Control voltage from modular into reason and vice versa

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dannyF

15 Jun 2019

So Two Parts....
1) Wondering if it was possible to send real CV's into reason? How would this be done?

2)
I saw a video from Peff routing a RPG out through thor out his soundcard and into a Oberheim. That was reason 4.
As far as Peff's example, is that still considered good, or the best way to send Reason's CV's out?
http://www.peff.com/journal/2009/06/12/ ... og-synths/

Loque

15 Jun 2019

AFAIK its just CV->Audio convertin in Reason, send it to your hardware as audio signal and job done. Can also be done vice versa. Thor can convert between audio<->CV, so yes, it should still work.

Someone created a dedicated RE bundle to help with this task:
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/pro ... io-bundle/

This one does nearly the same:
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... dio-to-cv/

Again, its just Audio<->CV convertion and this can done in several ways, including Thor - the allmighty synth!

Maybe someone else can chime in, who has more experience with modular hardware.
Reason12, Win10

kungubu

15 Jun 2019

And you need a DC-coupled audio interface. Regular audio intefaces usually block DC voltage, as well as AC below audio rate.

selig
RE Developer

16 Jun 2019

Check out Expert Sleepers line of interfaces for converting from DAW to Eurorack and back:
https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk

I am specifically interested in the ES8:
https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es8.html
Selig Audio, LLC

mjxl

16 Jun 2019

There's also the RE from the Expert Sleepers that selig mentioned: https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... ontroller/

Faastwalker

17 Jun 2019

kungubu wrote:
15 Jun 2019
And you need a DC-coupled audio interface. Regular audio intefaces usually block DC voltage, as well as AC below audio rate.
Spotted this video over the weekend. Looks like an affordable way to get a DC coupled interface, which are often on the pricey side. Not the most comprehensive feature set. But looks like a decent option at this price;

dannyF

11 Jul 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
17 Jun 2019
kungubu wrote:
15 Jun 2019
Spotted this video over the weekend. Looks like an affordable way to get a DC coupled interface, which are often on the pricey side. Not the most comprehensive feature set. But looks like a decent option at this price;

Is it just the Komplete 6 that has dc coupled or will the other Komplete audio interfaces also have it? ie Komplete Audio 2 ?

buddard
RE Developer

11 Jul 2019

I'm using the Expert Sleepers ES-8 to interface between Reason and my modular, and it works perfectly!
I recently expanded it with an ES-6 for extra inputs.
In total that gives me 8 outputs and 10 inputs, all DC coupled and available as audio inputs/outputs on Reason's hardware interface.
I could expand it even further by adding for example an ES-3 to get 6 more outputs, but I'm good for now, I think.

I use the ES-8 together with my Focusrite interface as an Aggregate Device in macOS.

For sending pitch CV, I use the Silent Way Voice Controller RE, which calibrates itself for the oscillator it's controlling by listening to it via an audio input.

For sending and receiving modulation signals and gates I use our own CV-I/O Bundle, which I actually wrote because I needed them for my own rig. ;)

selig
RE Developer

12 Jul 2019

buddard wrote:
11 Jul 2019
I'm using the Expert Sleepers ES-8 to interface between Reason and my modular, and it works perfectly!
I recently expanded it with an ES-6 for extra inputs.
In total that gives me 8 outputs and 10 inputs, all DC coupled and available as audio inputs/outputs on Reason's hardware interface.
I could expand it even further by adding for example an ES-3 to get 6 more outputs, but I'm good for now, I think.

I use the ES-8 together with my Focusrite interface as an Aggregate Device in macOS.

For sending pitch CV, I use the Silent Way Voice Controller RE, which calibrates itself for the oscillator it's controlling by listening to it via an audio input.

For sending and receiving modulation signals and gates I use our own CV-I/O Bundle, which I actually wrote because I needed them for my own rig. ;)
Great to hear, and thanks for the details on the ES-8 - if I end up going the ES-8 route I'll definitely get your REs for CV I/O.

For now, my Novation SL mkIII converts two note channels from Reason to the Eurorack, including one modulation channel (but a lower resolution that I'd ideally like). And the Zoom L-20 gives me tons of individual inputs back into Reason (but they are DC blocked, so no CV modulation), as well as four audio channels from Reason into the mixer.

But one of these days I'm sure the ES-8 will end up in my rack (will have to get a new rack to fit it in, but that's another story…).
Selig Audio, LLC

buddard
RE Developer

12 Jul 2019

selig wrote:
12 Jul 2019
But one of these days I'm sure the ES-8 will end up in my rack (will have to get a new rack to fit it in, but that's another story…).
You always need another rack! ;)

O1B

25 Jul 2019

Nice FIND, FW!!!

I love my old one - but - the Black One. Nice.
$250.. nice Price.

Thank you!
Connect, create, and collaborate with our six-in, six-out audio interface. Featuring high-definition recording, ultra-low latency, and flexible connectivity, AUDIO 6 brings your whole setup together. You can plug in mics, guitars, and synths, create send and return loops with effects, and control synths and drum machines. Plus, you get all the software you need to capture performances, build songs, and polish recordings – bring any idea to life.
Faastwalker wrote:
17 Jun 2019
kungubu wrote:
15 Jun 2019

Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2019

If you go with a standard audio interface it needs to be DC coupled AND it needs to be able to produce HIGH voltage to get the full CV out range. Presonus Studio does this, and I believe their smallest is cheaper than Expertsleepers + plus the SW bundle is really nice too.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Faastwalker

25 Jul 2019

After much research & deliberation I've settled on going with an Expert Sleepers ES-3 & a new audio interface that has ADAT i/o (almost certainly a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20). This will give 8 outputs over ADAT from Reason. This can be expanded with an ES-6 to provide 6 inputs. Will also of course be grabbing the Robotic Bean CV i/o RE's to facilitate the connections in Reason.

For a long time I was convinced the ES-8 was the way to go. But it's an expensive option, costing more than the ES-3 & ES-6 combined. I was also put off by the need to set it up as a 2nd / aggregate audio interface. Apparently this is fairly painless on a Mac. But PC requires the use of a 3rd party audio driver, such as ASIO4ALL. Spending all that money on the module & then needing to rely on a 3rd party driver didn't sound like the way to go. The ES-8 does also have ADAT i/o. But buying this & still needing to get hold of an ADAT i/o capable audio interface would be a very pricey solution. So the ES-3 option + audio interface with ADAT i/o won out.

I also looked at various MIDI to CV converters, namely the Hexinverter Mutant Brain. Good, affordable option. But no inputs & there were some questions regarding accuracy, timing etc with the MIDI > CV conversion. Not sure if these are founded or not. But it definitely looks like the audio to CV conversion is the much better option in this regard + outputs this way can be audio or CV in origin.

Have an ES-3 on pre-order & just about to pull the trigger on a 2nd gen 18i20, which have dropped greatly in price since the 3rd gen series appeared. Phew! Only took me about a year to get to this point! But I've been wanting to do this since Peff dropped that video of Reason 4 controlling his SEM. Back then I don't think Eurorack was even a thing!

stekme

29 Jul 2019

On Mac - easy to use Midi2CV (2 note 2 gate outs with many variations of use) clone of Mutable Instruments cheap solution of send midi to cv. I talk about Mac because it work nice with it, under windows drivers - it work with additional latency up to 10 ms.

If you need ES-8, ES-6, ES-3 to use, but not have any ADAT interface to connect.. Just bought ($99) usbstreamer-box
https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-au ... reamer-box

Behringer ADA8200 - cheap way to have 8ins 8 outs to you interface as ADAT in/outs, but it only AC. Know that ADA8000 - can be easy modified to work as DC coupled.

Im personally found old scheme of Expert Sleepers SilentWay module on their site and just build them. Of course it not work properly with AC coupled interfaces with their RE... But. ES have VST pack that include Silent Way plugin and also AC-DC converter that can help!

https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/siwaa ... r.html#es1
https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es1.html

DJMaytag

20 Aug 2019

I've got a massive rig of ES gear working in Reason, and am in the process of pushing the envelope of what can be done with their hardware & software (the VST suite of Silent Way).

AFAIK, I'm the first person to pull off connecting TWO of the ES-5 expander modules to an ES-3 or ES-8. Not even Os, the guy behind Expert Sleepers, has tried this successfully - in any DAW.

This was my setup from about 6 months ago, syncing up a TR-08 drum machine and using Reason to send MIDI data to my hardware synths, all using sample-accurate MIDI streams.

DJMaytag

20 Aug 2019

Sorry I missed the CV IN part... An Expert Sleepers ES-8 is an easy way to go, but ES-3's can be found fairly cheaply, and can be paired with an ES-6 (the CV input module) for far less than an ES-8. Plus, you don't have to use an aggregate device with your existing audio interface (assuming that you have a free ADAT in and out available on your interface).

• Information