturia CS-80
4. In Reason Rack open the Advanced MIDi Device panel on the Hardware Device and choose the Arturia CS-80 on the first MIDI channel
5. Create an instance of an EMI, select the MIDI loop back port and try out sending different MIDI CCs to find out what CC controls the "Brilliance"

You could now automate the EMI to control the Brilliance.

tallguy

25 Jun 2019

Thanks for getting back. Good grief. That's not a quick workaround. I may hold off for now on that one and submit a feature request to Arturia.

• Information