Notation options in Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
reddust

24 May 2019

Hi,

I'm investing some energy in music these days and one thing I always wanted to do but never managed to is learning music theory and harmony. I never could find a method that were funny enough to keep me going, so now I'm trying to find my own way to at least learn some basic music theory and I'm putting some tools together for this purpose.

My method is going to be based on analyzing songs I like to find out what the composers of these songs are doing and also analyze songs I've written myself to find out what am I exactly doing when looking for my sound and what can I correct or do better when I know more about harmony rules and music composition.

For this purpose I've already purchased a couple of tools that should help me in the process. As I'm a friend of digital tools and not as much of a book reader, I am trying to use modern tools and VSTi's for this purpose.

I have already bought Scaler from plugin boutique to detect Chords in midi files and create chord progressions, find chord alternatives, and such...
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 933-Scaler

...and also a note/chord detector tool for audio files called Mixed in Key:
https://mixedinkey.com/studio-edition/

...now I would like to know which options do I have that work inside Reason (VST, Rack Extension...) to translate these chords into musical notation so I can learn reading them. Of course, it would be nice if it's some plugin or RE that has some tempo attachment to Reason so I can also read pauses and rhythm. I would only need a tool that understands and translates this information from MIDI, as I can translate the audio into MIDI myself using the tools I already have.

Can you recommend anything like that?

Cheers.

PhillipOrdonez

24 May 2019

Hola,

I think mixed in key will only tell you the key of the audio you run through it. I only have the old version though, so does this one do more things?

I don't have any suggestions for tools that can help you with what you need, sorry.

reddust

24 May 2019

Hola amigo,

there is a new version called studio edition which you can use inside your DAW, compatible with Reason as well, which is the one I have. It tells the key but also every note it hears and how much presence these have, by analyzing those dominant notes it gives you the nearest chord it can find.

TrueStory

15 Jan 2021

reddust wrote:
24 May 2019
Hola amigo,

there is a new version called studio edition which you can use inside your DAW, compatible with Reason as well, which is the one I have. It tells the key but also every note it hears and how much presence these have, by analyzing those dominant notes it gives you the nearest chord it can find.

I just brought this but can't find it in Reason 11 to insert as a VST on a mix channel even though it scanned the folder I installed it in. How do you navigate to this?

Kuranes2021

15 Jan 2021

I'm currently at Work, so i do Not have much time to write, but you should have a look at "Hookpad". That and the two eBooks ("hooktheory") helped me a Lot to learn and finally Produce Chorprogressions.

Have a Look here: hookpad.hooktheory.com

• Information