Do you ever go back and listen to old stuff and be amazed that you did that?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
reggie1979

14 Jun 2019

I'm just blown away, I don't make much music these days but the stuff I've tinkered with is awfully cool.

antic604

14 Jun 2019

Yes! Because in the past I knew very little about music and also the tools available to me were much, MUCH more limited - the music was better, more spontaneous and exciting :(

dannyF

14 Jun 2019

I notice the same thing as well. If I look too far back then its crappy..... but at a certain point I was like "what happened to the guy who could make this?"

reggie1979

14 Jun 2019

I'm basically talking about Reason here. So many cool synths and stuff, why don't I make this cool stuff anymore? :(

reddust

14 Jun 2019

dannyF wrote:
14 Jun 2019
I was like "what happened to the guy who could make this?"

haha, I know that feeling too... I don't know what is exactly, if it's just that we get older and our brains aren't just as creative as when we were younger, or if it's work and life duties that burn our brains so bad that at some point we aren't able to create so constructive and free anymore or if it's just time making things look better than we did when we were creating them, but the feeling is there :)

demt

14 Jun 2019

ah syncronicity
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

BRIGGS

14 Jun 2019

"Do you ever go back and listen to old stuff and be amazed that you did that?"

Yes, and lately even more amazed!

Monotone allows me to move on quickly to other parts of a song. It's my new workhorse/sketching synth!

It helps with that 'big picture' creative flow.
Last edited by BRIGGS on 15 Jun 2019, edited 1 time in total.
r11s

reggie1979

14 Jun 2019

I just realized that the vast majority of this was done in Reason 8. All the fun things I did with filters and stuff. I'm only about half way through it and it's weird how I'll use something once and then it's not my go-to. (In other words I really had gas for RE's back then) :lol:

Kalm

14 Jun 2019

quick answer. . . . all the time
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Oquasec

14 Jun 2019

Yep. As Reason gets bigger it gets more complex and you will def need to take more breaks to learn the new tools you get : )
Reason 5 is as simple as it's gonna get in our lifetimes man.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Reasonable man

14 Jun 2019

I used to listen to artists and immitate them best i could in Reason 8. The results were incredibly unique yet sounded nothing like what i was trying to immitate. An exampe is... I often couldn't figure out how certain riffs and sequences were made and i couldn't get close to them on the matrix or thor's step sequencer...so i worked them out and played/recorded them in at half tempo.
They are imo 100% better and more musical than the sequences i'm 'programming' today on all sorts o Re utility sequencers.
I used to play most stuff in but for some reason in he last 2 years i got lost in programming patching and mixing etc .
As Oquasec just said above it takes time to learn new Re's and new stock instruments/palyers etc. and all the new infinite possibilities in Reason which can induce migraines.

estuary

14 Jun 2019

antic604 wrote:
14 Jun 2019
Yes! Because in the past I knew very little about music and also the tools available to me were much, MUCH more limited - the music was better, more spontaneous and exciting :(
Yeah, I understand this feeling

Noplan
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
14 Jun 2019
I'm basically talking about Reason here. So many cool synths and stuff, why don't I make this cool stuff anymore? :(
We'll ask you again in the distant future, if you like what you are doing now.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2019

Sometimes I go back and listen to stuff I did ages ago and think what the hell was the refill that noise came from. Changed Refill location and HD so many times since.
Sometimes I listen to a guitar line I’ve played and think how the hell did I play that and spend ages trying different string and finger configurations until I can play it so it sounds “almost” the same.
Sometimes I think wow, this is pretty good I should rework it then realize it’s the crap, lo-fi bad production, mixing and playing which make it good :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

withnail

15 Jun 2019

I bet some pros do as well...
Take the Chemical Brothers for example, their new album is good and 'Further' in 2010 was a cracker but if you go back to nearly the beginning with 'Dig Your Own Hole' that was amazing. Off the cuff, exciting, unpredictable.
A bit like 808 state and '90' that album is madness but bloody great and an early one.

withnail

15 Jun 2019

Maybe nostalgia plays a part too.

dannyF

15 Jun 2019

reddust wrote:
14 Jun 2019
dannyF wrote:
14 Jun 2019
I was like "what happened to the guy who could make this?"

haha, I know that feeling too... I don't know what is exactly, if it's just that we get older and our brains aren't just as creative as when we were younger, or if it's work and life duties that burn our brains so bad that at some point we aren't able to create so constructive and free anymore or if it's just time making things look better than we did when we were creating them, but the feeling is there :)
You're right man. All that creativity and passion is still there. And with more to come!

diminished
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2019

withnail wrote:
15 Jun 2019
I bet some pros do as well...
Take the Chemical Brothers for example, their new album is good and 'Further' in 2010 was a cracker but if you go back to nearly the beginning with 'Dig Your Own Hole' that was amazing. Off the cuff, exciting, unpredictable.
A bit like 808 state and '90' that album is madness but bloody great and an early one.
Ha, I found that album in a thrift store a month ago for 1€. Played one of my all time favorites, 'Where Do I Begin', to my 5yo. By the end of the song we've gone completely nuts - jumping around in the room half naked and drumming on our chests like gorillas. Fun times.
That song combines simplicity, beauty and utter madness.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Micha1973

15 Jun 2019

Yes i do. And sometimes i wonder how i Made this🎹
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

Biolumin3sc3nt

15 Jun 2019

This came to mind

pushedbutton

15 Jun 2019

there's elements of my old work that I like.
I guess as start paying attention to what's established as good practice you lose a little spontaneity and leave less room for 'happy accidents', intentionally or not.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

fullforce

15 Jun 2019

Definitely. I still made my best stuff on a Commodore Amiga. When I hear those tracks I relive the energy I had back then. I made a whole bunch of loops and things on Reason but on the Amiga I made TRACKS.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

fullforce

15 Jun 2019

pushedbutton wrote:
15 Jun 2019
there's elements of my old work that I like.
I guess as start paying attention to what's established as good practice you lose a little spontaneity and leave less room for 'happy accidents', intentionally or not.
A lot of old Techno/House classics are "happy accidents".
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

dvdrtldg

15 Jun 2019

Kind of... my earliest stuff was made before I got Reason and it sounds to me like it has a focus & simplicity that I struggle to achieve these days. Too many toys in the toybox. But I'm doing stuff now that when it all comes together, I like it better than anything I've done before. It all just seems to take longer and involve more effort, which is fine I guess. I took an enforced break from music production for about a year recently, and have to say it's been great for recharging the batteries. Returned to it with much more creative mojo

Jagwah

15 Jun 2019

Yes I have quite a lot that I like and a few that I am quite excited by.

Now I 've had a break and I am very rusty. I yearn to get back to the point where I can do things quickly again like it is all second nature.

• Information