Automation Question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Popnfrsh24

09 Jun 2019

Hey there,

I'm starting to mess around with automation, and I was curious if you guys knew of a sleek way to easily change automation parameters. Like for example, is there a way I can just plop in some sort of square wave that has a certain frequency in the automation window? Or do I manually just have to use the pencil tool to input my square wave?

Also, is there a way to select multiple automation points and set the value of all of them to the same value? I tried to select them all and then changed the value, and it seemed to just increase all the points by that value I input to them, and not change them all to that value.

Thanks,

Pop

Jagwah

09 Jun 2019

Popnfrsh24 wrote:
09 Jun 2019
Hey there,

I'm starting to mess around with automation, and I was curious if you guys knew of a sleek way to easily change automation parameters. Like for example, is there a way I can just plop in some sort of square wave that has a certain frequency in the automation window? Or do I manually just have to use the pencil tool to input my square wave?

Also, is there a way to select multiple automation points and set the value of all of them to the same value? I tried to select them all and then changed the value, and it seemed to just increase all the points by that value I input to them, and not change them all to that value.

Thanks,

Pop
Hi Pop,

It seems what you are talking about with automation is leading towards the wonderful world of CV (Control Voltage) inside Reason. You could send a square wave to your destination, and shave it stretch it bend it warp it tilt it reverse it to modify it if you like - there's lots you can do here. The device you are using might have an input on the back of it for the frequency you want to control, if so, get out your Pulsar LFO device and try sending a square from that to this input. There will be other ways too. If you can do that you're already on your way. CV can go very deep if you like, try some Youtube videos.

As far as I know highlighting multiple automation points and changing their value will make them all move the same amount, not to the same position. If you have one you want to repeat, try copy it with CTRL + C (PC) and drag it out with your mouse to paste it. Can be a bit cumbersome but it does work.

zoidkirb

09 Jun 2019

Pulsar is great, Shape LFO and Ammo are even better. Sometimes I just want to draw my lfo's in the automation lane, and in that case my general technique is: make a 1 bar automation clip, draw the UP slope. Exit edit mode, make a copy of that clip (ctrl-d) and reverse that clip (f8 menu) which creates a mirror image . Now join the two clips together, resize the clip (ctrl - left mouse button) and then ctrl-d the new clip as much as needed

• Information