Relatively New Reason User Just Starting Out

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Pathsounds

29 May 2019

Hi guys, sorry if this has been posted before, but I looked around and all I could find were threads on more advanced stuff.

I'm just curious if there's any sites/videos/resources out there for beginners to Reason which might explain what each instrument does, how to use it, how back of the rack works (with all of the cords and whatnot)...

I'm not actually a super computer hardware or software-savvy person, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around all of this... one step at a time.

Thanks!

Path

Oquasec

29 May 2019

Most Rack extensions have manuals on the Propellerhead shop (Not anywhere else)
So you will need to get the manuals from propellerhead's shop (For free of course)
And then watch propellerhead's tutorials then lastly use the help button in Reason.
---
Most piano rolls are fast when you learn their keyboard shortcuts. in this case you only need to memorize CTRL+D, Q & W for a fast composing workflow.
Anything else you decide to memorize beside those is just extra bells & whistles.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

VariableX

29 May 2019

Its overwhelming at first! But once you get going the possibilities are endless! And super fun!

After a few sessions it starts to make sense ( not the super techo stuff but making music and getting ideas down )

What helped me was dissecting a few of the sample songs. My favourite was 'Reason has a rack for it' well that was the hook from memory! Its a catchy song with a few cool things going on..

Oquasec

29 May 2019

The dropdown menu has been put in the backround because of the utility section. (In this particular Daw)
Producer/Programmer.

EnochLight

29 May 2019

Pathsounds wrote:
29 May 2019
Hi guys, sorry if this has been posted before, but I looked around and all I could find were threads on more advanced stuff.

I'm just curious if there's any sites/videos/resources out there for beginners to Reason which might explain what each instrument does, how to use it, how back of the rack works (with all of the cords and whatnot)...

I'm not actually a super computer hardware or software-savvy person, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around all of this... one step at a time.

Thanks!

Path
I'd recommend you give the "Basic" videos a watch from the Prop's site:

Then eventually, once you're feeling more comfortable, move into the "Advanced" videos:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oquasec

29 May 2019

If It's your first daw then I suggest labbing it every day.
If It's not, learn how to translate between them.
Producer/Programmer.

EnochLight

29 May 2019

Or just watch the basic videos I posted a link to, as it doesn't get much more basic than that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Zac

29 May 2019

Listen to EnochLight, the other guy is a (harmless) troll.

Good luck, it's worth the effort.

Oquasec

29 May 2019

I'm not trolling. (You can't beat the manual for things like this)
(Most RE only have tutorials on their support page)
(Propellerhead's channel covers most of everything you end to create music)

You also must thank Hydelide & James bernard for going in depth with Reason also.
I would also like to point out that besides graphics & Module/sequencer updates, the program at it's core works the exact same as it did in older versions.
Which will make any tutorial useful in any time period.
Last edited by Oquasec on 29 May 2019, edited 2 times in total.
Producer/Programmer.

MarkTarlton

29 May 2019

also james bernard put out a great series a while ago, it's older but still worth going over.

it's a super fun journey :D

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 134198A5E9

Zac

30 May 2019

Oquasec wrote:
29 May 2019
I'm not trolling. (You can't beat the manual for things like this)
(Most RE only have tutorials on their support page)
(Propellerhead's channel covers most of everything you end to create music)

You also must thank Hydelide & James bernard for going in depth with Reason also.
I would also like to point out that besides graphics & Module/sequencer updates, the program at it's core works the exact same as it did in older versions.
Which will make any tutorial useful in any time period.
Ok. I just find your style of communication somewhat opaque. If you aren't trolling then I apologise.

In reply to the OP:
I would concentrate on learning how the mixer works first and the master meter. When you create an instrument aim to get it peaking at -12db on the master peak meter by adjusting the input gain at the top of the mix channel. This way however many instruments you have you shouldn't see clipping. And if you apply compression in the mixer channels you will have consistent levels.

I've always found this as really solid advice from professional mixer and RE developer Selig. Look out for his posts too. He always has good advice.

antic604

30 May 2019

If you don't mind paying again, I find Groove3 videos really well and Paul Ortiz - who's a member here - in particular is doing great job presenting Reason's basics and foundations in really ordered, systematic manner allowing you to grasp what Reason is all about.

https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Reason-10-Explained

You'll find there more videos as well about specific instruments, tips & tricks, etc. so a 1 month subscription to everything ($15) wouldn't be a bad idea either.

EnochLight

30 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
30 May 2019
If you don't mind paying again, I find Groove3 videos really well and Paul Ortiz - who's a member here - in particular is doing great job presenting Reason's basics and foundations in really ordered, systematic manner allowing you to grasp what Reason is all about.

You'll find there more videos as well about specific instruments, tips & tricks, etc. so a 1 month subscription to everything ($15) wouldn't be a bad idea either.
That’s pretty cool - I didn’t know a Groove3 presenter was a member here. Or maybe I did and totally forgot. :lol: :lol: :lol:

reggie1979

30 May 2019

You can get virtually any answer w/o the G3 sub but that one will absolutely walk you through it with ease. You can start with 10 and it doesn't leave a bunch of stuff out (even though there is still older versions available)

Oquasec

30 May 2019

There is a very large europa guide but it's not on youtube or the manual.
https://www.udemy.com/synthesis-with-reasons-europa/
Producer/Programmer.

PhillipOrdonez

30 May 2019

EnochLight wrote:
30 May 2019
antic604 wrote:
30 May 2019

That’s pretty cool - I didn’t know a Groove3 presenter was a member here. Or maybe I did and totally forgot. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You may know him as "chimp spanner".

Zac

31 May 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
30 May 2019
EnochLight wrote:
30 May 2019

You may know him as "chimp spanner".
Or.............. chimp_spanner

Spanner, for me meant someone... less than capable. And the friendly interpretation of chimp can mean the same. Sooo.... here we have a less than capable multiplied by a less than capable person equals... oookay. You venerate such a thing if you will. :roll:

Zac

31 May 2019

Spanners!

chimp_spanner

31 May 2019

Haha yes, that is me. For clarity "Chimp Spanner" is a username I chose for Soundclick (remember that?) back when I started writing music. Figured it'd just be a temporary thing. Seems to have followed me around well into adulthood. At least it's erm, unique? :/

Also thanks for the shoutout on the vid - put a LOT of time into that. I think it's a little over 3 hours long. I don't necessarily cover every device, or even go into the basics of synthesis or anything like that (plenty of amazing videos on those subjects elsewhere). But what I *do* do, hopefully, is lay out everything you need to create instruments, edit notes and audio, use utility devices, patch things together, mix, etc.

I haven't done a G3 video for a while now as I work full time at a music library. Kinda sucks because I've had some lovely feedback from people on the site, but it's a lot of work to put videos together. Perhaps when R11 is out I'll do another :)

In response to the OP, though; my/any tutorial aside, the very best thing you can do in Reason is experiment. Unlike real hardware, you can't break anything. Reason is just like a big ol box of toys. And toys are meant to be played with. If you have any specific questions though I (and many others here) are more than happy to help so just ask. We were all new once upon a time!

gaclab

01 Jun 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
31 May 2019
Haha yes, that is me. For clarity "Chimp Spanner" is a username I chose for Soundclick (remember that?) back when I started writing music. Figured it'd just be a temporary thing. Seems to have followed me around well into adulthood. At least it's erm, unique? :/

Also thanks for the shoutout on the vid - put a LOT of time into that. I think it's a little over 3 hours long. I don't necessarily cover every device, or even go into the basics of synthesis or anything like that (plenty of amazing videos on those subjects elsewhere). But what I *do* do, hopefully, is lay out everything you need to create instruments, edit notes and audio, use utility devices, patch things together, mix, etc.

I haven't done a G3 video for a while now as I work full time at a music library. Kinda sucks because I've had some lovely feedback from people on the site, but it's a lot of work to put videos together. Perhaps when R11 is out I'll do another :)

In response to the OP, though; my/any tutorial aside, the very best thing you can do in Reason is experiment. Unlike real hardware, you can't break anything. Reason is just like a big ol box of toys. And toys are meant to be played with. If you have any specific questions though I (and many others here) are more than happy to help so just ask. We were all new once upon a time!
Chimp_Spanner - your video tutorials on Reason are brilliant and so well done! I've watched all of them on G3 and Youtube. You have a gift for teaching others and have helped me out immensely. Just wanted to say thank you and I look forward to any future tutorials you put out.
Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 4.5 | Mac OSX 10.13.4 w/ 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 12 GB Ram (dinosaur) | Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 | M-Audio Keystation 49es | Akai MPD218 | KRK Rokit 5s

• Information