Drum Sequencer bug? Automating pattern changes. (Latest Reason version)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stxlm

19 Jun 2019

Drum Sequencer seems to have some issues, hmm? Although I didn't see a bug post about this issue. (Why no bug report subforum?)

Today was the first time I tried to use the pattern aspect of it, chaining/changing patterns via an automation lane. And the patterns do change, but are all messed up, stuttery and *not* playing the patterns as programmed. While attempting to play the sequence, the player appear "hung", not doing the pattern play animations. The same faults in the patterns manifests when I render the sequence.

And it seems I can't choose "Pattern Select" in the main sequencer "Track Parameter Automation" dropdown menu. I have to record pattern changes manual to get the automation lane to appear. I'd call that more of an oversight than a bug. Same is true for ABL 3, btw. I haven't tried other pattern devices.

Tried to attach project file zipped. Couldn't! This is weird.

buddard
RE Developer

19 Jun 2019

Yes, the current pattern system for REs leaves a lot to be desired, unfortunately. Realtime recording of pattern changes is completely useless. It's because every pattern change is recorded "unquantized", and to make matters worse, the pattern offset is set to the exact point where you switch patterns, so the pattern will almost always go out of sync un playback unless you have impeccable timing. And REs are expected to respect pattern offsets at all times since they might be programmed intentionally.

The only useful way to arrange patterns that I've found is to paint them manually in the sequencer.

The easiest way to create a pattern lane is by Alt-clicking one of the pattern buttons. If that's not possible, you first have to create a track för the device, and then right-click on the track and choose Create Pattern/Loop Lane. Not super obvious! I have no idea why Pattern Select won't show up in the automation menu, too.

stxlm

19 Jun 2019

buddard wrote:
19 Jun 2019

The only useful way to arrange patterns that I've found is to paint them manually in the sequencer.
That's exactly what I did! Too bad I wasn't able to make that clear. But do you mean I need to not draw the pattern changes exactly on a bar, or this stuttering will happen?

buddard
RE Developer

19 Jun 2019

stxlm wrote:
19 Jun 2019
buddard wrote:
19 Jun 2019

That's exactly what I did! Too bad I wasn't able to make that clear. But do you mean I need to not draw the pattern changes exactly on a bar, or this stuttering will happen?
Sorry, I thought you were talking about realtime recording. No, drawing the changes exactly on a bar should be totally fine!

reggie1979

19 Jun 2019

If I may:

-open whatever drum program with an instance of "drum sequencer"
-make patterns (it could just be random for sake)
-Alt click that pattern area, leaving a pattern sequence in the sequencer.
-Manually draw in patterns

Do you experience the same thing? That would definitely be a bug, but I'm not getting that behavior here.

tanni

20 Jun 2019

buddard wrote:
19 Jun 2019
Yes, the current pattern system for REs leaves a lot to be desired, unfortunately. Realtime recording of pattern changes is completely useless.
full agreement from my side !
you also cant switch the 8 patterns with Remote control directly. You have to switch the pattern one after another in circle, only up or downwards back-to-back ! Who had this invented ???? This is complete nonsense and idiodic for live-performances !!

I also can't understand why such things in Reason are more and more half-baked.

zoidkirb

20 Jun 2019

Sometimes my pattern select automation gets bugged. It's pretty rare. The solution for me is to make my automation clips much shorter, like 1 bar long seems to fix it.

stxlm

20 Jun 2019

Thanks everyone for your input!

I opened the project today, and it behaved exactly the same.

So I deleted the pattern lane, made a new one by right clicking the DS track and selecting "Create Pattern/Loop lane".

I then drew in the patterns exactly like they appeared before, same lengths and order. (Between 1/2 and 8 bars in length.)

This time it WORKED! Let's hope it stays that way.

16161d

20 Jun 2019

Realtime tempo synced changes are possible with a combinator and some free CV rack extensions. Stick your instrument and player in a combinator and set CV 1 input to pattern change and set the scale from 1 - 8. Download and create an Aftermath Audio CV8X4 CV Generator and set it's 8 dials to - 0, 14, 32, 48, 71, 85, 105, 127 (these are the CV values that will select our pattern via the combinator)

Download and create a Robotic Bean Select CV Switch, and connect the 8 outputs from CV8X4 into the 8 inputs on the back of the Select CV Switch device. Connect the CV Out from Select CV Switch to the Combinators CV 1 input and set it to 'Unipolar'.

Using the buttons on Select CV Switch you can now map these to a controller and trigger them live, and they will be in sync rather than change pattern immediately. Using the Snap setting on Select CV Switch you can adjust the division at which it snaps, up to a whole bar if you want your pattern to play through fully before changing.

This is only really useful for if you want live pattern changing though, if you're just editing then it will probably be cleaner to work with the pattern data rather than the CV note lanes. I've attached an example patch. I know it isn't exactly what you were after but may be of interest to others who want the pattern changes quantised.
Attachments
CvSelectDrumSeq.zip
example
(8.68 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

Wobbleburger

20 Jun 2019

stxlm wrote:
19 Jun 2019
Drum Sequencer seems to have some issues, hmm? Although I didn't see a bug post about this issue. (Why no bug report subforum?)

Today was the first time I tried to use the pattern aspect of it, chaining/changing patterns via an automation lane. And the patterns do change, but are all messed up, stuttery and *not* playing the patterns as programmed. While attempting to play the sequence, the player appear "hung", not doing the pattern play animations. The same faults in the patterns manifests when I render the sequence.

And it seems I can't choose "Pattern Select" in the main sequencer "Track Parameter Automation" dropdown menu. I have to record pattern changes manual to get the automation lane to appear. I'd call that more of an oversight than a bug. Same is true for ABL 3, btw. I haven't tried other pattern devices.

Tried to attach project file zipped. Couldn't! This is weird.
I've run into the same thing. There are definitely some bugs with Drum Seq
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

• Information