Reason beginner.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ComposersDiePoor

23 May 2019

Hi all, I'm new to reason and just joined today. I've a silly question to ask. I was on reason expert's and downloaded the 2016 refill pack. It is an awesome piece of work but my question is this, is there a way to install the refill into my reason or do I use it as an extension when opening a file, ( my refill is on my desktop). Also, I've been watching a lot of propeller heads video on YouTube and I was wondering, what's the best thing to do first and experiment with? Sorry, long winded statement but looking to excel in my music and I hope reason can do this. Thanks.

NekujaK

23 May 2019

Welcome to the big wonderful world of Reason!

Refills are containers (think of them as a special type of folder) that can contain device presets, Rex loops, and samples. You can access the contents of a refill by examining it in Reason's Browser - either navigating directly to it in the Browser, or when trying to load a preset for a device and selecting Browse from the preset menu.

Most folks maintain a dedicated directory on their file system where they keep all their refills. You can organize them any way you want, in a folder structure works for you. You can add this folder as a shortcut in Reason's Browser (see the manual for how to do this).

Have fun!
Last edited by NekujaK on 23 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

bitley

23 May 2019

Create a folder for refills, place it there, keep it backed up. Point out the folder from Reason & always place refills there and you will find them at once. Grab some of the ones from my site as well :)

Boombastix
Competition Winner

23 May 2019

ComposersDiePoor wrote:
23 May 2019
Also, I've been watching a lot of propeller heads video on YouTube and I was wondering, what's the best thing to do first and experiment with?
You know any music? If not, start with "Kong" and the "Drum Sequencer" Player and start making drum beats. It's fun. Try the sequencer midi note lane as an option to the Drum Player. You can use ready made Kong sets, or start sampling into Kong as well. It'll keep you busy. Read the manual for Kong - you can do A LOT with it. Chopping samples, design your own drums, use it as an FX insert for other sounds...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

mjxl

23 May 2019

Tip: you can also drag n drop folders/files straight from your windows file explorer into the explorer list in Reason. (Below instruments/effects etc)

Loque

23 May 2019

In the Reason browser go to the Desktop (or wherever you want to store your refills) and drag it onto the favorite pane in the browser. Check this out:
http://docs.propellerheads.se/reason10/ ... tml#466295

Now you have all your refills directly available from the browser.
Reason12, Win10

ComposersDiePoor

23 May 2019

Thank you for the great advice. It is appreciated. I'll take each piece of advice and work on it. My background in music is a simple one. I have been playing the piano since I was 6, mostly classical but I grew up in the dance/ trance scene in the late 80's early 90's. I've always wanted to write decent pieces just for fun but I've realised that I've got a lot to learn to understand reason. Happy composing everyone, and thanks again for the tips. That'll be tomorrow nights homework.

• Information