Unsaved changes when nothing has changed

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tallguy

10 Jun 2019

Since 10.4, a lot of projects will open and straightaway claim to have unsaved changes when all I did was open it. Does anybody else get this? It's not a dealbreaker, just a little nuisance. But would be nice to get rid of it nonetheless.

boingy

10 Jun 2019

Is it the first time you have opened those projects since the 10.4 update? I wonder if it is writing something to pre 10.4 projects. Just a guess though.

tallguy

10 Jun 2019

boingy wrote:
10 Jun 2019
Is it the first time you have opened those projects since the 10.4 update? I wonder if it is writing something to pre 10.4 projects. Just a guess though.
No, there are projects I have done since the upgrade.

I am starting to suspect certain VSTs are the culprit. Narrowing it down to the specific ones will be a boring and arduous task, so I was hoping someone may have already figured which ones are the culprits. Not that I am lazy, you know. Just efficient :P

retreed
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2019

Do you have non-self-containing samples in that project that were moved to a different location? After samples were found at a new location, this is the reason for unsaved changes.

tallguy

10 Jun 2019

retreed wrote:
10 Jun 2019
Do you have non-self-containing samples in that project that were moved to a different location? After samples were found at a new location, this is the reason for unsaved changes.
No, no self contained samples. And it's not just one project, it's quite a few that do this.

When I start a new project, the Template song I use immediately claims unsaved changes. But my Template song contains a few of my favourite plugins from SoundToys and Eventide, so for now, I'll be looking in that direction. After all, the big change in 10.4 was the way Reason deals with VSTs.

Ostermilk

10 Jun 2019

Another thing that can cause this is midi 'noise' coming from a controller, as caused by a dirty pot or some such.

I'm not saying that is your problem but I've certainly run into it before when my M-Audio Oxygen used to issue uncommanded data, i.e the knobs would fluctuate without me touching the thing.

I'm not getting this issue since I ditched that thing even on 10.4. Try starting with a blank template and add each VST you want in your template one by one to eliminate possible causes.
Last edited by Ostermilk on 10 Jun 2019, edited 1 time in total.

tallguy

10 Jun 2019

Ostermilk wrote:
10 Jun 2019
Another thing that can cause this is midi 'noise' coming from a controller, such as caused by a dirty pot or some such.

I'm not saying that is your problem but I've certainly run into it before when my M-Audio Oxygen used to issue uncommanded data, i.e the knobs would fluctuate without me touching the thing.

I'm not getting this issue since I ditched that thing even on 10.4
Interesting, but even when none of my MIDI controllers are switched on, it happens.

Ostermilk

10 Jun 2019

tallguy wrote:
10 Jun 2019
Ostermilk wrote:
10 Jun 2019
Another thing that can cause this is midi 'noise' coming from a controller, such as caused by a dirty pot or some such.

I'm not getting this issue since I ditched that thing even on 10.4
Interesting, but even when none of my MIDI controllers are switched on, it happens.
So you've eliminated the controllers as being a culprit, that's good news. It may well be a plug-in then.

boingy

10 Jun 2019

As you say, not a dealbreaker but it is curious behaviour.

tallguy

10 Jun 2019

So far, it looks like Soundtoys EchoBoy is the culprit. No wonder I get this problem all the time. It's one of my favourites.

• Information