Pressing a key on a midi keyboard changes volume

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Str8representing

09 Jun 2019

Is this a bug or some function? I need to turn it off. Very annoying that selected instrument's volume is affected every time I press any note. If I press it hard then the instrument goes loud, if I press it softly then quiet. In the volumes nothing seem to change anywhere, it's what I hear.
Last edited by Str8representing on 09 Jun 2019, edited 3 times in total.

Loque

09 Jun 2019

I bet 5 bucks on a dusty controller, no i bet 10 bucks. Clean it, move all fades (especially this one connected to your voume control), turn all knobs until everything is clean and dust free.

And if its not, check if your midi controller sets other signals at the same time or if you have overwritten a midi controller in Reason.
Reason12, Win10

antic604

09 Jun 2019

Loque wrote:
09 Jun 2019
I bet 5 bucks on a dusty controller, no i bet 10 bucks. Clean it, move all fades (especially this one connected to your voume control), turn all knobs until everything is clean and dust free.

And if its not, check if your midi controller sets other signals at the same time or if you have overwritten a midi controller in Reason.
I think what he's describing is just a correct velocity response (hard = loud, soft = quiet), isn't it?

Without knowing the MIDI controller it's difficult to say if velocity can be disabled and considering that this even is an issue I doubt it can be explained what has to be done on instrument level...

Loque

09 Jun 2019

antic604 wrote:
09 Jun 2019
Loque wrote:
09 Jun 2019

I think what he's describing is just a correct velocity response (hard = loud, soft = quiet), isn't it?

Without knowing the MIDI controller it's difficult to say if velocity can be disabled and considering that this even is an issue I doubt it can be explained what has to be done on instrument level...
You are right. Velocity to Amp Level needs to be adjusted.
Reason12, Win10

Creativemind

09 Jun 2019

Yeah sounds like just normal velocity sensitive behaviour. You want velocity differences to put feeling into your music though.

Isn't there a way of making all the velocities the same though like you can the on-screen piano keys?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Str8representing

09 Jun 2019

antic604 wrote:
09 Jun 2019
It's a digital piano Casio Privia PX-350M
Loque wrote:
09 Jun 2019
What's that and where to find it?
Creativemind wrote:
09 Jun 2019
Yeah sounds like just normal velocity sensitive behaviour. You want velocity differences to put feeling into your music though.
Only when I play the keys, not have all my notes control the velocity. If I accidentally hit a note, my recordings' velocity changes. If I play the instrument again, my velocity changes. This is very frustrating.

Creativemind

09 Jun 2019

Str8representing wrote:
09 Jun 2019
Creativemind wrote:
09 Jun 2019
Only when I play the keys, not have all my notes control the velocity. If I accidentally hit a note, my recordings' velocity changes. If I play the instrument again, my velocity changes. This is very frustrating.
Without having Reason open I can't check but if you click an already recorded note with the mouse pointer, it should play at the same recorded velocity I presume but if you play that note again then the velocity should reflect the key hardness in which you're playing it now.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

reggie1979

09 Jun 2019

Loque wrote:
09 Jun 2019
antic604 wrote:
09 Jun 2019

That'll be 10 bucks please :lol:

antic604

10 Jun 2019

Str8representing wrote:
09 Jun 2019
antic604 wrote:
09 Jun 2019
It's a digital piano Casio Privia PX-350M
Perhaps try what the 2nd post below suggests:
https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index. ... nsitivity/

Although I'm surprised at the complaint, as the keyboard generally seems to be praised for it's feel and sensitivity. Why are you using it, if not for capturing the nuance of performance? :?

Heigen5

10 Jun 2019

All the proper midi-keyboards have a bank of velocity sensitive curves integrated to it's programmer. If you have a manual for your Casio, go and find where it introduces the "switch velocity curve" as some of the curves should be a one that always has the same velocity, no matter how softly or hard you press the keys.

Str8representing

10 Jun 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
10 Jun 2019
All the proper midi-keyboards have a bank of velocity sensitive curves integrated to it's programmer. If you have a manual for your Casio, go and find where it introduces the "switch velocity curve" as some of the curves should be a one that always has the same velocity, no matter how softly or hard you press the keys.
Heigen5 wrote:
10 Jun 2019
I don't want to have a fixed velocity and kill all dynamics. But I don't want random note hits to change my velocity when I'm not recording or even when I'm playing but not recording. Because then my desired velocity is f'd up. That seems like a big flaw or a bug. By the way didn't have this problem with a cheap midi keyboard in older reason versions.

Anyway I tried to switch sensitivity off in my keyboards menu. In standalone it was off. However in reason as a midi keyboard velocity was still affected. So I guess reason has it wrong somewhere.

• Information