difference between "reason sounds" and the "factory sound bank"?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
josiah

09 Jun 2019

Hi all--

I just upgraded to 10 (I haven't had time for music in a while, and was still on 8). I now have the FSB and the Reason Sounds Library, but they seem to have mostly the same patches. Is the only difference the organization of the patches, or does one contain patches the other doesn't?

QVprod

10 Jun 2019

FSB is basically the old sound bank before Reason 9 including the original presets for all stock devices. The Reason sounds one has more updated patches.

motuscott

10 Jun 2019

The common denominator of course is "that Reason Sound™"

I'll see myself out
Be sure to tip the waitstaff
I'll be here til Friday
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Ostermilk

10 Jun 2019

Basically some of the data the 'Reason Sounds' patches need (eg samples) is located in the FSB and Orkester refills.

scratchnsnifff

10 Jun 2019

Lately Iv actually been choosing old Thor presets for inspiration over the vast VST collection that I have.

Thor bubbles (I think it’s a pluck) only really needs a nice reverb

The entire reason sound isn’t due to reason, it’s the operators who rush their work and expect everything to just be easy
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

mcatalao
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2019

motuscott wrote:
10 Jun 2019

I'll see myself out
I'll be here til Friday
The OP is really not talking about that... :/

josiah

10 Jun 2019

QVprod wrote:
10 Jun 2019
FSB is basically the old sound bank before Reason 9 including the original presets for all stock devices. The Reason sounds one has more updated patches.
That would have been my initial assumption, but the FSB includes patches for Grain and Europa which did not appear until Reason 10. So it has clearly been updated since 9.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2019

QVprod wrote:
10 Jun 2019
Yep.

Let me just add that the new sound bank has really amazing stuff done with Combis and only reason stuff. I can't have enough of the luxurious sound of Dream Central.

QVprod

10 Jun 2019

josiah wrote:
10 Jun 2019
QVprod wrote:
10 Jun 2019
That would have been my initial assumption, but the FSB includes patches for Grain and Europa which did not appear until Reason 10. So it has clearly been updated since 9.
I said basically. The way it's organized is that it has presets for all the stock devices. Makes sense that Grain and Europa would be there too. The Reason Sounds bank isn't organized by device.

challism

10 Jun 2019

mcatalao wrote:
10 Jun 2019
motuscott wrote:
10 Jun 2019

I'll see myself out
I'll be here til Friday
The OP is really not talking about that... :/
He was making a joke. He does that a lot. To which I must respond........... HA HA HA HA, Good one!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Oquasec

10 Jun 2019

Nah Reason doesn't have a sound. Stock has a sound. Thirdparty has a sound.
Custom made has a sound. What you create is the sound that comes out.
In terms of sound design, you can make any sound.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

josiah

10 Jun 2019

Ok, after investigating, it looks like Reasons Sounds has some patches that are not in Factory Sounds (mostly combinators), but it seems impossible to tell which are new. They all have the same last modified date (when the refill was packed I assume), so new patches are mixed in with all the old ones.

Ostermilk

10 Jun 2019

josiah wrote:
10 Jun 2019
Ok, after investigating, it looks like Reasons Sounds has some patches that are not in Factory Sounds (mostly combinators), but it seems impossible to tell which are new. They all have the same last modified date (when the refill was packed I assume), so new patches are mixed in with all the old ones.
Or to put it another way it's worth rummaging around in the depths of the FSB now and then as there are some great samples, fx and various other miscellany that isn't all apparent via 'Reason Sounds'

• Information