New Order Songs and Reason Live

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MarkTarlton

07 Jun 2019

exe135

07 Jun 2019

Using a combinator per song as a keyboard patch and have one reason project for an entire gig works very well.

But what if I need sequences or longer samples as backing tracks?
If I have a 4 minute audio track that I want to use as backing track, I can't play it from a keypress on my keyboard via combinator->nnxt/kong, because the maximum hold time is like 1min30s. I have a workaround with using Grain for the sample playback and using a combinator's assignable button to trigger the sustainpedal to hold for grain to play the entire sample.

Using the main sequencer is a bit problematic, as it's not easy to do "breaks", fe. during a bridge without playback and without timing, when you want the backing track to afterward commence instantly at a button/keypress.

Still, I have not yet seen a convincing way to use reason live if you need backing tracks or sequences and keyboards.

edit: or: How else do I get a keyboard patch and a 4 min backing track inside one combinator?

artotaku

07 Jun 2019

exe135 wrote:
07 Jun 2019
Using a combinator per song as a keyboard patch and have one reason project for an entire gig works very well.

If I have a 4 minute audio track that I want to use as backing track, I can't play it from a keypress on my keyboard via combinator->nnxt/kong, because the maximum hold time is like 1min30s. I have a workaround with using Grain for the sample playback and using a combinator's assignable button to trigger the sustainpedal to hold for grain to play the entire sample.

Using the main sequencer is a bit problematic, as it's not easy to do "breaks", fe. during a bridge without playback and without timing, when you want the backing track to afterward commence instantly at a button/keypress.

Still, I have not yet seen a convincing way to use reason live if you need backing tracks or sequences and keyboards.

edit: or: How else do I get a keyboard patch and a 4 min backing track inside one combinator?
Depending on the audio material you could make shorter rex loops out of your backing tracks which would allow you to play them non-sequentionally and synced. Problem is that rex format is intended for material with transients like drums and it also decreases the sound in a certain way when converting from wav to rex. There is a way of cheating by removing the auto generated slices and adding your own ones manually every bar or so. This improves the sound quality a bit but you will loose the automatic tempo adjustments in the rhythmic parts.
Other than that Ableton Live is the superior option.

Neo

09 Jun 2019

That was a nice surprise read. Old-school Joy Division, New Order fan myself.

A fave off "Technique" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1tjQqWqqAA
:exclamation:
Background.png
Background.png (194.51 KiB) Viewed 743 times
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

djadalaide

09 Jun 2019

exe135 wrote:
07 Jun 2019

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4m2ztvl97tunw ... r.cmb?dl=1

Basically, cv input to gate (and 60 as the value of note) and a way of triggering the gate.. Here i've used select cv switch but you could use zvork sl-1.

exe135

10 Jun 2019

Basically, cv input to gate (and 60 as the value of note) and a way of triggering the gate.. Here i've used select cv switch but you could use zvork sl-1.
Many thanks! While it was not entirely what I was looking for, it brought me to additional solutions for my take.

(I wanted to aviod having to run the main sequencer, as it would bring issues when changing songs=combinators [samples they would all be "on" when seq run, etc.] I wanted to be able to change to a new combinator=song ("up/down") and hit a note on the keyboard (like C6) to start and fully play the sample (ie backing track) and another note (D6) to stop.)

By using a note/cv generator device (one-note stand) I can use the note cv to set the sustain pedal for grain to 100 (via combinator cv in) with the same key as sample start, and to 0 with another key to stop the sample. One issue with my previous way (and also with using the cv8x4 cv generator device to hold sustain open) was, that when hitting main stop (shift-enter) or load a new project, the sustain was off until the knob was manually moved again.
I am thinking of a way to do that and using nn19 or xt instead of grain, but I did not find one yet. But as long as many Grains in one project are not cpu hungry for some reason or something (but only one playing at a time) it should work.

• Information