Mimicking Malstrom's amp envelope gate input

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pacothetortuga

07 Jun 2019

Short version:
The Malstrom has a very useful amp envelope gate input on its rear panel. Do the other instruments have similar functionality? I tried doing this through (e.g.) Thor's Modulation Bus, but I couldn't figure it out.
Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 10.32.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 10.32.55 AM.png (1008.76 KiB) Viewed 348 times
Long version with more details:
Here's what I want to do in a live setting. I want to hold a note or chord on an external keyboard controller without any sound (audio output). Then I want to strike an external MIDI trigger to play the note I'm holding according to an amp envelope.

There's a way to do this with Redrum and Malstrom, and you can simulate this scenario in just the software. Put some MIDI information on the Malstrom's MIDI track,
Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 10.42.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 10.42.55 AM.png (58.88 KiB) Viewed 348 times
connect the Gate Out of a Redrum sample to the Malstrom's "amp env" gate input on the rear panel (see screenshot above), start the sequencer to get the MIDI "note on" signal to the Malstrom, and click "play" on the appropriate Redrum channel
Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 10.48.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 10.48.12 AM.png (111.91 KiB) Viewed 348 times
to make the noise (get some audio output). To use your external trigger, use the Remote Override Edit Mode in the Options menu and assign your trigger to the Redrum channel's play button.

But I want to do this with the other instruments besides the Malstrom.

Any ideas?

Loque

07 Jun 2019

Hmm...i tried it for you and there is a problem with some controls of Thor, which are only triggered via the internal gate, but this would cause a retrigger of the sound which is not intended if i understood you right. You can try to use the global Envelope, which your can rout to Gain, Volume, Filter or whatever.

Here is a patch, that demonstrates it. Just hit Play on the ReDrum first channel and you will see Thors 1st Performance-Rotary move according the Global Envelope.
Attachments
hitme.zip
(1.7 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Reason12, Win10

pacothetortuga

07 Jun 2019

That's a very nice workaround for Thor! For Europa, I see a Global Envelope in the interface, but I don't see it in the Destination menu of the Modulation Bus.

I wonder if there is something more general.

For the thread, both the NN19 and NN-XT have amp env gate inputs. So this works with samplers -- understanding that the amp envelope will only affect whatever is coming from the sample as it plays. So, e.g., if the original sample decays in volume, then subsequent triggers from the Gate Input will decay in volume, too. The Gate Input does not re-trigger the sample.

Incidentally, while I was working on this, I figured out that you can sequence Note CV changes from a Matrix and trigger Gate CV through a Redrum Channel. And all the instruments have Sequence Control Note CV and Gate CV inputs. This wasn't my original question (related to holding notes on an external controller), but it is a related use case that I'd wondered about before.

selig
RE Developer

07 Jun 2019

To trigger the amp or filter env in Thor, use any CV Input 1-4 and assign it to the GATE input of either envelope in the Mod Matrix.
Or am I missing something here?
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

07 Jun 2019

Since you just trigger an envelope for volume control, you can use the generated envelope of several devices to control a gain device like a mixer or you can route audio through Thor and scale it with the envelope.
Reason12, Win10

pacothetortuga

09 Jun 2019

Thanks, selig! I hadn't seen the amp env gate and filter env gate in the Modulation section for Thor. But I found them now.

• Information