PSA: If you're a beta tester, your personal data connected to your PH account is visible to the developer.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
diminished
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2019

Let me start by saying that I'm lucky and got to test or won a few RE in my lifetime and I'm grateful for the experience, never had any problems with anyone. So cheers, dear devs. I don't feel threatened or anything, BUT
I'm PISSED @ Propellerhead SW.
It's very disconcerting that a developer can access your personal information (real name, at the very least, if you're a beta tester - what else? Any dev wanna chime in?).
Where did we agree to this? Why would it even be necessary? Can every developer see who's behind a PH account, or is it limited to beta testers? To anyone who has the RE in his/her account?
I'm pretty sure this violates the GDPR and a few older and country-specific laws.

Big WTF.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Loque

09 Jun 2019

AFAIK the devs can't access this data. Why do you think they can?
Reason12, Win10

diminished
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2019

Because I was adressed with my real name by someone who's beta I tested. Never told him. (Again, this was via PM and no damage done, would have told him if he asked).

And I'm not the only one who made the experience (different user with different dev).
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Ostermilk

10 Jun 2019

diminished wrote:
09 Jun 2019
Because I was adressed with my real name by someone who's beta I tested. Never told him. (Again, this was via PM and no damage done, would have told him if he asked).

And I'm not the only one who made the experience (different user with different dev).
Did you send the dev an email from an account that contained your real name, during or when signing up for the Beta?

Ask the Dev where he got your name from perhaps.

The title is a bit of an alarmist assertion when there may easily be a simpler explanation.

diminished
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2019

Ostermilk wrote:
10 Jun 2019
diminished wrote:
09 Jun 2019

Did you send the dev an email from an account that contained your real name, during or when signing up for the Beta?

Ask the Dev where he got your name from perhaps.

The title is a bit of an alarmist assertion when there may easily be a simpler explanation.
Communication happened only through Reasontalk PM, where I told him my PH user name. So no, no email or anything else.
And since there are several developers in this forum, I was hoping I'd get a better picture of the actual facts than by singling out "my" dev.
I'd actually like to be proven that the title is alarmist but unfortunately I have no reason to believe that since I've learned of someone else with the same experience.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

10 Jun 2019

diminished wrote:
09 Jun 2019
Because I was adressed with my real name by someone who's beta I tested. Never told him.
That post title is simply not true, and I fail to see how you could rationally come to that conclusion based on a developer simply using your name.

To even suggest we do is absolutely, totally, categorically, and arsewipingly nonsense.

We do NOT get your personal data from your PH account.

More than enough misinformation in the first couple of posts already so let's nip this nonsense in the bud, (to the best of my knowledge and understanding, at any rate, so e&oa).

There's two different things to consider: beta testing and email marketing subscriptions. Since you're referring to beta testing specifically, let's start with that.

Again, you asked to beta test, you weren't press-ganged into it from a Pro-Trumpian Russian mailing list. You're committing to provide confidential work for a developer and thus you've consented to supply the dev with who you are under the relevant aspect of the EULA that permits it. Are you seriously suggesting your next employer should hire you based solely on any one of your multiple internet user-handles? Of course you're not. So what, exactly, is the problem with them having your name?

(And frankly, I'd note that one's name isn't really "personal data", per se or private information anyway in terms of GDPR - it's your name. That's about as public as personal information can get, surely? If you meet a new person at a party and they ask for your name, you don't say "diminished", even though they're more of a stranger, potentially, than a developer you've offered to assist in a potentially commercial enterprise! This is quite unlike say, offering up a DoB, or address, email or otherwise, or banking details, or password. At no time do PH share any of that, bar an exception regarding the email address, which I'll cover below).

Now, if someone applies for beta testing via RT, for example, the developer does not get your email address or real name if you don't include it. If one writes to a devs real support address, where one therefore supplies an email address, it's likely the real name might be in the header, as Ostermilk also correctly noted above. And if one signs up via Facebook, then obviously the real name is a given, unless it's you're one of those weirdly smug hippies who use mistranslated Chinese letters which almost invariably don't say quite what they think it says...

Let's be clear: you sign up to beta test you've consented to provide your name to that developer. Assuming you indeed didn't give him your name via any previous communication, I'd guess the dev in question probably thought he was being extra-friendly rather than stalker-y, and was merely very naive using it unbidden, whereas I and most people would not be using a real name until that contact had signed off a communique with the real name themselves. That's the obvious way of dealing with personal communication.

To be clear, all that only applies to those who've signed up for a beta, and it's on a per developer basis.

Developer email marketing subscriptions. In this scenario if you've ticked the subscribed to a developer stuff at the PoS in the shop you'd be agreeing to provide your email address to that specific developer upon the developer requesting it. It is not automatically given to us, we need to request it. If memory serves the info provided is limited to only: username, the given account holder's name and email address. But again, to be in that list you'd have consented to provide that info to that specific developer.

If we want everything in our lives private, then don't do anything, talk to anyone, stay off the bloody Internet, and use a second layer of foil on that hat (and it needs to be replaced weekly: it's the second layer that makes all the protective difference, otherwise all one'd be doing is looking stupid).

reasonsuser88

10 Jun 2019

JiggeryPokery wrote:
10 Jun 2019
If we want everything in our lives private, then don't do anything, talk to anyone, stay off the bloody Internet, and use a second layer of foil on that hat (and it needs to be replaced weekly: it's the second layer that makes all the protective difference, otherwise all one'd be doing is looking stupid).
Maybe he wants to be one of those DJ's who wears a helmet or mask!
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

chimp_spanner

10 Jun 2019

I mean, probably best to ask the dev directly before claiming that rack developers somehow have access to any/all private information from any Reason user. There’s no reason devs would need it and there’s no reason PH would just give it.

I’m sure they’ll be happy to tell you! So definitely ask.

diminished
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2019

JP, thanks for chiming in but you're throwing punches and overshooting big time. I mean come on, tinfoil hat, assuming I feel forced into anything, staying off the internet... Care to read everything above again? And please note I deliberately didn't single anyone out. Why so angry? I'm not shooting in the direction of RE developers, jeez.

Anyway I just leave it at that and skip to the relevant bit:
JiggeryPokery wrote:
10 Jun 2019
(And frankly, I'd note that one's name isn't really "personal data", per se or private information anyway in terms of GDPR - it's your name.
That's an opinion. Not the law.
JiggeryPokery wrote:
10 Jun 2019
Now, if someone applies for beta testing via RT, for example, the developer does not get your email address or real name if you don't include it.
But that's what happened..?
JiggeryPokery wrote:
10 Jun 2019
Let's be clear: you sign up to beta test you've consented to provide your name to that developer.
Assuming you indeed didn't give him your name via any previous communication, I'd guess the dev in question probably thought he was being extra-friendly rather than stalker-y, and was merely very naive using it unbidden, whereas I and most people would not be using a real name until that contact had signed off a communique with the real name themselves. That's the obvious way of dealing with personal communication.

To be clear, all that only applies to those who've signed up for a beta, and it's on a per developer basis.
So thanks for the clarification, it seems a developer has indeed access to your name and Propellerhead SW provides it? Is that how I have to read the first sentence in my quote?

Again and again: send me a fucking postcard for all I care. I'm okay with a dev knowing my name and I don't mind using in in personal and private conversation at all. It's just not okay for a company to share that data without my consent. Sweden ain't 'Murica and neither is the country I'm living in.

diminished
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
10 Jun 2019
I mean, probably best to ask the dev directly before claiming that rack developers somehow have access to any/all private information from any Reason user. There’s no reason devs would need it and there’s no reason PH would just give it.

I’m sure they’ll be happy to tell you! So definitely ask.
I will, thanks chimp.
I didn't claim it's all users nor all information. Beta testers and personal data (at the very least the real name) connected to your account I said.

diminished
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
10 Jun 2019
JiggeryPokery wrote:
10 Jun 2019
Maybe he wants to be one of those DJ's who wears a helmet or mask!
Hurr durr. How about you stay on topic?

reasonsuser88

10 Jun 2019

diminished wrote:
10 Jun 2019
Hurr durr. How about you stay on topic?
Okay hurr durr. Somebody (you) spreading misinformation and starting pointless drama is more offensive to me than somebody (especially a developer) knowing my name. I'll digress so you can have your little rush. Bye-bye.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

WongoTheSane

10 Jun 2019

FWIW, it's covered in the EULA, anyway.

2.SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
2.1.Sharing your information with third parties
In general, Propellerhead does not sell, rent, share or otherwise disclose your personal information with third parties. Notwithstanding, in our endeavour to provide you with quality products and services, we may need to make certain exemptions to this general principle (in particular when information about you cannot be transferred in anonymous and/or in pseudonymised form).

We may disclose information about you to other Propellerhead group companies. They may combine this information with other details they hold about you. Unless they provide you with their own privacy policy, they may use your personal details for the purposes explained in this policy.
We may use third-party service providers to process information on our behalf for the purposes outlined above, e.g. to fulfil orders, delivering packages, sending postal mail and emails, providing marketing, technical and support assistance, processing credit card payments, providing IT and cyber security services, providing fraud checking services and providing customer services etc.
We may disclose and use information about you with our third-party Developers to process information for the purpose of ensuring product compatibility and interlinkage with Propellerhead products, modules and services to optimise your use of Propellerhead products and services.
If you request or agree to receive information or newsletters from one of our business partners, we may provide that third-party with your details so that they can respond to your request.
For research and statistical purposes, we prepare anonymous, aggregate or generic data (including “generic” statistics) for a number of purposes outlined above. As we consider that you cannot reasonably be identified from this information, we may share it with any third-party (such as our partners, advertisers, industry bodies, the media and/or the general public). However, also in this we apply a restrictive approach in order to ensure a high level of security and safety.

Please take note that our third-party service providers, acting on our behalf, always operate only in accordance with our instructions, in line with this policy, and are subject to appropriate confidentiality, privacy and security obligations. However, other third-party providers, such as third-party developers, generally process shared information to develop and optimise their products and services. When using third-party developer products in Propellerhead products and services, we recommend that you always read such third-party developer’s privacy policy and use terms before using their products or services in Propellerhead products and services.

etc...

There are several other relevant points in the rest of the document, I won't bother copy/pasting the whole thing. It's here if you want to read it:

https://www.propellerheads.com/agreements

I don't think there's any way around this. The dev is giving you proper trade secrets, there has to be a mechanism in place to avoid leaks. Giving your real name (and only that) is the easiest, cheapest and less harmful of all.

diminished
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2019

Wongo, thanks so much.

Leaving out all opinion now - so, that data is shared with RE devs? Simplified: when they sign up your account for beta, they receive your name? And only your name? Address? What exactly. I'd really like to know these things.

I can fault myself for (edit: NOT) knowing the EULA by heart.
Last edited by diminished on 10 Jun 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Oquasec

10 Jun 2019

Oh if it's just your name or some shit I don't care one bit.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

future-bit

10 Jun 2019

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

WongoTheSane

10 Jun 2019

diminished wrote:
10 Jun 2019
Leaving out all opinion now - so, that data is shared with RE devs? Simplified: when they sign up your account for beta, they receive your name? And only your name? Address? What exactly. I'd really like to know these things.
As far as I know, they only get the PH username (which is necessary to grant the license) and first name/last name. That's all, they don't even get the email address or anything else.

challism

11 Jun 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
10 Jun 2019
diminished wrote:
10 Jun 2019
As far as I know, they only get the PH username (which is necessary to grant the license) and first name/last name. That's all, they don't even get the email address or anything else.
And by volunteering to beta test, you gave the Dev your username, voluntarily. Devs can't access all the user database, I'm sure. But if you give them your username so that you can get a beta license, Props probably provide them with your name, which seems more than fair and also pretty smart. This is their business and their proprietary work. Devs are entrusting you with their unreleased device secrets, seems only fair that they should know your name, doesn't it?

I guess the key points/bottom line here is: 1) you agreed to the terms of service, and 2) you volunteered your username for beta testing.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Blamsoft
RE Developer

11 Jun 2019

This thread should be locked. There isn't even such thing as "signing up for beta". A username that was provided by the beta tester is given a license. Propellerhead does show your name. That's all. Nothing to see here.

• Information