Reason Compact 3.0

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Faastwalker

24 May 2019

What would you like to see?

I think some sampling ability would be awesome in Reason Compact. A great way to get additional sounds from anywhere into the App to use as hits or pitched to make musical sounds. Some simple sample editing ability thrown in as well. Would also be cool if you could record your musical ideas as audio & convert to MIDI notes.

Jackjackdaw

24 May 2019

On a side note, maybe Compact could have it's own forum section.

sleep1979

24 May 2019

Nothing its too hard to make music on a phone

joeyluck

24 May 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
24 May 2019

I think some sampling ability would be awesome in Reason Compact. A great way to get additional sounds from anywhere into the App to use as hits or pitched to make musical sounds. Some simple sample editing ability thrown in as well. Would also be cool if you could record your musical ideas as audio & convert to MIDI notes.
If you have played with Koala on iOS...I'd like to see something like that! If you haven't checked it out, you should. The best sampling experience I have had on any device. Simple and intuitive. Honestly, I guess since the app exists, something like it doesn't need to exist inside Reason Compact... You can export your song and the batch of samples from it. But maybe it's something to draw inspiration from on features to include in Compact.

The other thing I'd like to see in an update of Reason Compact, maybe before ver. 3, would be ID8. I think it's a perfect candidate for Compact. It gives you a little of a lot of things and great for sketching ideas. I assume it would work similar to Rytmik, which contains a specific set of samples. Right now Compact is just synths and drums, and it could use some acoustic ones among other things. ID8 seems built for the job.

Loque

24 May 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
24 May 2019
Pretty much this. I guess it would make me aggressive if i need to swipe/scroll around, just to get to my sound and stuff. And if i have time for music, i am in my studio...

On the other side i would appreciate to gamble a bit around here and there, but tbh it would be realy rare the case. So to do this, i need Android support - i avoid Apple as much as i can.
Reason12, Win10

fotizimo

24 May 2019

Jackjackdaw wrote:
24 May 2019
This site has beta 9.5 testing section, but from my experience, it isn't possible to get any relevant sections made. I made a great case for the idea of creating a section to highlight how we use Reason in a modular fashion (lesson, examples, refills) and after receiving a lot of votes.... nothing.

But as long as we still have a 9.5 beta section up and running, that is the main thing. :roll:

/s
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

joeyluck

24 May 2019

fotizimo wrote:
24 May 2019
Jackjackdaw wrote:
24 May 2019
This site has beta 9.5 testing section, but from my experience, it isn't possible to get any relevant sections made. I made a great case for the idea of creating a section to highlight how we use Reason in a modular fashion (lesson, examples, refills) and after receiving a lot of votes.... nothing.

But as long as we still have a 9.5 beta section up and running, that is the main thing. :roll:

/s
The 9.5 Beta forum was hidden a while back. The Allihoopa forum as well. Also, we have a new Competitions and Challenges forum. So changed do get made :) I think the concern with a modular section was that it would fragment things? Things you would typically find under the VST forum or under Tutorials and Techniques or Reason General.

chimp_spanner

24 May 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
24 May 2019

Sampling, if it was executed simply/intuitively could actually be cool. You could take your phone out and make little field recording jams. Hit a hand rail, turn it into a melodic patch, and it's self contained in the project file when shared with Reason.

Beyond that I think Compact should stay simple. I've had a lot of experience with apps trying to emulate desktop software and honestly it's just clunky and doesn't work. Compact should be fast, easy and lightweight IMO. Purely a musical notepad.

sublunar

24 May 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
24 May 2019
Sounds to me like some of you guys have never tried Caustic V3.

I hate touch screens and trying to tap on the right little spot to get to what i want.

But Caustic actually works and it's not a chore to use. Image Reason's instruments, effects and sequencer in place of Caustic's. It would be.. fucking awesome.

Try out Caustic and tell me you can't see that working from a Reason perspective.

And a big plus 1 on the sampling aspect. Field recordings for the win.

joeyluck

24 May 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
24 May 2019
Faastwalker wrote:
24 May 2019

Sampling, if it was executed simply/intuitively could actually be cool. You could take your phone out and make little field recording jams. Hit a hand rail, turn it into a melodic patch, and it's self contained in the project file when shared with Reason.
I mentioned this above, you should check out Koala!
https://www.elf-audio.com/koala/

You can at least export the batch of samples to import into a Reason device. Or export the song and then chop it up in Dr. Octo Rex.

kuhliloach

24 May 2019

anything that might make it worthy of the name Reason

Faastwalker

24 May 2019

joeyluck wrote:
24 May 2019
Faastwalker wrote:
24 May 2019

If you have played with Koala on iOS...I'd like to see something like that!

The other thing I'd like to see in an update of Reason Compact, maybe before ver. 3, would be ID8.
I’d not seen Koala. Just checked. Yes, cool looking little App. Definitely something along that line for Reason Compact, with an RE in Reason for the full integration. Would be very cool. Especially if you had an iOS mic. But even with the built in mic it would be a fun & powerful tool to have in your pocket.

I also really like the idea of a Compact Sampler being able to convert audio to MIDI. So you get an idea for a melody or riff whilst out walking. Sing / hum / whistle this into the sampler, convert to MIDI and use to play other devices. That would be one application but there are many more ....... Neptune Compact maybe? :D

I agree, ID8 makes perfect sense for Reason Compact. It almost feels like it was tailor made for Reason Compact in fact. Would be a perfect addition to the sounds we already have in Compact and give the App more scope as a mobile sketch pad / companion for Reason. The addition of these kinds of sounds may also widen the appeal of the App. Win, win 😉

miscend

24 May 2019

The first version reminded me of Auxy. Now this new version is functionally identical to Groovebox. Like there is literally no difference between the apps.

fieldframe
RE Developer

25 May 2019

miscend wrote:
24 May 2019
The first version reminded me of Auxy. Now this new version is functionally identical to Groovebox. Like there is literally no difference between the apps.

miscend

25 May 2019

fieldframe wrote:
25 May 2019
miscend wrote:
24 May 2019

The main thing is the work flow and layout of the different pages. The images don't give a sense of that.

dioxide

25 May 2019

I would like:

1. The iOS version to be ported to desktop, so I can use it on my laptop.
2. This desktop version should have the full set of native and RE devices added to it, along with the mixer and the Reason sequencer.
3. All Propellerhead's development resources can then be focused on this desktop version of Reason Compact featuring all the same features as Reason desktop.
4. Finally add Ableton style clip launching.
5. Thanks.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 May 2019

It's all the good old Roland's :lol:
Roland.gif
Roland.gif (20.57 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

boingy

26 May 2019

dioxide wrote:
25 May 2019
I would like:

2. This desktop version should have the full set of native and RE devices added to it, along with the mixer and the Reason sequencer.
3. All Propellerhead's development resources can then be focused on this desktop version of Reason Compact featuring all the same features as Reason desktop.
5. Thanks.
I can't help but think that if you port the app to the desktop and add in all the extra stuff that Reason has then you end up with, erm, Reason. Don't you? :?:

dioxide

26 May 2019

boingy wrote:
26 May 2019
dioxide wrote:
25 May 2019
I would like:

5. Thanks.
I can't help but think that if you port the app to the desktop and add in all the extra stuff that Reason has then you end up with, erm, Reason. Don't you? :?:
Exactly.

theshoemaker

26 May 2019

I'm not exited. They have been there years ago with Figure. Still waiting for full track, patterns and more sophisticated devices. Just put some nice userinterface on the old devices. Why did they have to bring monotone. Give Subtractor a facelift and have more features ... I really don't get all this fire and forget about old devices. Yes sure, don't break stability. But besides that, facelifting and feature updates to old devices would really be brilliant instead of bringing the next copy of another snyth
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

• Information